I wonder how many of us got a train set for Christmas!..........

Rate this topic

LARNE CABIN

Dae ye mind o Christmas long ago

When we were only wee

There wurnae phones nur laptoups

In the presents neath the tree

We were happy wi a jigsaw

An annual or a game

A dolly for the lassies

An fur the lads a train

An then if we were lucky

A big selection box

Then sometimes, no so lucky

Yer Granny's knitted socks.

© Scottish And Proud - Alba Gu Brath.

Let's hope Santa brings train sets to lots of boys (or girls) and inspires a new generation of (Irish) Railway Modellers.

A Happy and Peaceful Christmas to all.

• Like 8

My first set (early 60s) tin plate American freight train, the loco was powered by a single battery in the boiler loco and all cars 4w, second set 2-3 years later was tinplate American streamliner (3 car) again all 4w but could also run in reverse. The tinplate sets did not last very long as I was and still am a 'tinkerer" who enjoys taking things apart.

The third set a Lego train with a battery locomotive lasted longer as I was able to rebuild the locomotive from a Tank to a Tender loco using parts from my Lego set.

I got to choose a 'proper' train set a Triang-Hornby "South African Goods" for my first teenage Christmas present during the late 60s. There was nothing South African about the set as it featured the recently introduced M7 loco and BR wagons. The "South African Goods" did not last very long I traded in the M7 for a Triang-Hornby 0-6-0 diesel shunter a year later and started scratchbuilding plasticard and tinplate British and later Irish outline bodies to run on butchered Triang-Hornby chassis.

My first reasonably successful kitbash was a crude model of SLNCR Lough Gill with a tinplate body (Coke tin) on a Triang Princess chassis block fitted with Triang-Hornby 0-6-0 driving wheels, it looked rough but actually ran, I butchered the Princess into a Black 5 before attempting the Irish loco.

I guess I haven't changed much I am still a tinkerer after 50 years though the end results in terms of my modelling seem to have improved

• Like 4

Triang for me and looking back pretty awful. The Jinty was vaguely representative, while the 'diesel dock shunter' looked like nothing British. It did have a light though and ran at warp speed round right angle corners. It could pull five coaches too, three more than my Princess Royal...

Scalectrix, Lego and Airfix kits took over until the inevitable sabbatical to push up the value of brewery shares and chase members of the fair sex!

The return to modelling was perhaps unconventional in that I decided to go EM and light railways, for which their was very little RTR. A Wrenn R1 got me started, then came K's Terrier and Adam's Radial kits before more esoteric stuff like a Colonel Stephens railcar. 7mmNG came next, then 0 gauge light railways, BR 1950s East Anglia and finally Ireland!

Guess the one philosophy I have stuck to is basic "needs v wants". I only buy what I need, so have never had drawers of unmade kits - currently a Branchlines Clogher Valley coach and an Alphagraphix six wheeler is the sum total, though the wish list certainly extensive!

• Like 4

At the age of 5, Hornby's "Freightmaster" train set, containing an oval of Super-4 track, a Triang Class 31 A1A-A1A and five wagons plus brake van. The controller wasn't a mains one, but had to be mounted on top of two bulky Ever-Ready 6-volt batteries. These:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjHjInBq4v8AhUKnu0KHVKYBAUYABAVGgJkZw&ae=2&sig=AOD64_18jd7aTg96-Q_NJQa0zrYMsxAz9w&adurl&ctype=5&ved=0CAIQz7YHKApqFwoTCPiu38Sri_wCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

The control lever lifted out from the hub of it.

The rest, as they say, is hysterical.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

Mix of stuff for me - we had a range of stuff used to pass through our house for RPSI fundraising. I got to see all kinds of stuff - Hornby, Triang, Fleischmann , Lilliput. My favourite was Hornby Dublo. The detail was comparable with 70s Hornby but ran far better and was more robust. Various things followed including Japanese N and UK O - and finally Irish 5’3 7mm. What I think is important as we grow is discovering not so much what we like to model as how we do it. For years I thought it was about creating a stage to run as much rtr as you could. I really didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I was meant to, and as I know others really do. Then I discovered making my own stuff….the sheer joy of rolling a smooth brass chassis you’ve made takes you right back to the joy of battery trains on the carpet !

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

My first trainset?

Andy Cundick, at least, will enjoy this -

CASTLEDERG, 1950: My Dad was the Customs sergeant at the RUC Barrack and I was four years old. A  shop in Omagh (I guess) arranged for Santa to come round on, if my memory hasn't failed, a horse drawn coach from which presents were handed down to the children of customers.

I assume mine was opened on Christmas Day. It was a clockwork train (loco, tender and, I think, two open wagons) with a circle of track.

There's a much sadder sequel. My Dad became Station Sergeant at Carrickmore the following year and on the day we moved into the Sergeant's Quarters (at one end of the barrack - it's still there!) I was sent outside to play. I took my train and was filling the wagons with gravel from the Barrack's drive. A large shadow loomed over me - "What do you think you're doing?" The owner of the voice was one Constable Cecil Cunningham, who I remember as a big amiable fellow, but who was destined to be the sixth RUC man to be killed in The Troubles. So, I'll not forget that trainset (or him).

On a happier note, I'm still playing trains 72 years later!

• Like 9

No not me, I purchased my first one with money from my paper round, I was into Airfix kits before trains.

I would say I'm not a collector, I purchase for Exhibition layouts I'm building at the time, then once it goes, so does the stock.

Not this Irish stuff though, the IRM A is beautiful in light green and I have a request for a grey 121 in with Santa , they could be around for a while.

Happy Christmas to you all and a better 2023 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dave Dawes said:

No not me, I purchased my first one with money from my paper round, I was into Airfix kits before trains.

I would say I'm not a collector, I purchase for Exhibition layouts I'm building at the time, then once it goes, so does the stock.

Not this Irish stuff though, the IRM A is beautiful in light green and I have a request for a grey 121 in with Santa , they could be around for a while.

Happy Christmas to you all and a better 2023 

Well done Dave. DIY! Don't wait for someone to do it for you.

I worked for a month one summer and put the proceedings (after paying my Stamp and a bit to Mum for housekeeping) into the Hornby Dublo "Cardiff Castle".

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

"Cardiff Castle".

If you look at the houses along the southern section of Cardiff Castle Road in Finglas, you will notice the similarity in style, but that doesn't give away the full history.

They were built by a 'commune' of building workers, for themselves.

My uncle was one, he was the carpenter of the multi-skilled group.

The roofs still look OK.

He died in 2021, aged 103.

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

My first model railway set was by Jouef which contained a BR class 29 with freight wagons made up of French stock. My second was the Lima CIE Supertrain set. Was disappointed when I realised that it wasn't an Irish prototype but, rather, the BR class 33 badly dressed up as a bit of a cross between and A and C class locomotive. It would have come last if it was competing in Ru Paul's drag race.

• Like 5

Just a little Addendum to the story of Leslie's LNWR coaches.

Wrenneire won't like them - Hattons' producer has devised a simple to open secure packaging for these six wheelers - so no video on how to open the box is necessary!

You'll all see what I mean when the "Snail" versions arrive on your doorstep!

10 minutes ago, Broithe said:

If you look at the houses along the southern section of Cardiff Castle Road in Finglas, you will notice the similarity in style, but that doesn't give away the full history.

They were built by a 'commune' of building workers, for themselves.

My uncle was one, he was the carpenter of the multi-skilled group.

The roofs still look OK.

He died in 2021, aged 103.

Great story, Broithe. Long live the men of skill. I bet he smoked a pipe and enjoyed his glass too.

• Like 4

Christmas 1972 my Dad bought a second-hand Marklin train set from a work colleague and it was set out on the dining table on Christmas morning.  I can still see it now - my Grandad had built a tunnel for it (from scratch) and a station and signal box (using the Airfix kits). It was a roundy roundy with a passing loop but was absolutely fantastic.  Two steam locos and some 4-wheel tinplate coaches.  Happy days.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 6

Whaaaat!!! No four-part series of some gricer in England walking round a table prattling on about stuff, while we wonder which episode (usually about 27 hours into it), we will stop having to listen to the bore, and SEE the thing running round a layout at something over a scale 4 mph!

You know what really irritates me? People talking about "walking round" an item you could put in your pocket, as if it's a (real) 55 seater bus in a showroom......  take the damn thing out of its box and put it on the track. Switch on power.  4 second video.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Just now, jhb171achill said:

Whaaaat!!! No four-part series of some gricer in England walking round a table prattling on about stuff, while we wonder which episode (usually about 27 hours into it), we will stop having to listen to the bore, and SEE the thing running round a layout at something over a scale 4 mph!

You know what really irritates me? People talking about "walking round" an item you could put in your pocket, as if it's a (real) 55 seater bus in a showroom......  take the damn thing out of its box and put it on the track. Switch on power.  4 second video.

Except if the livery is wrong, JHB…..

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Just a little Addendum to the story of Leslie's LNWR coaches.

Wrenneire won't like them - Hattons' producer has devised a simple to open secure packaging for these six wheelers - so no video on how to open the box is necessary!

Just now, Galteemore said:

Except if the livery is wrong, JHB…..

Ah, well THAT is quite another story!  😉

• Funny 1

Seeing this thread has snowballed, I suppose I had better put in my own memory. Mine was an N gauge set, possibly Lone Star, I can't really remember, but I do remember a dark green Deltic and three LMS coaches, an oval of track and a basic controller. I wish I'd kept it as it would be worth a lot today, I'm sure. I say I don't really remember, but I do remember the circumstances. I remember lying awake in bed listening for Sammy Mathews, the 'tick man'. He called late at night, once a week, and could get you anything 'on tick', buy now pay later. My mother was the sort of woman who didn't like to owe money, so she would have been paying this off, so much a week, probably for months before Christmas. So the 'tick man' brought my train set, not Santa, but on Christmas morning it was a dream come true. I still marvel at the efforts my parents went to to get me my first train set.

• Like 5

Probably had various Thomas and Brio sets when I was small but my first 'proper' trainset was the Hornby "Diesel Breakdown" set...

It was the Christmas of 1997 which as some may recall was during a big storm... we had no power for days so I couldn't use it. :(

Quite a bit of play value in it to be fair, later discovered the 06 'never ran like that' but at that age I couldn't care...

Picture1.png

Edited by Niles
self critical grammar nazi
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Niles said:

Brio

Ah, I did have the Lego motor unit and the individual rails.

Trains | 4.5V | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database

Lego had the advantage of packing down with little airspace and not being very fragile.

With traction tyres and ridged rails, it would ascend a fair slope and rather extreme bridges could be constructed.

The batteries fitted in the larger box, above the motor housing.

You could, of course, make all sorts of things with the motor as the basis, not just railway-related items.

Edited by Broithe
  • Like 5

Just now, Broithe said:

Ah, I did have the Lego motor unit an the individual rails.

Trains | 4.5V | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database

Lego had the advantage of packing down with little airspace and not being very fragile.

With traction tyres and ridged rails, it would ascend a fair slope and rather extreme bridges could be constructed.

You could, of course, make all sorts of things with the motor as the basis, no just railway-related items.

Traction tyres... now that you say it I had a Tomy set that I'm pretty certain had such features. You could plug in Lego bricks to the platforms too I think...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broithe said:

Ah, I did have the Lego motor unit and the individual rails.

You could, of course, make all sorts of things with the motor as the basis, not just railway-related items.

I still have these;-

722662496_20221221_212132Lego-01.jpg.d6656e76324a6e0080897ef4985caf2a.jpg

Eoin

• Like 6