Ballyercall (New Irish Layout

Rate this topic

NIRCLASS80

On 17/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, RedRich said:

Amazing shots. They really are magazine quality. The setting is also familiar looking which is what makes it stand out.

Rich,

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Can only agree, Rich. Very much deserves a wider audience.

Thanks so much lads for the positive feedback. Much appreciated. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Hi NIRCLASS80,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your various video and picture postings as part of my rookie learning process - lovely layout and train movements.

Does this imply an end to this particular layout ? - if so, what next ?

The layout will be stored until it’s relocated although that could be months away. Then hopefully space permitting it will become a through station. 

• Like 10

Have to say that I'll miss your [NIRCLASS80] video updates. The layout isn't cluttered and together with you excellent camera they're a joy to watch. As I don't have a permanent layout I like watch videos of others' layouts and gives me the opportunity to see locomotives and rolling stock operating in near prototypical setting (maybe I should join a club). Looking forward to the return of, what I expect to be, a newly revamped Ballyercall and lots more videos. Good luck with the move.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can I just say thanks to everyone for their encouragement and kind remarks about my layout now and over the last four years. I have really enjoyed running Ballyercall. 

I don’t really enjoy the layout building process but I am a bit picky about running a layout as prototypical as possible. 

This model forum is possibly the best for positive comments on the internet. 

Another massive plus over the last four years is the freight stock over this period. 
It’s ok having all the locos in the world but it was the appearance of IRM and the different freight wagons that dragged me away from Canadian modelling after twenty years. 

Now I will get a few last photos taken and start saving for an IRM NIR 80 Class!🙏🏻😂😂😂

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Models, photography and especially some high quality modelling. The track work is so well laid and weathered (that ballasting is sublime!), you barely notice it is narrow gauge, while the way those wagons are snaking into the loop is really nice too. Ground cover is subtle, and it all makes for a beautifully observed scene.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/11/2021 at 10:25 PM, Robert Shrives said:

We can only hope that the good gents at IRM read your last comment on the 80 class - it is a (in my tiny mind) a logical step from the MK2s on their way.  Perhaps via a hunslet to get a  "Bo" power bogie sorted.- Just think of the fun with British units that could be had when in Accurascale "mode."  

Robert  

An 80 would indeed be a logical step. It simply isn’t possible to model NIR realistically at ANY stage between 1974 and the early 2000s.

One must not forget that they also appeared on the Dublin and Cork suburban services, the only type of train ever to serve suburban routes in the three biggest cities in Ireland apart from the equally ubiquitous and equally necessary AEC cars.

It would be an excellent choice and one can only drool at the certain quality that such a thing would have if produced.

A Hunslet, too, would go nicely with the IRM Mk 2 carriages, though possibly more limited in appeal.

• Like 3

The 80 class is actually perhaps the most "useful" of all the multiple units for Irish layouts in general, north or south, post 1974. They got about as you well know @jhb171achill. Even in NIR guise they were seen across much of the CIE/IE network as scheduled and special trains regularly enough I would say. Definitely no need to stretch Rule 1 to run an 80 Class in either NIR or patched IR liveries on most of our layouts I would imagine.

• Like 3