Murphy Models Mk2d

Rate this topic

popeye

Has someone got a complete list of the "original" IE run of these from MM? I have the following and am trying to figure out which ones I missed out on:

MkIId    MM    MM5229    5229    MkIId open std, IE                                                                                                                                                                    
MkIId    MM    MM5236    5236    MkIId open std, IE                                                                                     
MkIId    MM    MM5609    5609    MkIId EGV, IE                                                                                       
MkIId    MM    MM5407    5407    MkIId restaurant, IE                                                                                        

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Has someone got a complete list of the "original" IE run of these from MM? I have the following and am trying to figure out which ones I missed out on:

MkIId    MM    MM5229    5229    MkIId open std, IE                                                                                                                                                                    
MkIId    MM    MM5236    5236    MkIId open std, IE                                                                                     
MkIId    MM    MM5609    5609    MkIId EGV, IE                                                                                       
MkIId    MM    MM5407    5407    MkIId restaurant, IE                                                                                        

I find the Hatton's website is good for this sort of thing - you can filter their Products page. However, it takes a bit of fiddling as liveries, era etc. can be mis-categorised. I had a quick play with the filters and this might cover a lot of it? 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults?search/scales/OO/product-types/Coaches/brands/Murphy Models/liveries/CIE Córas Iompair Éireann%2CIrish Rail | Iarnród Éireann/stockstatus/all

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Thanks 1

Another couple of questions for the experts before I pull the trigger and place a pre-order for these....

5103 is listed on the IRM shop as a first. According to my second edition 1989 Irish Railways T&T 5103 was a standard by then. Was it converted from a first post the 1987 rebranding to IR, or is the book perhaps in error?

5154 was a standard by 1989, having started life as a composite. Does anyone know if the modelled version will be the composite type or standard type? Were there even any internal changes to the coach.

Some useful info on the handful of mk2d firsts and what became of them here:

https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/rpsi-collection/76/304-mk2-first-open

I've decided to just pre-order 1 rake of IR ones. The way things are going with the hobby I will be suprised if either MM or IRM don't do these again in a few years so I am not buying any to renumber. 

I received the 'ready to purchase' notifications for the mk2D's that I pre-ordered. However, I would like to get some clarification before I pay. The carriages are listed as e.g '5203 Irish Railways Mark 2d Standard - Irish Rail (Orange roof)', which I take to mean IR tippex livery with orange roof (exactly what I'm looking for). However, the description section for all of the 2D's states 'CIE Supertrain Livery'. Can anybody here shed any light on the matter?

Many thanks!

Edited by Fiacra

34 minutes ago, Fiacra said:

I received the 'ready to purchase' notifications for the mk2D's that I pre-ordered. However, I would like to get some clarification before I pay. The carriages are listed as e.g '5203 Irish Railways Mark 2d Standard - Irish Rail (Orange roof)', which I take to mean IR tippex livery with orange roof (exactly what I'm looking for). However, the description section for all of the 2D's states 'CIE Supertrain Livery'. Can anybody here shed any light on the matter?

Many thanks!

The details are still placeholders, so only the header information is correct, in that case, its "5203 Irish Railways Mark 2d Standard - Irish Rail (Orange roof)" - everything else is placeholder information, pending any details from Mr. Murphy.

56 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

The details are still placeholders, so only the header information is correct, in that case, its "5203 Irish Railways Mark 2d Standard - Irish Rail (Orange roof)" - everything else is placeholder information, pending any details from Mr. Murphy.

Perfect - thank you!

Hi everyone,

Get your Murphy Models Mark 2d pre-orders in via IRM!

Mark2galway.jpg.ece464750e33b7cd853b3bb4a629d689.jpg

Murphy Models has announced that their new range of Mark 2d coaches are due in stock later this year and will feature both IR livery with white stripes and orange roof and the classic Galway livery.

Priced at €59.95 per coach, you can place your pre-order with no money down by selecting the coaches below. Once we have updated images from Murphy Models we will share them too!

Pre-Order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/murphy-models-mark-2d-coaches/availability_pre-order

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7

The "Pay Now" option is excellent!

If one places several pre-orders to distribute the cost, one can subsequently click the "Pay Now" button to pay off each of the smaller pre-orders as funds permit.

For me, it's easier than placing one larger order and paying all in one go.

Excellent idea, guys, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, aclass007 said:

Which livery is actually being produced? The post above says IR livery with white stripes, yet the images and description in the shop says CIE Supertrain livery.... 

Photos and text are placeholders.

IR twin white stripe livery and Galway livery are being produced.

45 minutes ago, aclass007 said:

Which livery is actually being produced? The post above says IR livery with white stripes, yet the images and description in the shop says CIE Supertrain livery.... 

Those images are placeholders only. It is IR with stripes

Out of curiousity, does anyone know how late the 'IR' variant livery lasted on carriages? It seems to have been done away with pretty quick once the IÉ variant came in, when you consider there was still the odd pre-1987 livery Craven knocking about as late as 1996. The logo lasted on locos up until 2005 (147 being the last carrier).

I suppose it was probably an easier thing to change as it was just a logo versus a whole livery, I haven't come across photos of 'mixed' rakes with different logos (unless I wasn't paying attention which is likely).

Edited by Niles
  • Like 1

I started junior infants in 1996 and stayed in that school until first class around 99 or 2000.

the main line to dublin would run by our playground at eye level, the playground might have even been a little above rail height but you got an epic view of passing trains one way or another so normally when we heard the 071 off in the distance we would run down for a quick look at the passing train.

One thing i always remembered clearly was that i always tried to count the amount of "ir intercity" versus "intercity" logos that i would see because they were an odd one out that you would only see sometimes. 

• Like 4

On 19/8/2023 at 12:23 PM, murphaph said:

Another couple of questions for the experts before I pull the trigger and place a pre-order for these....

5103 is listed on the IRM shop as a first. According to my second edition 1989 Irish Railways T&T 5103 was a standard by then. Was it converted from a first post the 1987 rebranding to IR, or is the book perhaps in error?

So I managed to find a copy of the first edition (for 1p) and it seems at time of print in August 1987 the following coaches were all in the process of being converted from open firsts to open standards, remaining firsts bolded:

5101 - conversion complete - 56 standard class seats

5102 - conversion complete - 56 standard class seats

5103 - conversion complete - 62 standard class seats

5104 conversion incomplete - 42 first class seats

5105 conversion complete - 56 standard class seats

5106 conversion incomplete - 42 first class seats

5106 seems to have remained like this until withdrawal as it ran on Enterprise duty until the DD's came along to relieve the mk2d's on the Belfast corridor.

I suspect 5104 was already being converted to standard class in or about August 1987. 

It would be nice to see the post conversion vehicles (increased seating, not necessarily lined up with the 7 windows) modelled at some stage given most of them ran their entire IR/IE livery lives like that. 

Edited by murphaph
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the Mk2D's are due AFTER the 141's, a relief to me, and presumably to many others

4 hours ago, Bob229 said:

Anyone visit Murphy Models stand?

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Dying to hear and see more of the current and pending projects!

2 hours ago, DonderBlitzen said:

I did, 141s end of January. Re run of 071s and 201s with some new paint schemes. Can't remember when the coaches are but further on in the year. He mentioned something else in the works but couldn't remember what it was at the time.

And the other thread on the new run of Mk2D's is here:

Edited by DJ Dangerous

I always find it a bit interesting how much the two different liveries make the coaches look slightly different shapes, the orange feel more rounded at the roof ends than the Galways at first glance.

looking forward to finally being able to have a full rake of Galways after many years with just the EGV

• Agree 1

Were there any of the original IE or ST livery Mk2D's on display for colour comparison?

I find that the shades of orange on both are very very similar, and could almost do with being swapped around.

I have a hazy memory of the ST orange being more Jacobs-biscuit-y orange, like the Atlanteans, and the IR and IE being a more redish orange.

2023-10-30 20.45.31.jpg