eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

I have myself set a limit that I would be willing to pay for one. slightly more than a new loco at todays prices but nowhere near the 300 quid point, and it has to be pretty much MINT condition, otherwise its too much.

I suspect that although that looks tempting now its going to get a few more than the one bid it has now and there will be at least another 50 quid on it by the end if not more.

9 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

238 not too bad for summit not on the shelf.

I doubt it will finish at that though 😉 . A 111 (I think 8113) was buy it now at 300GBP and it was gone yesterday. That was actually "cheap" compared to what some of them sold for recently.

This one will probably hit 300 at least I would imagine.

I can only recommend the use of eBay bid snipers where you set your genuine max bid and walk away from the auction. You don't get sucked into the bidding fever that way and nobody pays more than they really wanted to. The only losers are sellers and eBay really. If everyone used a bid sniper, prices would be significantly lower on eBay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

238 not too bad for summit not on the shelf.

It actually IS too bad, when you realise that it's a locomotive, the same as any other, inside an 071 Class shell. The MM 071 is a gorgeous model, don't get me wrong, but under the skin, it's no different to an IRM A Class or a Bachmann Class 37. Once somebody is happy paying €150 for what's inside the body and another €150 to €250 for the body itself, if we break things down, then good for them.

22 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I doubt it will finish at that though 😉 . A 111 (I think 8113) was buy it now at 300GBP and it was gone yesterday. That was actually "cheap" compared to what some of them sold for recently.

This one will probably hit 300 at least I would imagine.

I can only recommend the use of eBay bid snipers where you set your genuine max bid and walk away from the auction. You don't get sucked into the bidding fever that way and nobody pays more than they really wanted to. The only losers are sellers and eBay really. If everyone used a bid sniper, prices would be significantly lower on eBay.

Thanks to you, I only use my Sniper nowadays for eBay. Set your bid, walk away and hope for the best. It means that I lose out on a lot of models, but it means not paying insane money that I can't justify or would rather spend on something else.

For example, is an 071 really worth two, or even three, brand new A Class locos? To the buyer, in that exact heated moment of madness, sure, but when you sit back to rationalise in that way...

No.

To anybody longing for an 071, plonk three A's beside a single 071 and ask yourself that question.

A bespoke 071 would be different, as you're also paying for the time, effort and materials that went into the work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

It actually IS too bad, when you realise that it's a locomotive, the same as any other, inside an 071 Class shell. The MM 071 is a gorgeous model, don't get me wrong, but under the skin, it's no different to an IRM A Class or a Bachmann Class 37. Once somebody is happy paying €150 for what's inside the body and another €150 to €250 for the body itself, if we break things down, then good for them.

Got to agree Mr D. They are all great models, but nowhere near what some are forking out for them.

It's none of my business what someone wants to spend their hard earned on, and I understand people missed out when these were released first, but personally, I just wouldn't pay it. I think the most I paid for an 071 in the past was €170, to a member on here. And even then, they were getting harder to pick up.  

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, JasonB said:

Got to agree Mr D. They are all great models, but nowhere near what some are forking out for them.

It's none of my business what someone wants to spend their hard earned on, and I understand people missed out when these were released first, but personally, I just wouldn't pay it. I think the most I paid for an 071 in the past was €170, to a member on here. And even then, they were getting harder to pick up.  

I must confess that I AM one of the clowns (talking more about myself than anybody else, with the benefit of hindsight) who paid over the odds. 077 was the last one missing from my collection, aside from the gouger's dreams, freight grey and NIR, so I paid about €250 for her. All of the rest were between €150 and €200.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I must confess that I AM one of the clowns (talking more about myself than anybody else, with the benefit of hindsight) who paid over the odds.

As I said, it's a personal choice, and if someone wants something that much, fair play to them. I can think of worse things to be spending it on. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

chaps, I can import an entire 1:1 scale motorcycle with a real working engine that goes brum brum and i would have to pay less than that in taxes and charges to get the thing road legal here.

infact i have in the past through the GSP!

I thought second hand stuff wasn't taxed as harshly or at all. guess i thought wrong :( 

15 hours ago, Sean said:

chaps, I can import an entire 1:1 scale motorcycle with a real working engine that goes brum brum and i would have to pay less than that in taxes and charges to get the thing road legal here.

infact i have in the past through the GSP!

I thought second hand stuff wasn't taxed as harshly or at all. guess i thought wrong :( 

Pre Brexit Sean?

It reminds me of the time when I was in college, we drove down to Spain. Coming back, we went through Andorra, and went mad on buying whiskey etc. When we were leaving, heading into France, the French police/border guards saw the Irish plate and pulled us over. Their eyes lit up when they saw the bottles of whiskey! We had to pay a 'fine' for each bottle, then, if we wanted to keep them, pay even more. As it was the end of the holiday, we had little cash, so we left the bottles with them...

Kind of a foreshadowing of the Brexit customs since the UK became a 'third country'

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, skinner75 said:

It reminds me of the time when I was in college, we drove down to Spain. Coming back, we went through Andorra, and went mad on buying whiskey etc. When we were leaving, heading into France, the French police/border guards saw the Irish plate and pulled us over. Their eyes lit up when they saw the bottles of whiskey! We had to pay a 'fine' for each bottle, then, if we wanted to keep them, pay even more. As it was the end of the holiday, we had little cash, so we left the bottles with them...

Kind of a foreshadowing of the Brexit customs since the UK became a 'third country'

You should have run off and hidden on this island, until it turned from Spanish territory into French...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheasant_Island

18 minutes ago, Broithe said:

You should have run off and hidden on this island, until it turned from Spanish territory into French...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheasant_Island

Funny enough, I only watched a vid on youtube on this a couple of months ago! Great channel this guy has - he has a vid on the Lartigue railway too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwjtjgiivE

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Pre Brexit Sean?

1328862811_Screenshot2022-03-23at18_49_29.png.b7f8c69d292fd1e23fbbcaae174b676d.png

nah its still 25 for an old scooter.

the one good thing about the global shipping program is that all the charges are paid in advance so customs typically wont interfere with the package. in the case of a motor vehicle its still all down to VRT as far as i know.

Think ive found a niche that commands even more money than irish GM's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353935855151?hash=item5268388e2f:g:lugAAOSwWGdhwxHO

tube stock!

Edited by Sean

On 23/3/2022 at 6:52 PM, Sean said:

1328862811_Screenshot2022-03-23at18_49_29.png.b7f8c69d292fd1e23fbbcaae174b676d.png

nah its still 25 for an old scooter.

the one good thing about the global shipping program is that all the charges are paid in advance so customs typically wont interfere with the package. in the case of a motor vehicle its still all down to VRT as far as i know.

Think ive found a niche that commands even more money than irish GM's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353935855151?hash=item5268388e2f:g:lugAAOSwWGdhwxHO

tube stock!

Well the VRT has zero to do with Brexit, That is an Irish Charge. why would that change?

• Agree 1