IRM Ballast Wagons

Rate this topic

Noel

Video of IRM Ballast Wagons being transferred to Kingsbridge. Minister of Transport sanctions capital budget for purchase of IRM Ballast Wagons. Loading gauge trials successfully completed after transfer today. :) These Wagons are supremely produced. Well done team IRM. French farm unions question Kingsbridge management for reasons to circumvent EU tendering process. :) Kingsbridge management replied "They are simply the best, we wanted the best, so we got the best."

Newly built B121 consisted with B181 to transfer new rake of IRM Ballast wagons

[video=youtube;l-eToGhfLMU]

Excellent video.

121 looks great

A class video Noel, well done.

Noel, nice piece of filming,TDR:tumbsup:

Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed. It was a team effort. I had the help of a WMRC member who operated the trains, sound and planned the sequences. I used a DSLR with long lens on a tripod, and an iPhone 6, but ironically the phone took much better video than the DSLR. DSLRs are pretty useless at video because the depth of field is too narrow, aperture is locked once REC is pressed, and AF during video is awful so I had to use MF. Phones are great in low light, AF, but too wide a field of view. Must get a little digicam for future use. Tripod really does help when recording video - doesn't make viewers seasick from camera movement. :) We only used about 5% of the footage we shot. The main objective was to get one continuous shot of the entire IRM ballast rake passing at platform eye level. A pal who used to be an RTE cameraman, and then went to work on films gave me some great advice years ago about video - avoid panning at all costs, and never zoom during a sequence.

I had hopped to weather the IRM ballast wagons for the video but ran out of time. That's next months project. Anyway we had a fun evening operating trains hauling IRMs truly superb wagons. Two brown plough wagons are now on my future radar.

But the main credit is due to team IRM :tumbsup:

Edited by Noel

I used a DSLR with long lens on a tripod, and an iPhone 6, but ironically the phone took much better video than the DSLR. DSLRs are pretty useless at video because the depth of field is too narrow, aperture is locked once REC is pressed, and AF during video is awful so I had to use MF. Phones are great in low light, AF, but too wide a field of view. Must get a little digicam for future use. Tripod really does help when recording video - doesn't make viewers seasick from camera movement. :)

What DSLR and lens were you using Noel?

Great video and love the B121!

Thanks. Hoping to get it finished this weekend, but the arrival of the IRM wagons caused some degree of distraction and excitement so I'm way behind finishing B121 and B233.

What DSLR and lens were you using Noel?

Hi Fran, an old Nikon D5200 and a mix of an 18-200mm zoom, 35mm prime, and tried 12-24mm wide angle zoom for close in shots which proved useless. Personally live view on DSLRs just doesn't work for me, I prefer to look through the view finder and lens when videoing. :) Noel

Thanks. Hoping to get it finished this weekend, but the arrival of the IRM wagons caused some degree of distraction and excitement so I'm way behind finishing B121 and B233.

Hi Fran, an old Nikon D5200 and a mix of an 18-200mm zoom, 35mm prime, and tried 12-24mm wide angle zoom for close in shots which proved useless. Personally live view on DSLRs just doesn't work for me, I prefer to look through the view finder and lens when videoing. :) Noel

Weird Noel, I use a Canon 80D (with nice mics of course) in the day job and for me, they piddle all over any camera phone. Personally find colour vibrancy much better with DSLR than phones. As excellent as the camera on iphone 6 and equivalent Samsung is, they always seem to be very 'grey' in their video colour to me in comparison.

I'm not dismissing phones at all. Have an iPhone 6 myself and it's very good. They're very handy for video on the fly and I have used them for this, but I do prefer my DSLRs. My basic Nikon D3200 does nice video too, but I do admit I've not done much with it video wise.

Was thinking of buying a second D5200 the other week actually, might swerve it now.

Anyway, very good video overall. Really delighted that you're happy with the wagons and thanks for the custom! :)

Weird Noel, I use a Canon 80D (with nice mics of course) in the day job and for me, they piddle all over any camera phone. Personally find colour vibrancy much better with DSLR than phones. As excellent as the camera on iphone 6 and equivalent Samsung is, they always seem to be very 'grey' in their video colour to me in comparison.

I'm not dismissing phones at all. Have an iPhone 6 myself and it's very good. They're very handy for video on the fly and I have used them for this, but I do prefer my DSLRs. My basic Nikon D3200 does nice video too, but I do admit I've not done much with it video wise.

Was thinking of buying a second D5200 the other week actually, might swerve it now.

Anyway, very good video overall. Really delighted that you're happy with the wagons and thanks for the custom! :)

I agree with you totally about phones. Canon 80D is much better at video than all the mid range Nikons. Normally I use the DSLR only for stills. Going to replace current camera with a D7500, but again for still use. The D5200 has been great for stills over the past few years but awkward for indoor video use.

Anyway congrats again you guys on the wagons, we had immense fun yesterday with them on the layout. There is so much fine detail on them we were very careful unboxing and handling them. Glad you liked the video.

I agree with you totally about phones. Canon 80D is much better at video than all the mid range Nikons. Normally I use the DSLR only for stills. Going to replace current camera with a D7500, but again for still use. The D5200 has been great for stills over the past few years but awkward for indoor video use.

Anyway congrats again you guys on the wagons, we had immense fun yesterday with them on the layout. There is so much fine detail on them we were very careful unboxing and handling them. Glad you liked the video.

Yeah, it pains me to admit it as I do love my Nikon for stills but Canon has the video bit licked in comparison. The 80D is a lovely bit of kit. Must send you on some links for some mics for your phone that I've been researching which will add with sound, esp. with sound locos.

Thanks once again! :)

DSLRS are great for video, a lot of short movies are shot on DSLRS. The problem is the depth of field which is very narrow when you are shooting small things close up - like trains. On wide or medium shots they will always have the edge over a phone because of the lens is much better. I've made quite a few shorts films using HD camcorders which are great all rounders for easy point and shoot operation.

DSLRS are great for video, a lot of short movies are shot on DSLRS. . .

Hi Roxyguy. Canon 5D Mk3 has a great track record for professional video, not sure Nikon consumer DSLRs are quite at the same races for video. :) Cheers. Noel

Panasonic are doing a 4K camcorder for about 700euro, it looks and good and would have easy point and shoot operation versus a DSLR.

I make short movies and I'll be shooting my next one on a DSLR, rather than a camcorder.

I shot this recently on a DLSR and you can see the problem with the depth of field on close ups, no problem with medium to wide shots.

Maybe start a seperate thread on cameras? Over half the posts in this thread on IRM ballast wagons are on cameras. Starting a new thread with a relevant title would make it easier for people to find the info in the future

Agree, mods if you feel like splitting this thread from post #5 and moving the relevant camera posts from #5 onwards to a new thread like "Filming layouts" in 'General Discussion' or 'Photos and videos of the Prototype' it would be appreciated. Apologies for thread drift. I have a few more pics of IRM Wagons I'd like to post here afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics of IRM's stunning Ballast Wagons

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

These wagon are simply exquisite with even more detailing becoming apparent as you study them close up.

IMG_2260.jpg

Recently weathered B141 up front

IMG_2258.jpg

Not sure yet about attempting to weather these beauties. The ballast load looks like it could possibly be dulled down, but it is actually the correct bright colour for freshly crush hard core stone straight out of the quarry. I may risk a very light dusting of frame dirt sprayed on the wagons, especially the lower half and axle boxes.

Edited by Noel

• 2 weeks later...

How's all? As someone who's had a lifetime's worth of looking at ballast wagons, both real and small, I thought I'd try and get them to look closer to the real thing.

Basic technique was a wash with goauche, deep brown and some Paynes Grey. As soon as is this is dry, most is taken off again just staying around joints and places where grime collects. Then some weathering using the AK Interactive range of weathering pigments. No airbrushing used, they never accumulated the level of track dirt that bubbles or any other stock received.

Richie.

DSCF1716.jpg

DSCF1717.jpg

DSCF1718.jpg

DSCF1719.jpg

DSCF1720.jpg

DSCF1721.jpg

DSCF1723.jpg

DSCF1725.jpg

DSCF1726.jpg

DSCF1728.jpg

DSCF1737.jpg

DSCF1743.jpg

• Like 1

It looks right Richie, everything has been looked at as to how they have weathered over time in traffic. The loading of the stone in particular. Des is spot on DIV 42 looks cool. It must be very satisfactory to see what began as an idea has come to fruition. The research on site, measuring, photographing, and drawing all before being sent out to China.

What is really amazing is that these were announced 18 months ago, deposits were taken, some paid upfront and we have them in front of us now. A lot of people pre ordered and pre pay deposits fro models going back years without any sign of them from the manufacturers. Huge respect for getting them here in that time.

I love the finescale look of some of the details, especially the lamp irons as they can often be a mess and need replacing on some models.

Rich,

What is really amazing is that these were announced 18 months ago, deposits were taken, some paid upfront and we have them in front of us now. A lot of people pre ordered and pre pay deposits fro models going back years without any sign of them from the manufacturers. Huge respect for getting them here in that time.

100% agree. It really is a credit to the team that set the ambitious time lines and got the job done. Showing no sign of let up with the bubbles either!

100% agree. It really is a credit to the team that set the ambitious time lines and got the job done. Showing no sign of let up with the bubbles either!

Plus the Tara's and a to be announced 4th project. Using the medium that Richie has used to weather these wagons also shows that it isn't all about airbrushing. Knowing Richie he would be delighted even if only one person stopped off at an art shop and picked up some gouache, brings it home and has a go at weathering their own wagons. A tube will last ages and if you are not happy remove it and start again.

Rich,

Plus the Tara's and a to be announced 4th project. Using the medium that Richie has used to weather these wagons also shows that it isn't all about airbrushing. Knowing Richie he would be delighted even if only one person stopped off at an art shop and picked up some gouache, brings it home and has a go at weathering their own wagons. A tube will last ages and if you are not happy remove it and start again.

Rich,

What is gouache? Is it a specific colour, or a method, or a type of paint (i.e. acrylic or watercolour)?