eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

47 minutes ago, JasonB said:

I find some of these comments extremely harsh. It's rare to come across such a highly detailed model, at such a reasonable price.  

If someone put up this model as an example of their work I  would be very sensitive in my comments or would choose not to comment at all  , however the fact that someone is putting this model  up for sale then I think we are free to comment and the if seller has a hard enough neck to sell something like this than I think they would be pretty impervious to any comments  on here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

If someone put up this model as an example of their work I  would be very sensitive in my comments or would choose not to comment at all  , however the fact that someone is putting this model  up for sale then I think we are free to comment and the if seller has a hard enough neck to sell something like this than I think they would be pretty impervious to any comments  on here.

Lighten up for christ sake. I was taking the piss. 

• Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

I don`t think the rods will fit on though! .... good project have you got spares for it ? 

171 mentioned above £335 ...  spare arms and legs easily available it seems !  

Robert  

I just cut n pasted the pic from one of my threads, it's the only photo of the 171 I have- their Gauge 1 VS rods....

I did get the parts from Mr Murphy just haven't installed them yet!

Eoin

That was 10 years ago Broite, how time flies  😷😀👮‍♂️

10 hours ago, DiveController said:

I thought that all the MM spares were long sold out. I haven't been able to get a little 'bag of bits' in years

I have some bits for 141's somewhere, handrails, some body parts but no accessory packs

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

A heads up for the narrow gauge men and lovers of the BCDR.

See:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Narrow-Gauge-Railways-of-Ireland-H-Fayle/224098609297?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225113%26meid%3D2d887cf6f6784630abda9ead1509fcb3%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dsb%26sd%3D224098738895%26itm%3D224098609297%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

This is an original Fayle published 74 years ago, NOT the reprint done in the 1960s.

Mac Arnold's writing is not everyone's cup of tea, but his book on the everyday Co. Down Railway was a good read and I learned a lot from it.

See:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-County-Down-Irish-Steam-Scene-R-M-Arnold/224098738895?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225113%26meid%3D26cf76def1fd4fe6a8f79f9166c34517%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D233667443544%26itm%3D224098738895%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

originally published by GALTEEMORE'S Dad to raise funds for the RPSI.

Quite few good Irish Railway books on eBay at present - including the Sligo Leitrim book by Neil Sprinks.

Leslie

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is looking for a copy of IRRS Journal 061 (June 1973), there's a copy on eBay going for £3.50 (€3.90).

This is the one which covers the "legendary" April 1973 Supertrain timetable in addition to articles on GSR coaching stock, CIÉ timetables from 1952-1972 and a colour photo insert of the AC stock exterior and interiors as well as the usual news section etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOURNAL-OF-THE-IRISH-RAILWAY-RECORD-SOCIETY-JUNE-1973-No-61/313185358226?hash=item48eb4d5192:g:iCYAAOSwxElfOTV4

Some fairly greedy sellers looking for mad money on their buy it nows but funnily enough it's invariably the auction stuff that gets out of hand as people see the red mist when outbid at the end. I can only recommend that people use a bid sniper and set their genuine max price they'd like to pay and then ignore the auction until it's over. You'll win some and lose some but you won't overpay. Oh and ignore the mad money buy it nows of course! The market for Irish stuff is clearly growing. This stuff will all be released again at some stage or indeed improved versions thereof.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Do you know something we dont Murph?

Ah I don't but market forces and all that Dave. I would be surprised if nobody releases new and improved models over the coming years. The market seems to be growing as evidenced by the rapid selling out of niche models like the weedspray.

I've an acquaintance in Potsdam and one in Berlin (both Germans) who own MM/IRM stuff. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic about how large the market can get though!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Noel said:

That ebay seller is a shop Noel and that how they sell stuff, Nothing stops them from buying off of Murphys and flogging them that way? 

"Along classic Lines is an online Model Railway retailer, Our E bay shop sells Model Railways old and new in a range of gauges and outlines. From the menu on the left select the gauge you are interested in and explore our range, we are friendly and approachable and are happy to answer your questions. Please add us to your list of favorite sellers and come again. Thank you for looking. Martin"

157 snots, Tennor dearer than the box shifters but 29 post is an ouch!

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 4

Thx. The description says new for all of them, which on eBay should mean, brand new, unopened in box. But the description for at least one of those locomotives says "running perfect". It should be listed as used if it's been opened and run, even if for a few minutes to test it. I've asked the seller to clarify if the locos have been run or not. Awaiting a response.

• Like 2

Probably means that it was test run. A lot of UK based model shops would test run locos before mailing them; doesn't mean that a new loco is then classed as used before you receive it.

In any case, should only concern you if you intend to bid on the item, win the item, and then find out that it has signs of use despite being advertised as new. Still not an issue as the ebay gaurantee covers such a situation in terms of returning the item.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iarnrod said:

Probably means that it was test run. A lot of UK based model shops would test run locos before mailing them; doesn't mean that a new loco is then classed as used before you receive it.

In any case, should only concern you if you intend to bid on the item, win the item, and then find out that it has signs of use despite being advertised as new. Still not an issue as the ebay gaurantee covers such a situation in terms of returning the item.

Murph probably means that it should state one or the other: unopened, or only opened to test.

2 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Indeed but it's easier to just ask in advance before bidding on something. I was recently disappointed with an eBay purchase that was described used but as being in excellent condition. When I opened it up I saw that somebody had pinched the factory fitted speaker and for some reason had removed the main PCB and lost a retaining screw in the process. The detailing on the loco was also broken off in several places. The dark underside of the loco means the pictures are not particularly useful unless very high res, which invariably they are not. In my case it transpired that the seller had himself bought it second hand and sold it on.

DJ that's exactly it. I have seen other sellers indicate that the item is used and then explain in the description that it was just opened to test etc. Returning items from Germany purchased via the mother is a logistics nightmare and quite costly. I may bid on items on Irish and UK eBay and have them delivered to the mother (either because the seller won't ship to Germany or the postage rate is horrendous), to be collected in one go on my next visit home. If a loco turns out to be used it will almost certainly be too late to return it by the time I inspect it unfortunately. Neither seller, nor eBay itself could reasonably be expected to believe that I hadn't just run it myself in the intervening weeks/months.

So I prefer to clarify up front what I'm bidding on these days before placing a bid 🙂

• Like 1