Depot #8 by Riverbank Railways (fictional 1980s / early 1990s depot)

Rate this topic

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

The depot is sounding great these days :) The last few weeks have concentrated on sound and getting it right. The LokSound decoders for 141/181 from Roads & Rails are great and come with a double iPhone speaker which is good...but I wasn't 100%, so decided to buy a load more speaker types and test them out. Also the iPhone speakers wouldn't quite fit without modifying / filing the chassis, which I didn't want to do without testing other speakers first, so the testing began.

Speaker Testing

Here's the full playlist with all speaker tests so you can see for yourselves if you like :)

Speaker Installation

I eventually settled on a combination of a sugarcube with as deep an enclosure as I could fit into the loco and a megabass speaker which just about fit, with some modification of the chassis. I found various posts on this topic (especially getting the body off) but no videos so created a full start to finish tutorial over in the tutorials section - hopefully it might help someone in the future :)

The Winner

And here's the final result!

Double Heading

And last thing I was doing this week was getting to grips with double heading and how to arrange CV values so as to be able to control loco functions while in the double header - got it running nicely and here's some 181 and 121 examples - enjoy!

New Railway

Last but not least, I am excited to launch Charobyn, a new large layout :)

• 10 months later...
On 27/12/2021 at 10:44 PM, Adrian said:

Delighted with these class 121 sound chips for Christmas :), checked with all the Irish suppliers but eventually got them from Roads & Rails in the UK.

1st is #127 with the newer 645 engine sounds, 2nd is #132 with the older 567 engine - enjoy!

That 567 engine is pure music. Reminds me of my teenage years travelling about the country, often with them up front.

• Like 2

Wonderful stuff. Bears out Sherlock Holmes’s admonition to Watson ‘you see but you do not observe’. This layout is full of real observation, applied and modelled. That abandoned rail, for instance, is spot on. It’s all about subtle tones and subtle transitions. Really good modelling - well done! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

You have a real modeller's eye for the detail Adrian. Nothing escapes you and it shows in the end result. A health and safety officer's nightmare from the 90's with slippy surfaces and trip hazards galore. Love it! If I can achieve these standards in my own diesel shed some day I will be very pleased.

• Like 4

Really stunning work, your attention to detail and explanatory notes are exceptional, a really big help to people like myself who lack the confidence to take on these type of tasks, after having really enjoyed your your tutorial on sound fitting a 141 loco, I cannot wait for the 071 and 201 tutorials. Thanks Adrian.

Regards

John.👍

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

What a fine piece of work. It's a perfect demonstration of the value of looking properly and reproducing what you see. Heavy weathering is really hard to do well, even harder than light weathering in my experience - it's too easy to bury the model in gunge but you've really cracked it Adrian. Subtle and totally convincing. Masterclass.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1