Rate this topic

Irishrailwayman

Wexford Model Railway Club are pleased to announce that they are planning to hold an Open Day at St Joseph's Community Centre, Newline Road, Wexford on Sunday 24th October from 11 am to 5 pm (subject to prevailing covid Regulations). We will have a range of club and member layouts on display including "Little Siddington" our premier O gauge layout which now has scenery completed all the way around its 33 feet by 15 feet perimeter with all signals working! An array of traders will be attending including Irish Railway Models and Model Rail Accessories. The main sports hall will provide ample room for social distancing while allowing everyone to enjoy this first post-covid model railway event. Donations will be accepted at the door for WMRC building extension and club funds.

DSCF4079.thumb.JPG.185ff88130c20b6ca111c12397c31830.JPG

Edited by Irishrailwayman
Updated information
  • Like 8

That's brilliant news. Other than my birthday (which is on the 24th September next) didn't think I'd have anything else to look forward to. I'd say that it will be busy. Glad to see that there'll be an 0 scale layout on display, have become a fan of the larger models since my eyesight started to deteriorate.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, connollystn said:

That's brilliant news. Other than my birthday (which is on the 24th September next) didn't think I'd have anything else to look forward to. I'd say that it will be busy. Glad to see that there'll be an 0 scale layout on display, have become a fan of the larger models since my eyesight started to deteriorate.

Additionally, "Prospect Road TMD" (BR diesel outline) in O Gauge will be making it's exhibition debut at the Open Day alongside it's little cousin "Diesel Depot" in OO (CIE outline)!

DSCF3718.thumb.JPG.905a062836c7e5be39249e1846275771.JPGDSCF3232.thumb.JPG.651f1bea41140b62860694f2fccf089b.JPG

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I've a dang good mind to set sail for Wexford that day. Is this place walkable from Wexford railway station or should I self-guide my own infernal combustion machine?

It's a bit of a hike but normally taxis are available just by the station... Check that train times on Sunday allow you sufficient time at the show. The road to Wexford is mainly motorway now so from South Dublin you should land inside 2 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Irish Railway Models stand might have new announcements at the show since the Dublin show was cancelled because they sometimes make announcements at shows in the UK (ie Warley 2019). The KUA wagons and Class 37s were announced at Warley 2019 by Accurascale, the sister company to Irish Railway Models. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, connollystn said:

@Eagles - That's a great idea regarding new anouncements. If the guys at IRM Towers say that they are going to do that then hardline Dubs, like me, might consider travelling outside our comfort zone and go to the Wexford show.

We'll need to bring a few civilised blue flags to put up there, though.......

3 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

No worries lads, I'm a Dub living here over 22 years and it is safe to come here. Wexford MRC (founded in 1978) is one of only 3 clubs in ROI so well worth a visit!

We will trust your recommendation, Irishrailwayman...........

(I'm going anyway...!)

Was just looking at the train service - it's perfectly feasible, actually. Methinks I will take the train rather than propelling my infernal combustion vehicle in that direction. Always liked travelling on the Dublin & South Eastern Railway. Might get one of the big 4.4.0s.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Preparations are well underway for the Wexford Festival Opera Open Day!

The following members' layouts have been confirmed: Irish outline OO: "Past-Avenue"; "Bog-road Level-crossing"; "Ballygannon" and "Diesel Depot". UK outline OO: "Wheal Rinn"; "Bridge Street" and a guest layout "Weston Interchange". UK outline in O gauge: "Prospect Road TMD" and "Little Siddington".

Traders confirmed include: Irish Railway Models (hopefully with plenty of A Class locomotives), Model Rail Accessories, Brian Collins, Seán Ryan, Phillip McHugh, GModelScene, Dave Bracken and Provincial Models.

There will also be stands for WMRC second-hand sales/Membership, RNLI, Maritime Museum Rosslare and St. Joseph's Warhammer Group.

Looking forward to meeting all our friends in the model railway scene again at our Open Day

DSCF2014.thumb.JPG.16581dee8e3964d7580d0c4696f636b8.JPG.

Edited by Irishrailwayman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Hopefully, Wexford will offer you an opportunity to buy Provincial Wagons kits over the counter for the first time in two years - WITHOUT the obligatory weeks waiting while An Post decide how much to charge you.

More later!

Wexford MRC look forward to welcoming Provincial Wagons back to our Open Day and remember our late friend Anthony McDonald at this time.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, connollystn said:

I'm certainly looking forward to the Wexford Model Railway Club Festival. Can't believe it'll have been two years since I was last at a model railway exhibition. Will there be tea/coffee and light snacks available at the venue?

Still working on catering arrangements post-covid but plan to have tea/coffee/treats available. On site there is the "Pot Belly Café" selling coffee, salads and cooked meat dishes etc.

• Like 1

Excellent news - I missed this previously.  And after seeing the O gauge Layout at the Fort Camden Model day I'm looking forward to see it with scenery now.

I'm also looking forward to a road trip to Wexford ( without a Caravan threatening to disintegrate behind me like an episode of TopGear....).

• Like 3

My announcement regarding Provincial Wagons attendance above seems to have struck a cord, so an update.

First the Good News - I won't be there!

The better news is that I will represented by Lorna McDonald (and family!) who has a finite stock, which is reducing a little by folk e-mailing me with pre-orders.

As they say - "book early to avoid disappointment "  -

E-mail me (preferred) or PM me and I'll ask Lorna to set kits aside for you.

Thanks

Leslie (Provincial Wagons)

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

Wexford won't know itself with all of us Dubs descending on the town the 24th inst. Really looking forward to the show - have my train ticket booked already. Wonder if the guys at I R M will use this opportunity to make a few announcements. 

On the train meself!  We must meet up….. anyone on the train, wear flourescent pink tutus (no, not the Archbishop). I’ve mine somewhere, though please keep that among friends.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1