eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Thousands of pilgrims can’t be wrong Noel....the real Lough Derg is in Donegal/Fermanagh. What it lacks in size  it makes up for in sanctity...https://www.loughderg.org/,

and to keep vaguely on a railway topic, it was served by Pettigo station, with a ghastly canopy that was required to shelter all the pilgrims from grim Ulster weather. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

Just now, jhb171achill said:

Oh, THAT one!!

In that case, I'll be bringing my dredging equipment to Borris-in-Moneygall........

Yes not the island of hot pokers and bare feet in Donegal. :) Lower Lough Erne in Fermanagh is also a beautiful mystical lough, worth a week on a charter cruiser.

• Like 2

My last comments on this 
Murphy owns the moulds for the 141/181's not Bachmann
He made sure of that after his involvement with Lima and his 201's
Any alterations to the existing mould will add cost and in some cases a new mould may have to be made
Not going to happen

The A class are not retailing at €400 each, and there are more than 100 units being produced.
What does this mean. makes no sense to me?
There are 17 A class's being produced, I reckon 400 of each at least so 6,800 locos which will cover the cost of tooling and allow them to be sold at €190 a pop

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

The A class are not retailing at €400 each, and there are more than 100 units being produced.

What does this mean. makes no sense to me?
There are 17 A class's being produced, I reckon 400 of each at least so 6,800 locos which will cover the cost of tooling and allow them to be sold at €190 a pop

You said that when the next Irish loco is released, it will cost €400 a pop, and will likely only sell 100 units of each livery.

That's what that meant.

But, now I'm confused.

Are you saying that for the next Irish loco after the A, they will have a massive price and won't sell well?

Or that if they have a reasonable price, they will sell like the A's and a larger batch should be run to allow the market dynamics to do work naturally?

Sorry, that bit wasn't clear to me.

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

You said that when the next Irish loco is released, it will cost €400 a pop, and will likely only sell 100 units of each livery.

That's what that meant.

But, now I'm confused.

Are you saying that for the next Irish loco after the A, they will have a massive price and won't sell well?

Or that if they have a reasonable price, they will sell like the A's and a larger batch should be run to allow the market dynamics to do work naturally?

Sorry, that bit wasn't clear to me.

I believe he means a re released loco as you would struggle to sell as many so would have to do a smaller production run which inevitably would increase the price per unit. Small production runs are usually an inconvenience for the manufacturer and comes with a higher cost

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Strimmers said:

I believe he means a re released loco as you would struggle to sell as many so would have to do a smaller production run which inevitably would increase the price per unit. Small production runs are usually an inconvenience for the manufacturer and comes with a higher cost

How does anybody know if one company would struggle to sell a model that another company released 10 / 15 / 20 years previously?

Obviously, a smaller production run means worse economies of scale, so is a terrible idea from a business perspective unless you could sell at a higher price.

The 141's / 181's cost €100 or so when new and the 071's cost €140 odd when new, so technically, yes, you can sell them for a much higheI price nowadays - €190 for the A Class and 121's.

Even if that increase were entirely eaten up by improvements, inflation, exchange rates etc, and we say that the sale price is the same from a job point of view, why would they not sell?

The market is huge compared to what it was.

IRM have just sent out an email regarding the 121's, saying:

"We will not be getting further stocks of some of these particular liveries and running numbers in stock, and they are also sold out at Murphy Models in some cases, so once they're gone, they're gone!"

Hattons have the IR 121's sold out on pre-order several weeks now. 6000 odd locos selling out like this, it's insane, it's incredible, and it's change.

I know that it'd be lovely to be nostalgic and protect the exclusivity of a collectors item forever, but the market will speak, will change and will grow.

Nobody really knows what stage of saturation the market is at today, we can only speculate, and I guarantee that nobody knows where it'll be in five years time.

Sure nobody knows where they'll be themselves in five years time.

😆

• Like 2

With out going into detail, I would guess that the Irish model railway market is very much based on the Irish railways of the last 50 years or so. It is after all what most of you guys have been brought up with.

In the UK, we have had a much longer period of model railways going back to the 1930's and also a big section of scratching building from the 1940’s to today.

I can't see where the demand will be for a genuine RTR Irish steam loco, if anything ( yes we have had a couple of RTR steam locos in small batches, but nothing compared to the Diesel locos from MM, this will remain in my view very much a kit and scratch building arena.

By comparison to the huge American market the Irish model railway market is almost like a cottage industry.

I would encourage cottage industries within the Irish model market if you want to see more models, I would suggest we could do with someone on the lines of Narrow Planet:-

https://www.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/loco-kits

Good 3D printing is coming and the printing machines are getting better, so may be with in 5 years who knows, it may well be that someone will develop the models to a point where a number of prints of different members of each class will be available, it will then be down to the individual to get it painted, but then this too may create another cottage industry by one person buying and custom painting these locos for the individual, as I see it, the market is full of possibilities right now.

I think what ever happens in the Irish model railway market; it will come down to a few people who either have the talent or the will power to contribute to the market in someway, what we can’t allow is from either side of the puddle the detail suppler to disappear, while we have a number here in the UK a number of them are getting on in age and I can for see the time when due to old age a number of the small companies pack up and these items are lost to us all.  

As much as I would love to see more rtr Irish steam locos, I can’t see it happening anytime soon, due to the numbers that would sell could be even smaller than the current market for a new run of class 201’s              

• Like 1

I reckon any viable steam loco in RTR would have to be something that survived to preservation so us 'modern' modellers can buy it too.

I'm conscious as a newly returned member of the fraternity of the need to support the kit suppliers if we want the more exotic items that will never be viable RTR.

First orders placed with SSM, Railtec and DC Kits this week 🙂

I'm also looking at other items from other smaller suppliers but I'm also being careful not to buy more materials than I can assemble in my lifetime!

Edited by murphaph
  • Like 3

Yep a quality No.4, 131, 171 ,85, 186, 184, 461 and even the little 2 numbers 3 ala the Hornby Peckett would be great for a shunting layout  I'd say would disappear off the shelves, UK Steam head collectors would buy these up too. If I had the readies and all that I'd throw a few bob at it but easy for me to say.

When the modern stuff runs out for IRM Horizons afar might call! . Plus you have lots of other options to produce with different numbers for each loco plus opens up coaches, wagons etc and a lot more poorer people!

171 for instance, Green, Black and Blue, imagine this tearing around your oval!....Yum smell that oil.

image.thumb.png.0dc57d2fa81ab230b3e0d10e4106daa3.png

Those Scottish 812 class just look the biz in blue. 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35627/bachmann-35-280z-oo-gauge-caledonian-railway-blue-mcintosh-812-class-0-6-0-steam-locomotive-no-828-as-built-

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184557747209?_trksid=p2471758.m4703,

two tanktainers ?  £26 first bid - private listing of first bidder...  Two plastic tanks or a weeks shopping for me,  crikey!

Yes a jeep would work for me too.  Revolution trains/ Rapdio have announced an N gauge class 28 co-bo diesel nodoubt the Crossley sound effects might have a  crossover?!  It shows that despite small market size a loco that in reality was a bit of a duffer has  "underdog sympathy" and as it spanned the transition era it increases market pick up. 

3D printing has moved on in leaps and  bounds in 3mm scale Lenny Sweeny  has this among others.    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASS-59-GM-Freight-Loco-3MM-SCALE/124442350241?hash=item1cf95792.   They are created on his home printer and are amazingly good. Almost layer free and with a wash and dry in a cream abrasive cleaner to de grease are ready to paint.    I would think with good drawings a Jeep to fit say a Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4 chassis more than achievable.  I have said at Warley show over last few years that 3D prints make for variation not cost saving and this will continue for a while longer as it is the chassis that costs to buy.    

Robert 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, murphaph said:

I reckon any viable steam loco in RTR would have to be something that survived to preservation so us 'modern' modellers can buy it too.

I'm conscious as a newly returned member of the fraternity of the need to support the kit suppliers if we want the more exotic items that will never be viable RTR.

First orders placed with SSM, Railtec and DC Kits this week 🙂

I'm also looking at other items from other smaller suppliers but I'm also being careful not to buy more materials than I can assemble in my lifetime!

Don't forget OO Works Irish J15 and their Irish 4-4-0 a few years ago. Cracking steam locos.

• Like 3

On 2/12/2020 at 2:55 AM, Georgeconna said:

Yep a quality No.4, 131, 171 ,85, 186, 184, 461 and even the little 2 numbers 3 ala the Hornby Peckett would be great for a shunting layout  I'd say would disappear off the shelves, UK Steam head collectors would buy these up too. If I had the readies and all that I'd throw a few bob at it but easy for me to say.

When the modern stuff runs out for IRM Horizons afar might call! . Plus you have lots of other options to produce with different numbers for each loco plus opens up coaches, wagons etc and a lot more poorer people!

171 for instance, Green, Black and Blue, imagine this tearing around your oval!....Yum smell that oil.

image.thumb.png.0dc57d2fa81ab230b3e0d10e4106daa3.png

Those Scottish 812 class just look the biz in blue. 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35627/bachmann-35-280z-oo-gauge-caledonian-railway-blue-mcintosh-812-class-0-6-0-steam-locomotive-no-828-as-built-

That Caledonian is the biz, would love to have something like that in Irish outline. I had a whole load of British outline model steam locos at one point, the prototypes from decades before i was born. There has been that option available for Irish steam. 

That was what was available so that's what I bought.

Love the 4-4-0 designs, a little variety from 0-6-0s all the time, nice shot of 171 and the heritage set

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DiveController said:

That Caledonian is the biz, would love to have something like that in Irish outline. I had a whole load of British outline model steam locos at one point, the prototypes from decades before i was born. There has been that option available for Irish steam. 

That was what was available so that's what I bought.

Love the 4-4-0 designs, a little variety from 0-6-0s all the time, nice shot of 171 and the heritage set

Lovely loco - and it would do very well as a generic "Irish" loco, given a dip in a pot of dark grey paint. But that would spoil that lovely livery!

Roderick Bruce of 00 Works did do a RTR GNR 0.6.0 plus a RTR GSWR / GSR / CIE 0.6.0 in the past, or course.

Hopefully something else will come along soon!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 5:08 PM, jhb171achill said:

Lovely loco - and it would do very well as a generic "Irish" loco, given a dip in a pot of dark grey paint. But that would spoil that lovely livery!

Roderick Bruce of 00 Works did do a RTR GNR 0.6.0 plus a RTR GSWR / GSR / CIE 0.6.0 in the past, or course.

Hopefully something else will come along soon!

Yup, have those already

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Noel said:

Wow a real collectors item, one of the original white metal kits. Buyer should perhaps never built it and instead keep it as a bit of model heritage and history.

I built a whitemetal MIR 141 in Supertrain livery in the mid 90s.

Solder assembly with added detail on a simple brass chassis with shortened Athearn GP35 drive, would pull any train with the combination of all metal body and all wheel drive.

I also built a pair of 121s in IE livery but whimped out and used Athearn SW1500 Chassis, the 121s were let down by my crude attempt at the IE Tippex stripes.

I sold them before heading South, would make an interesting time capsule I wonder are they still about?

431249781_mypicturesbackupfile2004504.thumb.jpg.7654fd4d36aa9dec0eb3e7a30ec7d0e4.jpg

Before the days of DCC or sound! my attempt at 132 assembled from a whitemetal MIR kit a little worse for wear and crude Tippex stripes.

• Like 7