Murphy Models Mk2d

Rate this topic

popeye

That's a real shame. I got a set of  the IR ones today and I'm pretty happy with them. I really wanted this run of models to be correct, both for Paddy Murphy and for the Irish modelling scene in general. Interesting to see the feedback over the next few days.

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Could Murphy Models not just release vinyl overlays for people to apply to the coach sides themselves?

It 60 notes a coach, should be right from day one but glad I don't produce  or make these things!! I'd be peeved.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, dave182 said:

Here are the IR versions I picked up today (I posted these images on facebook earlier, but might be good to post them here also.)

20240117_194231.jpg

20240117_194310.jpg

Colour looks way better on these, I thought the pre production ones were a touch too red.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Relieved to see the IR ones as delivered. The colour looks fine. The early pre-production ones looked very red indeed. Mine are on the way to me as we speak. Got the IRM mail earlier. The Galway livery EGV error is inexplicable really. It's not a minor detail and it was flagged before they went to production it seems. Unless there was some oddball livery on the prototype that we are all unaware of?

Quick question for those already in possession of theirs....did the bogies end up 21mm friendly in the end? There was some speculation they might and they look different to the original design. Rotating axlebearings?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, murphaph said:

Relieved to see the IR ones as delivered. The colour looks fine. The early pre-production ones looked very red indeed. Mine are on the way to me as we speak. Got the IRM mail earlier. The Galway livery EGV error is inexplicable really. It's not a minor detail and it was flagged before they went to production it seems. Unless there was some oddball livery on the prototype that we are all unaware of?

Quick question for those already in possession of theirs....did the bogies end up 21mm friendly in the end? There was some speculation they might and they look different to the original design. Rotating axlebearings?

Hi @murphaph

Here is a close up of the bogies. Plastic cast, no rotating bearings. There are plastic brake shoes(?) moulded in the correct position up close to each individual wheel, which might foul a 21mm wheelset. However, they are not visibile through the bogie so I don't think they'd be missed if you were to remove them. I've no first hand experience with 21mm conversions, but I think there is plenty of space within the frame for 21mm wheelsets.

Edit: bogies rotate independent of couplers

20240118_194103.jpg

Edited by dave182
Additional info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

16 minutes ago, dave182 said:

Hi @murphaph

Here is a close up of the bogies. Plastic cast, no rotating bearings. There are plastic brake shoes(?) moulded in the correct position up close to each individual wheel, which might foul a 21mm wheelset. However, they are not visibile through the bogie so I don't think they'd be missed if you were to remove them. I've no first hand experience with 21mm conversions, but I think there is plenty of space within the frame for 21mm wheelsets.

Edit: bogies rotate independent of couplers

20240118_194103.jpg

Looks like there's plenty of room to slide each wheel 2mm further along the axle!

No lighting pickups? Are the coaches illuminated? I'd just assumed that the coaches would be lit, as with IRM coaches.

10 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Gorgeous models but I think the prototype livery is not particularly nice.........

Edit: I mean the Galway livery.

Racist!

• Funny 1

26 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Looks like there's plenty of room to slide each wheel 2mm further along the axle!

No lighting pickups? Are the coaches illuminated? I'd just assumed that the coaches would be lit, as with IRM coaches.

Racist!

No lighting. Never has been in these coaches and I certainly think the typical UK retail prices begin quoted for these no one could expect them to be lit. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

16 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

No lighting. Never has been in these coaches and I certainly think the typical UK retail prices begin quoted for these no one could expect them to be lit. 

My bad, I thought that these coaches were priced on par with IRM coaches.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, DJ Dangerous said:

My bad, I thought that these coaches were priced on par with IRM coaches.

I think we have to take into account that IRM Mk2’s are produced on the back of the mass UK market product which helps make the Irish models viable. Also if I recall correctly IRM sell the vast majority of their products directly to help make them viable.  Paddy Murphy sells all products through retailers as far as I’m aware, so all credit to him for maintaining a very competitive price. 
I think Fran, Patrick and the team would be the first to admit that Accurascale tandem products help them justify the IRM products. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I think we have to take into account that IRM Mk2’s are produced on the back of the mass UK market product which helps make the Irish models viable. Also if I recall correctly IRM sell the vast majority of their products directly to help make them viable.  Paddy Murphy sells all products through retailers as far as I’m aware, so all credit to him for maintaining a very competitive price. 
I think Fran, Patrick and the team would be the first to admit that Accurascale tandem products help them justify the IRM products. 

Honestly can't remember whether the Accurascale Mk2B/C's piggybacked off the IRM NIR coaches or vice versa. Too long ago!

Bottom line is that the MM Mk2D's are unlit, and are 21mm-friendly.

Edit:

Actually, thinking back, the IRM NIR Mk2B/C coaches were not launched off the back of the UK market.

The IRM / AS business model was quite different back then, and the UK arm wasn't really keeping the Irish arm afloat.

Somebody, possibly @Ironroad (sorry if it wasn't you) queried at launch why the NIR coaches weren't being sold individually, only in multipacks.

The answer from IRM was that they couldn't risk some of the coaches not selling...

They sold out super fast in the end, so their fears weren't justified, LOL, but it serves to highlight how things have changed.

Also, saying that they were "never" X, Y or Z doesn't really stand up.

They were never 21mm-friendly, but they are now.

Things change over time.

However, your point on IRM having reduced overheads compared to Paddy as they are both brand and retailer, whereas Paddy has to retail via others, is still valid.

Also, for newer launches like the Park Royals, you're right, there is a distinct possibility that Accurascale sales actually have subsidised the price of the Park Royals.

I wonder how earlier IRM coaches vs. Murphy Models coaches compare(d) price-wise from retailers / re-sellers.

Edited by DJ Dangerous
Reflection
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I wonder how earlier IRM coaches vs. Murphy Models coaches compare(d) price-wise from retailers / re-sellers.

I think the Mk2’s are the first IRM coaches.

You’re correct the Irish Mk2 by IRM were announced first but I would think the Accurascale ones were well in the planning by that point. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I think the Mk2’s are the first IRM coaches.

You’re correct the Irish Mk2 by IRM were announced first but I would think the Accurascale ones were well in the planning by that point. 

Good point!

As an anecdote...

When I tried paying off my NIR coach packs, maybe a year ago or a year and a half ago, the IRM website wasn't as well laid out as today.

Paying off the Mk2D's was super easy. Just wait a few seconds for the "Pay Now" button to stop moving around, scroll down to see it again, then pay.

Back with the NIR coaches, there was no option to pay, and somebody told me that you had to click "Cancel and Edit" in order to pay.

Did so and there was no option to pay, and in trying to cancel cancelling the order, I instead cancelled the bloody order.

😂😂😂

Got onto support and Patrick sorted it for me super fast!

The one curiosity was that re-placing the order was more expensive than the original order has been. This was because the bundle discounts had been applied in error the first time around. They shouldn't have been applied as the margins were so tight on the coaches.

Expensive lesson!

So, I'd say the NIR coaches would be a good comparison for non-subsidised coaches, and the Park Royals would be a good comparison as subsidised coaches.

In terms of cost, the NIR packs work out at €66.66 a coach, in a three pack, the Orange 4-packs are €67.50 a coach, and the Park Royals are individually €69.99 each. The MM Mk2d's are €59.99 each, but do not have on board lighting, or close coupling systems, etc. So it's all pretty much on par tbh.

Just now, BosKonay said:

In terms of cost, the NIR packs work out at €66.66 a coach, in a three pack, the Orange 4-packs are €67.50 a coach, and the Park Royals are individually €69.99 each. The MM Mk2d's are €59.99 each, but do not have on board lighting, or close coupling systems, etc. So it's all pretty much on par tbh.

Also we're down to just 6 versions still in stock - should we get more?

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/murphy-models-mark-2d-coaches/availability_in-stock

22 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/murphy-models-mark-2d-coaches/availability_in-stock

Was too tired to do those sums last night!

😂

One thing that I forgot to take into account was the increased unit cost when selling individually over multi-packs. Just came back to me after seeing your breakdown. I understand that adds a lot to the unit cost.

How are you down to only six versions left? Have you been eating them or something?

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Quite possibly yes,  I have not ordered any but I suspect these will be in the shops for a bit anyhow.

12 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Quite possibly yes,  I have not ordered any but I suspect these will be in the shops for a bit anyhow.

Hard to tell, we've shipped out over 1000 coaches since they landed, certainly proving popular!

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Hard to tell, we've shipped out over 1000 coaches since they landed, certainly proving popular!

Bit of a Drought from the last release. Looking at my Stock list of Irish Coaches,  I am getting to the point of saturation really!! 

I got rid of the Lima Galways and bought a rake of those as I do like the livery!

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

its a pity the gene van is wrong looking at the photos not only is the black band too short but you cant fix the model as the intercity writing is also in the wrong place as well as the band then been also wrong. normally paddy gets it right so i wonder is this a factory issue using the original design especially as paddy had been told by numeroous individuals and he does listen

18 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Honestly can't remember whether the Accurascale Mk2B/C's piggybacked off the IRM NIR coaches or vice versa. Too long ago!

Bottom line is that the MM Mk2D's are unlit, and are 21mm-friendly.

Edit:

Actually, thinking back, the IRM NIR Mk2B/C coaches were not launched off the back of the UK market.

The IRM / AS business model was quite different back then, and the UK arm wasn't really keeping the Irish arm afloat.

Somebody, possibly @Ironroad (sorry if it wasn't you) queried at launch why the NIR coaches weren't being sold individually, only in multipacks.

The answer from IRM was that they couldn't risk some of the coaches not selling...

They sold out super fast in the end, so their fears weren't justified, LOL, but it serves to highlight how things have changed.

Also, saying that they were "never" X, Y or Z doesn't really stand up.

They were never 21mm-friendly, but they are now.

Things change over time.

However, your point on IRM having reduced overheads compared to Paddy as they are both brand and retailer, whereas Paddy has to retail via others, is still valid.

Also, for newer launches like the Park Royals, you're right, there is a distinct possibility that Accurascale sales actually have subsidised the price of the Park Royals.

It was me, but my issue was not with the concept of selling in multi packs but rather the combinations of coaches that made up these packs. The point I was making was that IRM was shooting itself in the foot and could have sold even more of these coaches had the the combinations in which they were being offered been more flexible. In my case I would have liked to be able to purchase prototypical rakes in both liveries,  a total of fourteen coaches, but had to settle on one livery and nine coaches in order to put together a prototypical rake of seven coaches, leaving me with two redundant coaches.  I could not justify buying eighteen coaches when all I wanted was fourteen. This point seems to have gone over Fran's head and his reaction was rather rude. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

I corrected the mistake on both ends of EGV 5601 and added IE transfers,just need to do around the windows -a big improvement. 

IMG_2822.jpeg

its an improvement definatly  but not been able to move the intercity wording and narrowing the band is what  stops it i wonder is thee a transfer out there that could replace the band and writing if removed. also from looking at photos it appears the windows frames  were black not silver

On 19/1/2024 at 8:43 AM, BosKonay said:

Get some more! I'd buy a egv and a buffet in IR livery if you got them back in stock. No other retailer gives the cash back rewards IRM does so it's slightly cheaper to buy from ye.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1