Question

• Answers 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Gents,

I completed these patterns last night, and with that, the last big obstacle to getting the ammonia rake out is now completed as the whitemetal mould for the bogie flat, tanker and barrier wagon can now be manufactured. More news to follow.

Bogie flat vacuum chamber-reservoir

vacuum 1.jpg

vacuum 2.jpg

Barrier wagon tank end and valve gear

barrier wagon end and valve gear.jpg

Edited by Weshty

Thanks lads. I'm glad they pass muster. I can tell you that an hour in the man-shed lathing away is an hour of utter zen-contentment. Most enjoyable!

Another major issue I have resolved is the weight of the Ammonia wagons. The MIR ones looked amazing, but weighed in at a hefty 240g. So a full rake with barriers would be over 1.7kg. The initial solution I designed was using a brass cylinder with resin ends, however these were nearly as heavy as the all resin MIR ones. I considered using plastic pipe, but the difficulty was finding one of the right diameter. There was also the difficulty of ensuring a clean true edge to fit on the resin ends. Frankly, this was one of the main reasons for the project stalling back a few months ago.

I have resolved it by replacing the brass cylinder with a prerolled etched brass tube. This has the benefit of ensuring exact dimensions, with pre-etched joint lines just as on the prototype and near halving the weight of the overall wagon. This brings a full 6+2 rake weight to just over 900g. Result!

The test etch highlighted a few glitches and the minor corrections required. I also had the benefit of getting some photos from Richie and Dave that provided much needed detail of the buffer ends and the brake gear arrangement (Take a bow lads). As you know detailed high resolution photos on the net are rarer than hen's teeth. These addendums will all be addressed in the next few weeks and the finalised design can then go to the manufacturers.

Edited by Weshty

I've sent off the finalised Barrier Tank Container etch this morning.

The original test etch and its construction revealed some minor errors for correction and a few items that could be improved. I've added extra detail and mounting holes for all the outlet valve points and control gear, more accurate corner fittings (left hand side and right handside versions) and added suitable etch points for easier bending and construction.

Edited by Weshty
clarify changes

Hi all

The Ammonia Tanker /wagon kit/model design has now been finalised and sent off for production, pending final adjustments.

There have been siginificant redesign to get the tanker element right and add in some other ancilliary detail on the side skirts and underframes.

All going well, it will be available in 6 weeks time, end of January 2015.

I have no doubt that these kits will raise the bar again Des. From concept, through design, and the finished product that's a lot of work for a man working on his own. Even more amazing is how quick it has taken. Take a well deserved break during the festive season.

Rich,

Well lads, right to the wire, but the ammonia etch pattern is now formally approved and closed off and the photo etch can now be manufactured.

All final tweaks and adjustments have been made to ensure an easy and accurate build (mimimising reaming and widening holes, sufficient slot widths for parts, brake assembly detailing etc.). I've added in as much detail as I could harvest from the scant (and low resolution) photographic evidence that exists.

You can expect them to be in stock by end of January.

The instructions have also been written up, so there will be no delays!

Edited by Weshty

In anticipation of the release of the SSM model, I've been browsing the web for info/images. As Modellers we love when there is a deviation from the norm, and I think I've found one regarding the Ammonia tank livery. Take a look at the rake pictured in this early black and white photo (credit: http://www.geograph.ie). Note the last tank wagon is black! (or a very very dark something) Never ever seen that before. Just delivered? Mid repairs maybe?

http://http://www.geograph.ie/photo/3266202

BJust checked my pics of the ammonias they range in colour from bright white, dirty white, yellowish and all the way to dirty brown/black. The ammonias in the early to mid 1990's were hauled by the well aged a class which spluttered oil everywhere plus as with all freight stock they were rarely if ever washed. Theres also variants in the livery especially logos and placement of logos.

Edited by Riversuir226

Hi all,

The Ammonia etches have arrived and I will be packing the earliest orders first for delivery in the next few days. Here are some shots of the constructed model.

Replacing the brass tube with a rolled brass barrel has brought the weight down from 220g to 145g.

The brass tube on the Barrier Wagon has also been replaced with a plastic version, reducing the weight from 175g to 110g.

SSM-K48-Ammomia-Tanker-Brakegear1.jpg

SSM-K48-Ammomia-Tanker1.jpg

SSM-K48-Ammomia-Tanker2.jpg

They look amazing. Love the extra details added to the production model. Hats off to Weshty for an excellent job on producing these. Much more detailed than the older MIR version. They will look well placed beside MM locos. Will these be available to buy on a permanent basis?