Resting at Connolly

Rate this topic

Quite a few of the refurbished ones have the new handbrake wheels pretty sure its a new braking system as well.

They are the only two with it from what I can see and they were only fitted very recently. 076,077,078,085 and 088 do not have it yet as I have spotted all them over the past 3 weeks.

Just noticed 072 this evening with it. 3 liveries on one loco at the same time to boot.

She has to be going in soon for her refurb, orange/black door, grey patch and her black/silver livery complete with blacked out logo I wasn t certain on whether she had the new brake set up or not as shes been in Inchicore since the last time i saw her 3 weeks ago 20160116_153135.jpg

Edited by Riversuir226

Just noticed 072 this evening with it. 3 liveries on one loco at the same time to boot.

She has to be going in soon for her refurb, orange/black door, grey patch and her black/silver livery. I wasn t certain on whether she had the new brake set up or not as shes had work done on her in the last three weeks

Drab as it sounds, it actually suited GSR / CIE steam engines very well too, for the same reason. It looked workmanlike....

Aye, the grey livery, despite being drab and..let's face it, boring, really did suit the old Irish steamers, especially when it went that sort of dusty looking blacky-grey after being cleaned(ocasionally) with a greasy rag. Durty, but lovable. the new grey on the 071s looks really well, gives them a nice subtle clean look. I disliked the black and silver livery and that didn't suit them, and the ones still in it look like they are on their last legs...

Is it just 071 and 084 with the plaques? Any idea why only those two have them (or maybe it's just so far?)

Hope they all get them, its an achievement that all 18 got to 40 years service.

As for the grey livery i think it suits them, the removal of their handrails on the front of the cabs gives them a more modern look.

• 1 year later...
The latest black /silver is a disgusting paint job and an insult to the loco

They were very poorly done, and the bodywork was beginning to rot in many when they were done, which didn't help. the yellow ends seemed to blend well enough with the orange on 201s, but personally I think it clashed terribly with the black'n'silver.

Hope they all get them, its an achievement that all 18 got to 40 years service.

As for the grey livery i think it suits them, the removal of their handrails on the front of the cabs gives them a more modern look.

They have done pretty well compared to the older classes with none written off as a result of collision damage.

They have done pretty well compared to the older classes with none written off as a result of collision damage.

Yes that's interesting John, 075 having survived the Buttevant rail crash, and 086 the Charleville Junction crash.

A credit to GM and Inchicore personnel who maintained her that she is still in service today after 40 years. 40 years is some achievement, a shame the mk3 rakes only saw 25 years service and were withdrawn 15 years before their BR counter parts. The black'n'silver was not my favourite livery, the newer freight grey in the OP's post has grown on me. Photo from Doc Brown's travel web site.

P7106467.jpg

butte.jpg?id=7001950

And, 086 survivor of the Cherryville Junction rail crash (Photo from Brian Soloman's site)

Irish_Rail_086_w_HOBS_at_Listduff_P1520995.jpg

Superbly reliable locos, yes, and suitable for all manner of traffic.

Now, I must say, while 40 years is a serious achievement, it's by no means without precedent. many steam locos saw their 70th, 80th or 100th birthdays in traffic, but even if we look at diesels, the recently retired last 80 class is well over 40, as were the following:

- The last A class (1955-95)

- The 121s and 141s (or some of them; not all) 1961-2012 and 1963 - (last 141? - anyone? 2014ish?)

- The power units from the 70 class UTA railcars lasted into recent times - 40 years old, and the last UTA traction in operation, albeit in a modern red-bull-tin ugly body!

And then we have carriages............

Having said all that, yes, the 071s have had a great life and lots more to come.

Aside: In 1987, the last Indonesian 2.4.0 was withdrawn, after 108 years in passenger traffic! I saw them in action in 1980 - a favourite gricing moment. Woodburning 2.4.0 tender locos - in the 1980s, in everyday use!

Of course , steam engine life , was very much a triggers brush effect , 50 years old , but only with 5 new handles and 8 new heads sort of thing. The poor service intervals of steam engines meant more was replaced as they went along , and inchicore and elsewhere had the engineering ability to do so then

It's quite remarkable, that given the poor state of inchicore that these engines are still in service, and by comparison very strange that the 201s are in such dilapidated condition ( well the stored ones )

IR are facing a right abyss when the 071s are finally life expired.

The reliability and ease of maintenance of the 2 stroke EMD 567 & 645 power units is legendary and superior to most 4 stroke engines, there are a lot of 40+ year old General Motors locos in use Internationally.

Funnily enough Kiwirails DC Class an upgraded version of a 1960s standard export G12 has better reliability figures and more economic to maintain than the two generations of more powerful locos built to replace them.

Morrinsville shunt.jpg

Still going well after 50 years DC returning to Te Rapa Hamilton on a trip working from Morrinsville