scahalane's Workbench

Rate this topic

scahalane

Definitely lifting architectural and structural modelling to a whole new level, the sheer scale of the structures is breathtaking.

I hope you find space to build a layout or at least a diorama of Cork Loco.

What's next the houses , shops & pubs on the lower Glanmire Road with Summerhill as a background?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a rake of MIR ammonia's and 2 barrier wagons I'd been meaning to build for quiet a while so finally got around to it. These wagons bring back some happy memories of the real thing thundering past my parents house in Glounthaune. I have to say Ian (MIR) did a fantastic job capturing the look and feel of them and the tankers required very little extra work. I just added a little c-channel to the back of each side similar to the real thing. The barrier wagon however required a little bit more work, the tank was a little too long and had to be shortened a bit. I also scratch built the protective cage as the brass assembly supplied was a bit flat and inaccurate. The decals were a bit on the over sized so I got Des (studio scale models) to make some up for me, and he did a great job. All that's left is some weathering and a proper engine for my a-class as the lima one has neigh chance of moving this lot, hope you like.

barrierbuild1_zps48830cbc.jpg

barrierbuild2_zpseb83bcff.jpg

ammonia3_zpsbb9f6407.jpg

barrierbuild4_zpsb9860368.jpg

ammonia2_zpse40b8bc3.jpg

ammonia1_zpsd415d411.jpg

ammonia5_zps1339b43b.jpg

I also scratch built the protective cage as the brass assembly supplied was a bit flat and inaccurate. The decals were a bit on the over sized so I got Des (studio scale models) to make some up for me, and he did a great job.

Really tasty work on the cage, best i've ever seen bar none. The brass etches - ladders and such - were they part of the original kit or custom? Either way it's stunning. And Des is as handy as a small pot when it comes to decal/brass kit emergencies!

The old Lima's take an awful lot of slagging "wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding" etc., but stripped down and rebuilt Terminator style, they are reliable ol' workhorses.

Any plans to dirty the rake up? Sure you'd do a tidy job of that too! Richie.

The brass etches - ladders and such - were they part of the original kit or custom?

Any plans to dirty the rake up? Sure you'd do a tidy job of that too! Richie.

All the brass etched parts except the corner castings were from bits and bobs I had lying around, a lot of the stuff I use comes from http://www.scalelink.co.uk a great resource for brass mesh etc.

And yes she will be getting a fair bashing from the old weathering stick.