Happy Christmas

Rate this topic

josefstadt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's been and gone and we are all still here :banana:

So, I guess it's safe to wish all on the Forum a very Merry Christmas and train-loaded New Year from the management and staff of the Cildargan Section, C.I.E. in far-off Tasmania.:trains:

Darn it, I could have bought 071s with the money I wasted on the tickets in the space capsule :facepalm:

Hi Garfield,

thanks dude... Its a Frateschi model of a New Zealand Railways loco. Not an exact match to the real thing but close enough. Would like to add some detailing parts to it, improve the handrails and glazing and bring it up a notch. Would look cool double heading with my other DX and a rake of coal hoppers (Just like I remember them). It's a Brazilian manufacturer and the quality is a good few years behind what's expected in the US and Europe now. But the new 'Kiwi Rail' livery is spot on and looks rather striking on a layout (or it will when its built!!!).

Hi Sulzer, as far as I know they're GE locos. It's an export model that turned up on many narrower gauge railways around the world. NZ being fairly narrow compared to Ireland due to all the mountainous topography on the North and south Islands. These locos also turned up in Brasil, South Africa and Taiwan I believe. I saw them mostly hauling Coal trains and the Tranzapline passenger train down in the South Island NZ. Sometimes with 2, 4 or more locos to cope with the steep gradients.

Loving the UP SD70 and Star Wars Christmas party... Warbonnet. I have turned to the darkside of railway modelling after all :cool:

Cheers lads, Hope Santy delivered for you all this year :tumbsup:

P1060662.JPG

Happy Christmas everyone!

Shinkansen... the GE looks great - what brand is it?

Happy Christmas guys and gals!

As I'm waiting for the Supertrain 071 to be released I was'nt expecting much in the way of railway-related pressies. But lo and behold I unwrapped a parcel this morning from herself to find some Hornby Skaledale goodies. Bless her, she knew I was working on a station for the layout! :-bd

Is it wrong to admit that I noticed the UP 'Building America' Athearn Genesis SD70M before the Lego?

-Rob

Not at all, a few Genesis heritage schemers are currently next to it too.

I didn't get anything train related this year (yet!) but my beloved did facilitate my love of Star Wars and lego. I reckon this will keep me busy for a while...

011.jpg

Nice loco Shinkansen, John Mayner should be able to provide you with prototype info on them.

Edited by Warbonnet

Happy Christmas Lads & Ladesses.

Christmas comes a little earlier in these parts, no pressies as such but some good modelling time before and after lunch setting up the DCC system once again for the garden railway & wiring up the 21mm test track.

The DXs are impressive looking locos until you see the driver having to crouch down to get in or out of the cab scaled down is very much the word. Frateschi are a bit like LGB and tend to vary the scale depending on whether the model is Narrow or South American Broad gauge.

55 #832 approaching Koiri.jpg

Happy Christmas Lads & Ladesses.

Christmas comes a little earlier in these parts, no pressies as such but some good modelling time before and after lunch setting up the DCC system once again for the garden railway & wiring up the 21mm test track.

The DXs are impressive looking locos until you see the driver having to crouch down to get in or out of the cab scaled down is very much the word. Frateschi are a bit like LGB and tend to vary the scale depending on whether the model is Narrow or South American Broad gauge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4746[/ATTACH]

Hi John,

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Sounds like you're putting the Christmas break to very good use, good on ya :) Once all the Christmas dinners and meeting relatives stuff is finished.... I might crack on with my own layout!

Excellent photo of some double heading 'DX's by the way. I really do like the new livery on these. If you think the prototype is a little underwhelming, don't look too close at any of the rail infrastructure, it's shocking... (NZ's other extream sport!). Just wondering, would you have any good pictures of coal wagons by any chance? Making plans to create a train for my pair of DX's and some kit bashing is on the cards, not bothering with the Frateschi wagons, reckon i can do better/cheaper. Any help would gladly be appreciated thanks.

Tom.

well lads, for being good all year, i was rewarded with an xmas present to remember ( not that i'm ever likely to forget!) with a visit by my mother. so with her in one corner and the dreaded mother-in law in the other - i had the best xmas ever.....sad-crying-smiley-face.gif

but..

santy did reward me with a 071 sound chip with another to follow in the new year, a nir caf 3 car set and 2 of westys sulzers! HAPPY DAYS:tumbsup:

Edited by heirflick