scahalane's Workbench

Rate this topic

scahalane

Christ, that is superb! The entrance bay distressed doors look the business. Love the rust blooms on the cement terminal doors! Stick to the original building length if you can. You can always cut it back in a few years, but you won't be able to add to it. Is there depth to the Arched Wall? Looks great. Tell uz, made from photos or how? I've an idea how many hours went into this, and its a serious :cheers:=D

Richie.

Is there depth to the Arched Wall? Looks great. Tell uz, made from photos or how?

The building was drawn up in autocad based on a plan survey I have, the heights were guesstimated by counting the bricks. I exported the dwg from cad to photoshop as an eps where I painted over the section using on site photos and textures from cgarchitect. The images were brought back into autocad for accurate scaling at 1:76 and printed. Unfortunately I only have a cheap A4 printer so a lot of printing and lining up was required. The building facade is built up in 4 layers of printed card according to each recess in the wall. Only the workshop at the back is finished at the moment so that's why the long wall section is looking a bit flat at the moment, hope this answers your questions. Anymore don't hesitate to ask. By the way I used your technique of kitchen foil layered up with glue, it was a bit more messy as the glue kept seeping through the layers but was a great time saver, thanks.

Scahalane that is a fantastic example of Architectural modelling. Yourself and Richie have made me re assess my opinion on card and printed modelling. I love the support trusses under the cement terminal canopy. It probably can't be seen from most viewing distances but it is there. I love this sort of modelling as it demands more forward planning and lot's of work to get right before you even begin the build. Top marks for an amazing model, and thanks for sharing your skills with us.

Rich,

Scahalane that is a fantastic example of Architectural modelling. Yourself and Richie have made me re assess my opinion on card and printed modelling. I love the support trusses under the cement terminal canopy. It probably can't be seen from most viewing distances but it is there. I love this sort of modelling as it demands more forward planning and lot's of work to get right before you even begin the build. Top marks for an amazing model, and thanks for sharing your skills with us.

Rich,

I absolutely agree Rich, this is superb stuff, as is Richies. Great inspiring stuff lads!

No bother at all, the roof looks the business! I'll send you a template I made for AutoCAD so you can do your drawings at real scale, print as EPS at 1:76.2, do your work in photoshop and print directly without rescaling in AutoCAD. It'll take a fair whack of time out of the process. PM me your email addy, if you can. Richie.

No bother at all, the roof looks the business! I'll send you a template I made for AutoCAD so you can do your drawings at real scale, print as EPS at 1:76.2, do your work in photoshop and print directly without rescaling in AutoCAD. It'll take a fair whack of time out of the process. PM me your email addy, if you can. Richie.

PM sent Richie

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress made on the roof of the main shed. The sheer size of it is becoming frighteningly real. I've a lot more detail to add yet but I couldn't resist laying out a few bits of track and a couple of locos. Hope you like.

engineshed13_zps001192d0.jpg

engineshed12_zps4ffb02e8.jpg

engineshed11_zps20830296.jpg

engineshed1_zpsd95b0b35.jpg

viewfront21-01-13_zps1f634c34.jpg

engineshed10_zpscbcc955a.jpg

engineshed9_zps1c3d581b.jpg

engineshed8_zps26d2aca4.jpg

engineshed7_zps01b65312.jpg

engineshed6_zpsaa4fd314.jpg

engineshed5_zpsd88b0f85.jpg

engineshed4_zps06c23d0a.jpg

engineshed15_zpse6f99bce.jpg

engineshed3_zpsc7519af6.jpg

engineshed14_zps3650e256.jpg

engineshed16_zps61c5cb7d.jpg

engineshed2_zps935f6da4.jpg

cementshed11_zps9fad3317.jpg

It's a wonder the Council haven't made him apply for retention..!

The Council are in complete agreement as long as its cleared by tea time!!

Its new home will shortly be in the attic where the final touches are been made to insulate the space and tidy up some pipes and the water tank. When done I hope to be able to start on my layout, which I hope to have a running space of 5.5m X 5m. The scale of this beast is a bit over the top for a workable layout and I did think seriously about scaling it down, but in the end railway architecture is what interests me more probably than running the trains themselves so I decided to go the full hog. I have a rough idea how its going to work as a layout but its not in stone yet.

You know what Scahalane, but I chuckled in admiration when I saw those photos, and for no bad reason. The amount of hours, sheer persistence, research, drawing, photography, styrene modelling and dedication to achieving the end result comes as no mean feat. Nice to have another companion in this lifeboat! If I wore a hat, I would take it off to you.

If I wore a second hat, I would take it off too, just for the upright stanchion detail at the front of the shed. Where is the "Bow in admiration" emoticon Heirflick? Bonus points from IRM for the sheer scale of the thing too, though minus brownie points for not having domestic planning permission, I imagine!

Richie.

I think a new vocabulary of superlatives is called for.

I think I ran out at exquisite, and both the shed and the works are are so far in front of that , that a new system of measurement would be required.

Thanks (I think!) for sharing your work with us - I'll just be off to start stamp collecting....

:ROFL:

-Rob