Quali-tea Liners - Our Container Flats Are Back With New Liveries

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

We're gearing up for the first three day Dublin show since 2019, and here is the first of several(!) IRM announcements this week!

It is, of course, the return of our container liners in loaded and unloaded form.

PLACE YOUR PRE-ORDER BY CLICKING HERE!

harp_kegs_0005_600x600.jpg?v=1666619900

Our first run of container lines spearheaded the release of our "Project 42" range, and famously sold out completely on pre-order before the wagons actually arrived in stock. We have now returned them to the range, with both twin packs loaded with our CIE 20ft containers in CIE livery, faded CIE livery with Harp Larger lettering, and the iconic Lyons Tea liveries. 

cia_0003_600x600.jpg?v=1666620073

Also in the range is a triple pack of empty flats in CIE/IR livery, with spigots included so you can put on either one 40 ft container, or two 20ft containers per wagon. We will also have CIE containers available separately once again or they will also work with CRail containers.

IRM1051UNB_0036_600x600.jpg?v=1666620455Leading our own charge against the cost of living crisis, we have held the price on these wagons, with the twin packs with containers at €99.95 each, and the triple unladen pack also is €99.95. Our usual bundle discount of 10% when you buy two packs or more also applies as well as free postage and packaging to Ireland and the UK. The twin container accessory packs are priced at €12.95 each.

lyons_tea_0001_600x600.jpg?v=1666623095

These wagons are complete and already on their way from China. We hope to have a small quantity available at the 3 day show this weekend, but it is likely that they will arrive in stock next week instead. These have been made in very limited quantities so early pre-ordering is advised. Make sure you don't miss out, place your pre-order here

View the full article

• Like 9
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Very nice looking as usual. Any info on the years the containers (tea and kegs) ran in chaps?

Any idea why the Harp kegs specifically went in these? 

Lyons tea introduced  8 new 20 ft containers in 1970 and from Dublin the liners went to Cork, Tralee, Limerick, Kilkenny, Athlone, Galway, Sligo, Dundalk and Wexford

Hows the tour going?

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

50 minutes ago, Bob229 said:

Lyons tea introduced  8 new 20 ft containers in 1970 and from Dublin the liners went to Cork, Tralee, Limerick, Kilkenny, Athlone, Galway, Sligo, Dundalk and Wexford

Hows the tour going?

Cheers Bob, any idea when they were retired?

Tour going lovely. Have updated my thread 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, murphaph said:

Very nice looking as usual. Any info on the years the containers (tea and kegs) ran in chaps?

Any idea why the Harp kegs specifically went in these? 

I took a photo of a Lyons Tea container on a 4w flat at Inchacore in the Mid-80s, possibly in use as a CME Dept. 'stores van" for storing/moving spare parts between Inchacore-Limerick and other depots.

Lyons Tea wagon.jpg

The |"Harp" containers may have been used for moving empty kegs between different brewery sites.

Its likely IE ceased using containers for empty keg traffic following the introduction of the 3 tier Keg Cages in the early 1990s

One of the last uses of the traditional H vans was a train transferring empty kegs from Dundalk to Kilkenny in 1978, the redundant vans were stored/dumped in Waterford North Wharf yard following the move.

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

Lyons Tea had a small store in the North Kerry yard in Tralee on a bank between the gantry crane and county council tar depot. Prior to the introduction of the 20 foot containers I remember seeing 10 foot containers with Lyons Tea markings in open wagons in use for this traffic.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

8 hours ago, patrick said:

Lyons Tea had a small store in the North Kerry yard in Tralee on a bank between the gantry crane and county council tar depot. Prior to the introduction of the 20 foot containers I remember seeing 10 foot containers with Lyons Tea markings in open wagons in use for this traffic.

The Type A  Lyons Tea containers still appear to be available as a card kit. These were introduced for use with the Peco Wonderful Wagons container wagon which was considered to be state of the art with sprung buffers and sprung chassis by the standard of the 1960s. I usually saw one of these containers (in an open wagon) in a train being shunted by an E Class on the Kingsbridge (Heuston) Goods head shunt viewed from the top deck of the 23 bus during the mid late 60s.

The Lyons Tea containers seem to have appeared singly so possibly one container to each depot on a weekly or possibly more frequent cycle

279111124_LyonsteacontainerPeco.jpg.3a5a030d40ffd397a1d043695be5f304.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative 2

7 hours ago, Mayner said:

The Type A  Lyons Tea containers still appear to be available as a card kit. These were introduced for use with the Peco Wonderful Wagons container wagon which was considered to be state of the art with sprung buffers and sprung chassis by the standard of the 1960s. I usually saw one of these containers (in an open wagon) in a train being shunted by an E Class on the Kingsbridge (Heuston) Goods head shunt viewed from the top deck of the 23 bus during the mid late 60s.

The Lyons Tea containers seem to have appeared singly so possibly one container to each depot on a weekly or possibly more frequent cycle

279111124_LyonsteacontainerPeco.jpg.3a5a030d40ffd397a1d043695be5f304.jpg

@Mayner, if they made it to the Peco range, would that indicate that they were exported across the Irish Sea to the UK? Was Lyons a popular brand in the UK in the 70's?

1 hour ago, dave182 said:

@Mayner, if they made it to the Peco range, would that indicate that they were exported across the Irish Sea to the UK? Was Lyons a popular brand in the UK in the 70's?

Lyons is an English company. Famous for tea houses in London - Lyons Corner Houses.  The Irish bit is a subsidiary.https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/where-is-lyons-tea-from-thomas-harding-5182235-Aug2020/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Lyons is an English company. Famous for tea houses in London - Lyons Corner Houses.  The Irish bit is a subsidiary.https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/where-is-lyons-tea-from-thomas-harding-5182235-Aug2020/

Thanks Galteemore! That would indicate then that the 8 containers they purchased were specifically for use in Ireland so

• Like 2

Same. I've ordered a rake of kegs and the empty triple pack. Excellent value per wagon (almost as cheap as the Black Friday spoils deal!) and the run is fairly small by the looks of it. I wouldn't wait around too long either. Lyons Tea and Harp containers sadly (or maybe thankfully!) out of era for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Same. I've ordered a rake of kegs and the empty triple pack. Excellent value per wagon (almost as cheap as the Black Friday spoils deal!) and the run is fairly small by the looks of it. I wouldn't wait around too long either. Lyons Tea and Harp containers sadly (or maybe thankfully!) out of era for me.

One of them, think it's the Harp pack, is down to seventy units remaining already.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

A question for the IRM lads, are all the 42’ flats from the new release sold out?  I see the IRM site still has stock but the Accurascale site says sold out?  Can I order a UK order from the IRM site still?  

regards Gareth 

The UK stock is in transit at the moment, and will be counted in hopefully mid week, no customs jollies assumed, at which point if you have preordered from accurascale, those orders will dispatch, and the small balance of stock will be available if you left it until now to buy. Hope that helps!

7 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

The UK stock is in transit at the moment, and will be counted in hopefully mid week, no customs jollies assumed, at which point if you have preordered from accurascale, those orders will dispatch, and the small balance of stock will be available if you left it until now to buy. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the update. 

49 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Received my Liners and Guinness this morning and they are fabulous wagons, I do notice that some of the wagons are numbered below 30100 which were the 1971 original 42 flats , I thought the ones that IRM were doing were the 30101 upwards numbers? 

Sorry, bit dim here, but what does that mean? There are two types of 42' Flats?

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Sorry, bit dim here, but what does that mean? There are two types of 42' Flats?

No , your certainly not dim , there were two batches of 42’ containers flats , the first batch were built 1971 30001-30099 distinguished by using ride control bogies and  second batch 30100 onwards built 1974 using sambre et meuse bogies virtually the same wagons. 

• Informative 4

On 11/11/2022 at 2:08 PM, flange lubricator said:

No , your certainly not dim , there were two batches of 42’ containers flats , the first batch were built 1971 30001-30099 distinguished by using ride control bogies and  second batch 30100 onwards built 1974 using sambre et meuse bogies virtually the same wagons. 

Do the 1971 batch of 30001 to 30099 still run on ride control bogies today, or have they been updated with Sambre et Meuse bogies?