scahalane's Workbench

Rate this topic

scahalane

Great work Scahalane. Those bogie cements are among the best scratch built models I have seen. The A class paint job and build looks superb. One of the best painting and decal application exercises of modelling I have seen. It all looks so professional and you can see the hard work that went into it. Those wagons could be rtr they are so good. Amazing work well done.

Rich,

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

Can you post details on what you used to spray the bubbles please and what you are using for weathering. Brilliant stuff and keep the photos coming. Thanks. Eamonn
The bubbles were sprayed with Halfords grey primer as per usual then Phoenix paints ivory and mat black dull. They haven't been weathered yet and not sure of what approach I'll take but I'm leaning towards using salt as a stencil. I saw this done somewhere and it looked good so I'll let you know how I get on.

Lads I'm about to start adding lights to my a class using one of Weshty's kits but I'm not sure where or how to start, if anybody has any experience please share, and please explain in a non too technical manner as I've zero knowledge when it comes to wiring. Thanks in advance.

Excellent work Scahalane, I wish I was as far on with my A Class, your paint job has turned out really well. I'm using a Class 52 chassis and there is a metal weight at each end which is great until you go to put in marker lights. I've had to re think my approach and after seeing your results it will spur me on to work on it again. I didn't know about Weshty's lighting kit, looking forward to seeing how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Jayzus titty kerrist, that is magnificent.

Just after going back to earlier posts on this thread. Those bogie cements are scratch built?!!?

Genuflections and chants of "we're not worthy" all round. And delighted the detailing kit got a shout out. Thank you!

Edited by Weshty

Some of the best weathering I have ever seen.=D

I'll second that. The golden brown color is spot on also. Des's detailing parts take it to a different level. There's no doubt that the Silver Fox A Class can be turned from a sows ear into a purse. That and one of Georgeconnas A Class locos are as good as it gets. Scahalane go to the top of the class, superb stuff.

Rich,

Great googly moogly. I never really had much time for that class - i never remember it action. But, those photos have blown my mind, it looks like the real thing to scale. Stunning finish. Richie.

High praise coming from you Richie. I was never really sold on the A Class myself but that model and the cement terminal are really top work.

Rich,

• 4 weeks later...

Being working on a model of the Cork engine depot to go with my cement works and its a biggie. I was originally going to build this in plaster cast from plastic brick molds, but having seen Richie's work I decided to do it in card.

The main structure is built from 2mm card over layered with 220grm card printed from photoshop via autocad. The doors and skylight is made from plastic strip and painted. The roof is pressed tinfoil and painted. Its 1.6m X 60cm in area but I'm thinking of reducing this by 6 arches on the main shed although I'd prefer to be true to the actual building. Feedback appreciated.

corkengineshedbuild2_zps586425b2.jpg

corkengineshedbuild1_zpscc875746.jpg

corkengineshedbuild3_zpsa755e857.jpg

corkengineshedbuild6_zps3c39d905.jpg

corkengineshedbuild4_zps9c1f1a96.jpg

corkengineshedbuild8_zpsc80486f4.jpg

corkengineshedbuild7_zps1b0842c9.jpg

corkengineshedbuild9_zps9cfd3ec7.jpg

corkengineshedbuild10_zps9e041789.jpg

Here's a bit of painting detail I added to the cement depot.

cementdepotupdatejan13_zps4a954193.jpg