Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

On 11/4/2022 at 7:58 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Portadown 16 March 1963

Hi Ernie,

Brilliant stuff as always, many thanks for taking the time to post. Pretty sure that is the end of the UP platform at LISBURN. The 'gallows' starter signal and water column are the indicators. Not sure any Portadown platform ends had such an arrangement. LM  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

Hi Ernie,

Brilliant stuff as always, many thanks for taking the time to post. Pretty sure that is the end of the UP platform at LISBURN. The 'gallows' starter signal and water column are the indicators. Not sure any Portadown platform ends had such an arrangement. LM  

Very certainly the up line in Lisburn, yes. Chimneys of the old linen factory in the background. There's a shappin' centre there now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Ex GNRI in June 1961

132 said to be on the Oldcastle branch . Where anyone?

204 & 132 + ? , Amiens Street shed

85 & railcar 2648 at Amiens St Station

Todays flickr uploads takes the GNRI folder to past 1000 images.

GNRI 1961-06-03 IRRS spl on Oldcastle branch 132 (2) 

Possibly Bective on the Meath Road.

132 worked an IRRS special over the Meath Line to Kingscourt in June 1961. 

There is a Greg Child  photo of 132 coupled to a grubby Luggage Van at Dunboyne in Irish Railways in Colour Tom Ferris 1992.

Bective had a single platform on the down side with the sidings at the North end of the station.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Very knowledgeable @Mayner, didn't know there was a place name known as Bective 'til your post [above]. Referenced the 'Railway Map of Ireland 1906' to see where it is - wonder if it'll reopen when the line is extended from the M3 Parkway all the way to Navan. Great stuff @Irishswissernie - keep posting those photographs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

204 & 132 + ? , Amiens Street shed

Left to right, CIE 'S' No. 174N, CIE 'Q' No. 132N & UTA 'VS' No. 58. Photo taken on the morning of Sunday 4th June 1961.

85 & railcar 2648 at Amiens St Station

CIE 'V' No. 85 about to leave with SLS/RTCS/IRRS special to Belfast on Friday 9th June 1961. The 'V' worked the train as far as Dundalk where UTA 'WT' No. 55 was waiting to work the remainder of the journey.

132 said to be on the Oldcastle branch . Where anyone?

On Saturday 3rd June 1961 the IRRS special hauled by CIE 'Q' No. 132N. The route taken was Amiens Street - Clonsilla - Navan - Kingscourt - Navan - Oldcastle - Navan - Drogheda - Amiens Street. The flat bottomed rails seen in the photo would tend to indicate a location between Navan and Kingscourt.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 1961 Tour Party photographed at Banagher 8th June 1961. One presumes Mr. Dennison may be present. Any of you older sweats willing to have a go at identifying any of the participants? The catering crew from the Kitchen Car go without saying, but who were the women???

image.thumb.png.884556dc0e7788d54d64d9dafb122a23.png

Noted photographers on this trip (whose work has been published elsewhere) were Keith Pirt, David Lawrence, Rev. John Parker, Greg Child, R. Cole, D. Penney and T.B. Owen. 'Bob' Clements is somewhere in this.

The only gents I can identify are Joe St Leger, Clifton Flewitt and Norman McAdams - possibly a very young David Houston and Norman Foster.

The ladies would have been wives of English participants.

Lance King was there, but I think kept out of this shot. He only took one shot in B&W and a single slide here - remarkable clear of ANY particpants.

It was after this tour that Lance founded the London Area of the IRRS and I intend to cover the 1961 tour extensively in my "Lance King on Tour" talk to the IRRS in a year's time (if I'm spared!). I showed Lance's photo here in my first Lance talk in 2019.

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, connollystn said:

Very knowledgeable @Mayner, didn't know there was a place name known as Bective 'til your post [above]. Referenced the 'Railway Map of Ireland 1906' to see where it is - wonder if it'll reopen when the line is extended from the M3 Parkway all the way to Navan. Great stuff @Irishswissernie - keep posting those photographs.

I got to know the Meath Line shortly after closure during the 60s as a result of Sunday afternoon drives with my parents, we even walked a section of the line near Dunsany Castle shortly before the track was lifted. Some of my earliest modelling projects were based on the Meath Line including a 4mm balsa model of Dunboyne Station building and an N gauge layout based on Kilmessan Junction. 

I explored most of the station sites after I bought my first car in my early  twenties.

• Like 3

I enjoyed watching Leslie McCallister's excellent IRRS Lance King slide show Webinar last night. Here are a few views at Belfast York Road, the slides are by Roy Dennison from 1987.

First view is from 6 September 1958

In the second view you can just see a former CIE C Class

Last view is the former Midland hotel

I also probably have more NCC HC Casserley negatives which havn't yet been uploaded but its having to sort out which ones due to former computer woes!

UTA 1958-09-06 Belfast York Rd stationz111 NIR1987-06-17 Belfast York Rd station (2) NIR 1987-06-17 Belfast York former Midland Hotel

• Like 4

Awesome stuff Ernie. Views I saw every day on my school commute 83-39. You can also just glimpse a container extreme right. Those sidings were the resting place of many sad items at that point including a steam crane, and some DH locos.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

Clonakilty 5 June 1958, 90 on shed between Courtmacsherry branch duty.

2 views at Ballaghaderreen 19 May 1959

Last image, Collooney ex WLW 18 May 1959. The train is on the curve connecting to the ex M&GW line to Sligo. Sidings on the right are the ex WL&W (GS&WR) goods yard and the line in the centre going under the bridges is the connection to the (already closed) Sligo, Leitrim & Northern Counties Railway at their Collooney station.

z059 CBSC 1958-06-05  Clonakilty z052 CIE 1959-05-19 Ballaghaderreen z050 CIE 1959-05-19 Ballaghaderreen z039 CIE 1959-05-18 Collooney ex WLW

• Like 6

The Collooney view is interesting - so I am guessing then that there was a direct connection from The Burma Road onto the SLNCR?  I don't have an atlas to hand so if so, does that mean that there could have been an uninterrupted journey from places south as far as Derry?

Just looked up the layout at Limerick and Athenry so as far as I can see, it looks like a train could have left Tralee, bypassed Limerick, turned left towards Ennis, crossed the Galway line at Athenry, joined the SLNCR at Collooney, passed through Enniskillen and Omagh and ended its journey at Derry Foyle Road?

@jhb171achill can you verify?

1 hour ago, Patrick Davey said:

The Collooney view is interesting - so I am guessing then that there was a direct connection from The Burma Road onto the SLNCR?  I don't have an atlas to hand so if so, does that mean that there could have been an uninterrupted journey from places south as far as Derry?

Just looked up the layout at Limerick and Athenry so as far as I can see, it looks like a train could have left Tralee, bypassed Limerick, turned left towards Ennis, crossed the Galway line at Athenry, joined the SLNCR at Collooney, passed through Enniskillen and Omagh and ended its journey at Derry Foyle Road?

@jhb171achill can you verify?

There was a direct link at Collooney,known as the ‘southern siding’, which indeed would have facilitated such traffic flows. Unused by the 50s (I think the advent of the GSR marked the end of its frequent use)  and largely occupied by stored wagons. IIRC this is it at the SLNC end, trailing in right of pic. An @Irishswissernieimage. 

B2855DCF-996B-4BD0-8AC2-E539930B28C2.jpeg

C9FF7AAD-414B-4711-A171-B63714A3791A.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, StevieB said:

Is that the one which is at the National Tramway Museum, Crich?

No, I don't think it is. The one at Crich is a double deck GNR 'Hill of Howth Tramway' vehicle. The one in the photo is a single decker. It is possibly one of the DUTC trams that ran from Dublin to Howth, but not to the 'Summit' of the Hill of Howth? However I will stand corrected.

On 20/4/2022 at 5:05 PM, Lambeg man said:

No, I don't think it is. The one at Crich is a double deck GNR 'Hill of Howth Tramway' vehicle. The one in the photo is a single decker. It is possibly one of the DUTC trams that ran from Dublin to Howth, but not to the 'Summit' of the Hill of Howth? However I will stand corrected.

I'm sorry to have to correct you. A) The tram in this photograph is a former GNR(I) Hill of Howth Car No 9.   It resembles a single deck car because the upper-deck chastity board and the mesh wire surround has been removed.

The one in the photo is a single decker. It is possibly one of the DUTC trams that ran from Dublin to Howth, but not to the 'Summit' of the Hill of Howth? B) No it is not. The DUTC Cars running on Route 31, from The Pillar to Howth Village were Double Deck Cars.

DUTC,  Single Deck Cars, (other than Maintenance vehicles) were only ever used on the route from The Pillar to Sandymount Tower. They ran via Bath Avenue, thus they travelled under a low Bridge which neccessitated that single Deck Cars be used. These cars were altered Double Deckers, with their upper deck removed. 

The Hill of Howth Car at Crich, No 10, is the Sister of the Car in the photograph.

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Thanks 1

I have views of 9 and sister 10 on flickr. They differed from the other Hill of Howth cars in that the entrance/exits were both on the same side of the car. You can see how easy it would be to remove the panels etc surrounding the upper deck probably done to facilitate storage or reduce the height whilst being transported on the road vehicle.

The first cars Numbers 1 to 8 were built by Brush whilst the last 2 nos. 9 and 10 were built by Milnes  and had different trucks and originally open sided  lower decks which didn't work to well up on the hill. The lower decks were thus later glazed.

GNRI 1959-05-18 H.O Howth. 9 Sutton Car shops.  A125 Sutton & Hill of Howth tramway,Sutton depot 10, 4july59 GNRI 1959-05-18 H.O Howth. Summit 10 + 4 A117

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 3