1916 commemorative item form Murphy Models

Rate this topic

PJR

I wonder if MM have any plans to release 071 in it's current supertrain livery....

Given how simple it would be to renumber one of the existing supertrain livery models MM0086 or MM0088 to 071, would there be enough demand? After the 121 the next vast gaping hole in quality RTR Irish railway modelling is the A class and early beat wagons. Both the most numerous items ever to run on Irish rails, both absent as high quality RTR models. Hope MM or IRM consider them one day.

Given how simple it would be to renumber one of the existing supertrain livery models MM0086 or MM0088 to 071, would there be enough demand? After the 121 the next vast gaping hole in quality RTR Irish railway modelling is the A class and early beat wagons. Both the most numerous items ever to run on Irish rails, both absent as high quality RTR models. Hope MM or IRM consider them one day.

It's actually 080 or 077 you'd want to renumber and remove the logos and white stripe. As the supertrains would not work as 071 now is in IE orange now supertrain orange and has LEDs. Given 500 battleship grey 071s sold out in a few months a 252 unit run of the 40th aniversery 071 would fly.

It's actually 080 or 077 you'd want to renumber and remove the logos and white stripe. As the supertrains would not work as 071 now is in IE orange now supertrain orange and has LEDs. Given 500 battleship grey 071s sold out in a few months a 252 unit run of the 40th aniversery 071 would fly.

Ah, I never even noticed the difference in the lights/LED arrangements until your post, and I've had both variations on the layout! :) 086 seems to be the correct shade of original supertrain livery. Ok I get it, 252 unit might sell. But 5000 x A class units would probably sell like hot cakes, and even more bullied corrugated beat wagons.

Ah' date=' I never even noticed the difference in the lights/LED arrangements until your post, and I've had both variations on the layout! :) 086 seems to be the correct shade of original supertrain livery. Ok I get it, 252 unit might sell. But 5000 x A class units would probably sell like hot cakes, and even more bullied corrugated beat wagons.[/quote'] Provincial wagons make the beet wagons http://www.provincialwagons.com/12.html I also think the retro 071 would sell real well. It's a great job by IE and loved by gricers. Can't wait to see the 1916 items.

Provincial wagons make the beet wagons http://www.provincialwagons.com/12.html I also think the retro 071 would sell real well. It's a great job by IE and loved by gricers. Can't wait to see the 1916 items.

Irish Freight Models do one as well which I quite like: http://www.irishfreightmodels.com/index.php/shop.html#!/CIE-Irish-Rail-Bulleid-open-Wagon/p/14644538/category=3461102

• 1 month later...
The Chinese need to get a move on since we're using the Gregorian and not the lunar calendar over here. 2016 ends in December not in February :facepalm:

I don't think 1916 would mean much to the Chinese Kevin. Sadly delays are part of the model manufacturing process for a multitude of reasons.

I think that the enterprise of Murphy Models is to be commended, and needs no introduction here. If they are prepared to do a 1916 comemmorative model, it is to commemorate 1916, not necessarily be actually available in 2016. Naturally, it's ideal if it is, but Murphy's are at the mercy of producers, who increasingly take ages and ages.

I think that the enterprise of Murphy Models is to be commended, and needs no introduction here. If they are prepared to do a 1916 comemmorative model, it is to commemorate 1916, not necessarily be actually available in 2016. Naturally, it's ideal if it is, but Murphy's are at the mercy of producers, who increasingly take ages and ages.

Very true.

I'd rather have a accurate model of something later, than some random British Hornby yoke in blackntan sooner..

Cough"Hymek"cough..:)

In the 70s, when I saw that Hymek repainted in orange and black I was physically sick, had a severe attack of the Screaming Fits, and suffered for 18 months from Enhanced Heeby Jeebies.

However, of necessity I had a BR-based layout, and I was quite partial to those locos (more so than their maintenance fitters were in real life) in their natural blue and yellow setting.

Out of interest, does anyone know if any are preserved?

Off topic I know, but as I said, Murphy's are to be commended.

In the 70s, when I saw that Hymek repainted in orange and black I was physically sick, had a severe attack of the Screaming Fits, and suffered for 18 months from Enhanced Heeby Jeebies.

However, of necessity I had a BR-based layout, and I was quite partial to those locos (more so than their maintenance fitters were in real life) in their natural blue and yellow setting.

Out of interest, does anyone know if any are preserved?

Off topic I know, but as I said, Murphy's are to be commended.

Ah yes, sounds like a rather severe case of horrificallyinnacuratelocomotiveitus

Quite incurable, I'm afraid..:P

But they look more like the Hunslets, than whatever the hell kind of CIE loco they were trying to simulate..

I'm all 1916'ed out. Wait till 1922 and all the army bands come out again. Easter Sunday this year was really well done, but ever since then it's been going on a bit especially on TV.

They will go to town on commemorating centenaries leading up to the Truce. Will be interesting to see how they will treat the War that dare not mention its name.

• 3 weeks later...

The armoured trucks were fitted with steam locomotive smoke boxes at the GS&WR Works at Inchicore in 1916. The trucks came from Guinness Brewery, and there is a lot of debate as to whether Guinness donated them to the British Army during the Rising, or whether the British Army commandeered them from Guinness. The trucks became the first armoured personnel carriers ever to be used. Not sure what the smaller trucks are supposed to represent.....maybe ex Inchicore fire brigade truck from 1916.