Murphy Models Mk2d

Rate this topic

popeye

The new mk2s have the correct shade of orange unlike the original ones which were almost yellow. The new orange is more correct and much deeper (ie more red and less yellow in the mix). The galway liveries seem to have the original orange with too much yellow as per the photos above.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, Noel said:

The new mk2s have the correct shade of orange unlike the original ones which were almost yellow. The new orange is more correct and much deeper (ie more red and less yellow in the mix). The galway liveries seem to have the original orange with too much yellow as per the photos above.

By original, do you mean the ST models or the IE models?

11 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

I thought it was way too bright. Maybe as the interior was orange too. Did not see Paddy so did anyone ask if the couplings had been improved. I suspect not.

Too bright, as in too much yellow in the mix?

Oof, I actually thought they looked very bright myself but assumed it was just me, reminded me of a particular custom vespa that has been on the scene going back years and years.

I would say too red rather than too yellow, almost a little dayglo looking.

maybe its how they looked new versus a few years in service or maybe its just me remembering them wrong.

the above posted shots did not look as intensely coloured as the samples that were on display yesterday. a definite noticeable difference from other runs of intercity coaches.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Email from IRM today that Murphy Models' Mk2D coaches are due in stock in a little over a week.

The IRM website says that payments will be charged on Wednesday, January 17th.

So, to avoid disappointment, get the fingers out, get the cards out, and get splurging on the IRM website!

Posting this on both of the Mk2D threads to help as many people as possible.

Edited by DJ Dangerous

Email from IRM today that Murphy Models' Mk2D coaches are due in stock in a little over a week.

The IRM website says that payments will be charged on Wednesday, January 17th.

So, to avoid disappointment, get the fingers out, get the cards out, and get splurging on the IRM website!

Posting this on both of the Mk2D threads to help as many people as possible.

• Like 1

I'm planning on buying 4 of these coaches. Can anyone recommend a good 4 carriage rake? Representative of something slightly prototypical if that is possible for such a short rake. I was thinking of an 5603 EGV behind the loco, followed by a 5404 buffet car,  a 5103 1st and a 5203 standard.

By the time these coaches were in the IR livery the only remaining first class coach was only used on Dublin-Belfast services IIRC. I think a pair of standards would be more prototypical for this era but the first wouldn't be "wrong", just very unlikely to see a 4 coach train with that sole remaining first on a Belfast service I would imagine. The Mk2s were the mainstay on Dublin-Belfast until the DeDietrichs relieved them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, raymurph said:

Thanks Murphaph. What about the composite coach for the 4 car rake instead of the first?

A Composite would be an option. Most if not all Composites (I would need to check) were re-graded as Standard Class during the late 70s/80s when CIE ended up with a shortage of MK2D Standards and a surplus of Composites when CIE decreased train frequency and increased train length following the 1st 1970s Oil Crisis.

As far as I recall the Dublin-Rosslare and Dublin-Sligo trains were standard Class only and relatively short (5-6 coach length) when CIE 'cascaded" MK 2D coaches to both routes following the introduction of MK3 Coaches during the Mid-1980s.

Four coaches behind a 001 or a pair of 121 Class would be a reasonable representation of a Dublin-Rosslare or Dublin-Sligo train,  or  the 001 worked afternoon Heuston-Waterford which was a Standard Class MK2D link during the late 80s early 90s. (I took a series of photos of the train still in the CIE Supertrain scheme near Cherryville Junction in 87-88

The CIE Enterprise and other the Heuston Coach MK2D links tended to use longer rakes.

• Like 4
  • Informative 2

On 10/1/2024 at 2:32 PM, Mayner said:

A Composite would be an option. Most if not all Composites (I would need to check) were re-graded as Standard Class during the late 70s/80s when CIE ended up with a shortage of MK2D Standards and a surplus of Composites when CIE decreased train frequency and increased train length following the 1st 1970s Oil Crisis.

As far as I recall the Dublin-Rosslare and Dublin-Sligo trains were standard Class only and relatively short (5-6 coach length) when CIE 'cascaded" MK 2D coaches to both routes following the introduction of MK3 Coaches during the Mid-1980s.

Four coaches behind a 001 or a pair of 121 Class would be a reasonable representation of a Dublin-Rosslare or Dublin-Sligo train,  or  the 001 worked afternoon Heuston-Waterford which was a Standard Class MK2D link during the late 80s early 90s. (I took a series of photos of the train still in the CIE Supertrain scheme near Cherryville Junction in 87-88

The CIE Enterprise and other the Heuston Coach MK2D links tended to use longer rakes.

When Mk.2 air-conditioned stock came to the Sligo links, they got a composite (still with 1st, and between the gen van and the buffet) in each of the two sets, plus buffet and 4 or 5 standards. The Rosslare sets were all standard, and shorter, so probably more helpful as regards as 4-5 carriage train, including gen van. Ex-composites often turned up as one of the three or so standards, with gen van and buffet.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

I need some clarification as to the descriptions provided on the IRM website;

No. 5231 is described as a standard yet the picture appears to be a composite

No. 5212 is described as a standard yet the picture appears to be a 1st

No. 5203 is described as a standard yet the picture looks like a 1st

Is it the case that the wrong pictures are posted and these should be pictures of the standard and the only composite is 5154 and the only 1st is 5103

Many Thanks

4 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

I need some clarification as to the descriptions provided on the IRM website;

No. 5231 is described as a standard yet the picture appears to be a composite

No. 5212 is described as a standard yet the picture appears to be a 1st

No. 5203 is described as a standard yet the picture looks like a 1st

Is it the case that the wrong pictures are posted and these should be pictures of the standard and the only composite is 5154 and the only 1st is 5103

Many Thanks

The images are just placeholders. Same as Hatton’s, Rails etc.

There are two threads on the same thing. Maybe a mod could merge them?

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

Good call on the composite instead of a standard. Bit more variety to the train.

I used to not be a fan of the Mark 2D Composite but in later times grew to love it in a rake😀     

You're right- it adds variety- usually a different shade of orange and more 'battered' than the rest!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, raymurph said:

Are all the mark 2d's really sold out on IRM website? Seemed to happen overnight.

Delivery starts this morning and once we have all preorders paid up and sorted we’ll know what the balance of stock is. There is a small amount above and beyond what’s needed which will go back on sale in the next 48 hours. HtH 

17 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Delivery starts this morning and once we have all preorders paid up and sorted we’ll know what the balance of stock is. There is a small amount above and beyond what’s needed which will go back on sale in the next 48 hours. HtH 

Home after another long day...

I had to split my order into several smaller ones due to weight restrictions.

I've just finished paying for all of the orders. I didn't receive payment requests for all of them, only some of them, so is it OK that I paid them all anyway?

Hi everyone, 

Can confirm that our full allocation has now arrived with us and will soon be counted into stock and dispatch will begin. As @BosKonay says, once they're cleared the rest of the stock will go back on sale. We have a bit of headroom, so no need to panic just yet if you wish to get an order in!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Its a shame the livery error has not been corrected on Galway Generator van. The black should be the whole length of the van just beyond the windows. 

I was about to buy one today but decided against it. 

20240117_172332.jpg

Edited by BEANO3005
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 2

10 minutes ago, BEANO3005 said:

Its a shame the livery error has not been corrected on Galway Generator van. The black should be the whole length of the van just beyond the windows. 

I was about to buy one today but decided against it. 

20240117_172332.jpg

Ah crap.

Was the black band incorrect on the Galway EGV's that Paddy ran a few years ago, too?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Ah crap.

Was the black band incorrect on the Galway EGV's that Paddy ran a few years ago, too?

Yes....... having worked the real thing I can confirm what Beano has stated is correct......

• Like 3
  • Informative 1