Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troops

The 121 is a basic math problem

P Murphy has stumped up his own money for everything we now can buy under the Murphy Models flag

Before he can stump up any more money he has to get what he has paid out back

When he gets this money back he will go into production of the 121

The 201's in whatever livery have to sell before this happens

So you know what you have to do, simples :-bd

....any chance of a loan?:rolleyes:

Troops

P Murphy has stumped up his own money for everything we now can buy under the Murphy Models flag

Wrenneire is generously giving out loans with 0% Finance towards the purchase of 201's, fair play Wrenneire, Das Auto!! :tumbsup:

Troops

That's a logical and understandable obvservation. However I have in the past few months acquired quite a stable of 141, 181 and 071s, and MM coaching stock. Unfortunately and personally the 201s don't interest me so I won't be buying any. Again purely personal taste, but CIE black and orange super train coaches without the later double white lining don't interest me either, but I appreciate thats just my own personal idiosyncrasy. I have nothing but positive opinions about MM, especially as the awesome 141,181,071s reignited my dormant interest in this hobby. However, in business market research informs what products the customers want, and what volumes one can expect at different price points.

I'm sure MM is well on top of this, but anecdotally and without any evidence it does seem a significant portion of MMs existing customer base may be more interested in 001 and 121s than 201s. The real market research numbers will tell what the real demand is. I'm sure the customer base is a broad church, some customers preferring the older Irish railways era, others preferring contemporary trains, and everything in between. The 201 in IE Green/Grey and Enterprise liveries look superb, its just I find the life size prototypes boring looking locos and from the modern era, rather characterless locos compared to the older GMs with their walkways and travel memories, and the A class 001s.

Purely from my own self interest point of view, I am disappointed to see yet more 201s, instead of 001 or 121s. My own personal favourite is the MM 141 especially the CIE black livery, the most stunning looking and best running model locos I have ever owned and run. Hats off to PM, he is running a business and I hope he gets a good return from it. Putting money into a business is just business, the numbers either stack up or they don't. I wish MM well and hope now that the economy has weathered the worst recession since the 1920s, that demand will increase and production runs of past products become profitable, especially as the tooling costs have been absorbed. I am staggered how MM managed to release so many excellent locos since 2008 during such a harsh economic climate. Prices will have to go up for MM products as will Bachmann and any other company manufacturing in China, as labour costs are increasing significantly as the tide of economic activity is benefiting the wider Chinese population. Personally I'm very content with my existing models and very happy to stick with what I have for now, but if someday in the future 121s and 001s ever emerge, I will invest in a loco shed for a few of them. :)

Well done MM and thank you for stunning looking and sublime running Irish models clap4.gif

PS: I hope we don't see any MM railcar or DMUs anytime soon. Loco hauled stock means interesting operations, running around trains, shunting, mixed traffic freight trains, the essence of railways rather than mere soulless buses on rails that are boring railcars.

parapet.gif

It would seem to me that if there are shops with stock of 201's, 121's, or what ever, then the logical thing to do is reduce the price, it do'snt always have to be profit, profit, profit :tumbsup:

Er, sorry but running a business is about profit. Without it there is no business and we all end up living back in caves. :) (apologies for tongue in cheek)

Reducing existing stock isn t really an option especially if a portion of the proceeds is going to fund another class of loco or stock. The 201's had a huge pent updemand the lima/mir/marks models options that did exist either were making huge money on ebay or required quite a lot of work to make into a model worthy of running next to a MM 141/181. So the 201 was a good option to go with in the meantime. Every retailer/manufacturer has done very well to keep there business open ovr the last few years and with a little patience we ll have an excellent 121 to add to our layouts in the not so distant future.

Oh yes hats off to PM, without MM I would not have the few magical, perfect, awesome looking & running models of Irish railways I have, I believe in the free market economy, & we'er supposed to getting out of what's called a recession, (do'nt know anything about 1920, was'nt around then ) well as far as I'm concerned, austerity is living & breading very well everywhere these days, so I still ask, do's it have to be profit, profit, profit,

Million dollar question for me is will Murphy Models bring out an 001 Class model at any stage? I am purposefully not buying the Silver Fox model in the hope that Murphy Models or some other manufacturer releases a high spec detailed 001 Class model. Silver Fox model is ok, but looks totally out of place alongside Murphy Models locos. There is just no comparison really.

It would seem to me that if there are shops with stock of 201's, 121's, or what ever, then the logical thing to do is reduce the price, it do'snt always have to be profit, profit, profit :tumbsup:

So the shop owners and their staff should survive on fresh air alone? Sounds plausible...

Million dollar question for me is will Murphy Models bring out an 001 Class model at any stage? I am purposefully not buying the Silver Fox model in the hope that Murphy Models or some other manufacturer releases a high spec detailed 001 Class model. Silver Fox model is ok, but looks totally out of place alongside Murphy Models locos. There is just no comparison really.

+1

If MM GMs didn't exist I would have jumped at SF 001 class, but they just don't compare to the MMs. MM have raised the bar so high its seems unfair really to compare with SF. The all wheel drive and all wheel pickup of the 141/181 chassis is simply in a league of its own and enables such realistic operation with no stalling whatsoever. The MM body detailing and paint work again is two gears higher. I too would buy a handful of 001s if MM ever produce them. Many folk may probably only buy a pair of 121s if they appear in MM product line (i.e. a pair nose to nose close coupled double heading), hence 001 may sell more but I could be wrong. The 001 in CIE black with the white stripe and lower orange band is the biz!!!

It's fair to say the 121 and 001 are the 'most hotly anticipated' models, but primarily due to the amazing job Mr. Murphy has accomplished to date on everything else! He truly does spoil us, and 201 admirer or no, the best way to fund / encourage those models is to ensure the current releases shift!

This is the thing 7 years ago there was fa rtr irish models, lima 201's had eventually sold out and were hitting big money on fleabay and elsewhere, now wehave decent top of the range models thanks to Mr Murphy, 141/181's rival ANY rtr model of its time, the cravens are superb, themk 2's , 071's & 201's complete the modern day diesel fleet, give the guy a chance to get the neccessary resources together for the 121's & beyond. With the economy recovering albeit slowly more and more people will start buying extra models this will clear excess stock and hopefully in the near future we can gave our 121's whizzing around our layouts while complaining about the lack of a modern a class. Till then get buying his current stock and it may come sooner rather than late, now im off too find the mrs's credit card to buy me another 201 ;)

This is the thing 7 years ago there was fa rtr irish models, lima 201's had eventually sold out and were hitting big money on fleabay and elsewhere, now wehave decent top of the range models thanks to Mr Murphy, 141/181's rival ANY rtr model of its time, the cravens are superb, themk 2's , 071's & 201's complete the modern day diesel fleet, give the guy a chance to get the neccessary resources together for the 121's & beyond. With the economy recovering albeit slowly more and more people will start buying extra models this will clear excess stock and hopefully in the near future we can gave our 121's whizzing around our layouts while complaining about the lack of a modern a class. Till then get buying his current stock and it may come sooner rather than late, now im off too find the mrs's credit card to buy me another 201 ;)

Fair comment to a degree. As a "customer" one has choice to buy or not to buy a 201. Customers are not 'sponsors' nor supporters of a business, but may well be a fan of some of a businesses products or services. :) It doesn't really square that a customer should buy one product that they don't want or need in order to gain access to another product. Lets be positive, the model market is slowly recovering from the deep recession, and there should be greater supply and diversity in the coming years across the board from all vendors.

PS: BTW, its not that I don't like the model 201s, it's just that I was never a fan of the actual life size 201 boxy locos.

Edited by Noel

sometimes i despair at the clobber that comes up on this forum, these "paddy murphy wishlist" dangleberries clinging on to a thread about a perfectly fabulous model. (Bar some minor decorating issues that even the most cack handed modeller could fix)

For a bit of perspective, lets have some figures. Laser scanning of a prototype costs around 35k, the cad work to turn the data into cadcam costs a further 40, and turning a die is about 10k a run. Pouring the plastic and printing the model is the relatively inexpensive bit.

You're in the drink for about 90k. PM probably sells them at a price to breakeven to the model shops, so a if he makes €100 ea on a run of 1000 locos means after 2 years he'll make a few bob, but nothing spectacular.

So, the sooner you buy the stuff that's out there, the sooner he has enough in his warchest to kick of the process for a 121, A class or Turfburner.

Rant over. R.

It's fair to say the 121 and 001 are the 'most hotly anticipated' models, but primarily due to the amazing job Mr. Murphy has accomplished to date on everything else! He truly does spoil us, and 201 admirer or no, the best way to fund / encourage those models is to ensure the current releases shift!

I have collected seventeen MM locomotives since I started back into (now) Irish outline very recently. Only three of these are presently available for purchase at RRP. Every other locomotive has been purchased used for at least the original price or substantially greater than that from a variety of sellers on this site, associated with this site,or on eBay. I have now supported Murphy Models, the priginal model shop/vendor, and the subsequent owner/seller. I expect all who are now flush with my hard earned cash, to support BK and purchase 201s so that I can finally buy a 121!:-bd

Very glad this forum only represents a small minority of modellers........

In fairness, I think the vast majority of this minority don't have our heads up our arses. You'd wonder why Paddy Murphy bothers sometimes; the cheek of him bringing out a new model to satisfy demand and look to make some money off it to put food in his belly!!!

Anyway, wonder what the model railway scene is like in North Korea?

I pray for Saint Patrick Murphy every night. He has been our salvation. He has taken us from the wilderness and put us upon the right track. I am happy to be his apostle and to follow in his righteous path. It is up to those who follow the creed to collect the manna that falls amongst us.

The locomotives are fundamental to Irish railway modelling. Rolling stock can be codged up to a fair degree, but a decent loco was a daunting prospect before Murphy Models arrived on the scene. The arithmetic of model production on this scale may not suit everybody, but if it doesn't suit enough people, then it will dry up.

I try to do my little bit to keep funding the future and will continue to do so.

I pray for Saint Patrick Murphy every night. He has been our salvation. He has taken us from the wilderness and put us upon the right track. I am happy to be his apostle and to follow in his righteous path. It is up to those who follow the creed to collect the manna that falls amongst us.

The locomotives are fundamental to Irish railway modelling. Rolling stock can be codged up to a fair degree, but a decent loco was a daunting prospect before Murphy Models arrived on the scene. The arithmetic of model production on this scale may not suit everybody, but if it doesn't suit enough people, then it will dry up.QUOTE]

im trying to imagine where irish railway modelling would be without Mr Murphy - and i cant. one thing is for sure, we would be shelling out over the top prices for models that only resemble the real thing. Fair play to the man=D

...and a good one it is too!!:dancing:

But when are the MkVII CAV 200mp intercity express models going to production. They've been running from Dublin City West central station to Cork since 2025 in under an hour and we have no sign of the models!!! :) Not to mention Celti-Tunnel trains from Rosslare Culchi Port to Fishguard.

parapet.gif