Connolly Station in "N"

Rate this topic

driver301

IMAG0207.jpgHi All,

Its been a while since I last posted on the site & the last time I did I was planning a model of Colbert Station Limerick. After careful consideration & much head scratching I decided to go with a model of Connolly instead.

The deciding factors for me were:

1)The ability to run through trains.

2)The variety of stock that ran/runs into Connolly Station.

I have had to scale the model back a fair bit due to space constraints but the overall look of the model should still be fine once fully completed. The model measures 6 ft x 3 ft & is built on an Argos wallpaper pasting table which folds meaning the model can be easily transported to exhibitions.

The model now has all woodwork, track-work, electrics done & I will be starting the buildings this week.I will post the up to more photos soon & hope to post regular updates as the model evolves.

IMAG0204.jpg

Edited by driver301

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words lads. I will be posting plenty of pictures in the coming days/weeks so you will be able to see the layout develop. :)

@JHB171achill The Locomotives are all shapeways 3d prints. The 2700 DMU is a modified Farish class 158, the 2800 DMU is a heavily modified Farish class 158, my 22000 ICR is again a heavily modified Farish product this time being a class 168. All transfers were supplied by Des from Studio scale models.

Below is a closer image of 2 locomotives standing in the loop line area of the layout(apologies for the poor quality of the image)

IMAG0210.jpg

Wow! Well done on this, I had a go at n-gauge and modelling Irish subjects but I was getting so frustrated at the fiddlyness (is that a word?!) that I gave up! The detail you have achieved on the rolling stock is fantastic! Did you find it difficult to get a chassis that would fit under the 071's? The layout itself looks great and really captures the feel of Connolly. Lolling forward to see this progressing further!

The greatest talents make it so you can't pick the gauge with ease and this is what you have achieved so far. Keep the photos coming. I as a kid modelled in N scale and loved it. Have slowly moved up in scale since from N to HOm to HO and now On30. N scale was definitely the hardest to gain realism in. Thanks again for sharing. Love the locos can't believe they were 3D printed.

• 3 months later...

IMAG0322.jpg

Hi Guys,

I got a bit of work done over Christmas & now the north end of the station is taking shape. Work is now progressing at a decent pace & I will post updates on a more regular basis. Here are a couple of images showing some recent work (apologies about the picture quality)

IMAG0321.jpg

That is indeed a masterpiece of one with exceptional eyesight - and skills.

Dare I live in hope of seeing a few blue 4.4.0s about the place!

On a serious note, this idea of 3D prints seems to be generating a lot of valuable new opportunities. Presumably it would be a relatively simple matter to churn out DD stock, various modern railcars and 141s. For a 141, though, what chassis would be short enough?

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Just to try answer a couple of queries from your comments:

1)Regarding the signalling I think I will simply scratchbuild dummy modern signals. At a later stage I may try to replace these with working colour lights.

2)All of the DMUs are converted British Stock:

The IE Class 29000 is a UK 350 EMU.

The IE Class 2800 is a heavily modified UK 150.

The IE 22000 ICR is a modified UK 168.

The IE 2700 is a modified UK 158.

3)The Locos are all Shapeways items which just need to be finished & a suitable donor chassis found. With the 121s & 141s I used a lifelike SW9 chassis which was short enough.

I hope to get some more work done over the weekend & will hopefully post an update early next week.

Excellent work there Driver,

very interesting to see someone tackle Irish outline in 'N' gauge. The chance to be able to model a more prototypical station/trains whilst not taking over the whole house is a great bonus! Great possibilities with Connelly Station... DARTS, Commuters, Enterprise etc... not to mention the station building itself which is an imposing bit of architecture. Keep up the good work :tumbsup:

Tom