eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

It’s also probably built to 32mm gauge for a UK light railway layout, so console yourself with that too! The vendor is also very honest about its poor running. If that’s simply pickups, no problem. If it’s a misaligned chassis or out of sync rods then probably one to avoid…..

Edited by Galteemore

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

It’s also probably built to 32mm gauge for a UK light railway layout, so console yourself with that too! The vendor is also very honest about its poor running. If that’s simply pickups, no problem. If it’s a misaligned chassis or out of sync rods then probably one to avoid…..

It's an Alphagrahix kit right? It should have the clearance under the splashers to be rebuilt to the proper gauge in that case. Is that correct?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

It's an Alphagrahix kit right? It should have the clearance under the splashers to be rebuilt to the proper gauge in that case. Is that correct?

It should. Having built 3 Alphagraphix loco to 5’3”, though, great care has to be taken in the construction process to ensure clearances, esp on a loco as tiny as Argadeen. If the original builder hasn’t pushed the splasher width to the max, could be a tricky proposition.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, Garfield said:

A nice model of the Timoleague & Courtmacsherry Light Railway's 'Argadeen'.  I'm not sure how authentic the lined green livery is, though.

Argadeen appears to be in GSR post 1929 condition with "Imps" boiler, though looks very pretty in lined green.

I seriously thought of getting rid of my 4mm stuff and building an O Scale T&C layout several years ago, 1-2 locos, 1-2 coaches available as kits and 10 wagons and an easier scale to work in than 4mm when your getting on a bit!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Argadeen appears to be in GSR post 1929 condition with "Imps" boiler, though looks very pretty in lined green.

I seriously thought of getting rid of my 4mm stuff and building an O Scale T&C layout several years ago, 1-2 locos, 1-2 coaches available as kits and 10 wagons and an easier scale to work in than 4mm when your getting on a bit!

I’m always contemplating doing that as well. There is a bandon tank, an F6, a J26, J30, Agrideen and mologa in “big” scale I hear rumours of a C class 3D print too and as you say, plenty of coaches

the only thing holding me back is building the stock….and the track!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Are people out of their damn minds?

What do they be smoking?

https://www.ebay.es/itm/314176155413

€400 plus taxes and shipping for A46.

@murphaph has an A46 for sale for less than half that price!

Jaysus!

Now you know why people buy more than one of each model. One to keep, the rest to flog on for a quick buck.... That's what happened to Bachmann's NRM Prototype Deltic, and the London Underground S-stock.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, skinner75 said:

Have you seen what old Nintendo stuff goes for?!?!? (doesn't mean that they'll get it, but the rare games market is crazy)

https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=nintendo+rare&_sacat=0&_sop=16

Up until recently, the most expensive video game item was 32,000 for a sealed copy is super Mario Bros (1985). Now it’s up to 2 or 3 million. 

the main change seems to be a heavy dos of money laundering 

next they’ll be money laundering with 071’s!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

17 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Are people out of their damn minds?

What do they be smoking?

https://www.ebay.es/itm/314176155413

€400 plus taxes and shipping for A46.

@murphaph has an A46 for sale for less than half that price!

***sus!

Smoking kit-kat's perhaps? :) We live in an imperfect world, free enterprise generates the wealth that feeds and shelters all of us, but free market forces throw up the odd anomaly. Thankfully I doubt neither the seller or buyer will need to visit a food bank anytime soon. First world problems? Toy choo-choos can make even the most rational of us do strange things at times. In a moment of lust and weakness I paid what was then considered a high price of €140 for an MM 141 about 4 years ago. Two weeks later I bought another from Dave Bracken for €105 which was about the market level back then and a fair price. Win/Win buyer and seller happy. I shudder to think what my 141s might fetch now on crazybay.

• Like 2

I have less sympathy for people paying extortionate prices for Irish models now than at any time in the past. We have active RTR manufacturers of high quality stock and motive power. Yes, you need to be a little patient and you need to have your pennies saved for the releases when they come, but they do come, on a regular basis now with IRM too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I have less sympathy for people paying extortionate prices for Irish models now than at any time in the past. We have active RTR manufacturers of high quality stock and motive power. Yes, you need to be a little patient and you need to have your pennies saved for the releases when they come, but they do come, on a regular basis now with IRM too.

Exactly this - I don't have any layout, but I am still buying the IRM releases as they come out. I'd be a right eejit to not buy them when they are released, and then in X years time when I have a layout, have a whinge about crazy secondhand prices when IRM have sold out!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Same here. No layout but buying what I need for the layout I want to build. I did go a bit mad at the beginning buying duplicates to renumber, for example I have a second rake of both ferts and kegs that I will be looking to sell and replace with the new IRM ones with updated running numbers. But I learned my lesson and now I limit myself to one of each item and wait for the rerun.

• Like 1

It's not just video games or railway models, people are buying and selling Pokemon cards, designer clothes and even sports shoes, basically buying them with the intent of flipping them for a profit.. Probably the most notable one in recent years was the PS5, where you had parents desperate to get one for Christmas presents while scalpers tried to sell them for 3x what they paid for them! 

I'm not sure where the trend has come from, but social media has definitely fuelled the trend and I think some of it generational with Gen Xers preferring to be seen as "Entrepeneur" for doing this shit rather than just putting the head down and doing actual work..

As Stephen said, manufacturers can squeeze out the scalpers by producing more stock/new releases, but some brands are fully aware of what is going on an actively promote it by issuing limited editions on a monthly basis.. Want to know how crazy the world is, watch this, anyone for a packet of Oreos for $91K!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melissakravitz/2020/02/20/supreme-oreos-are-selling-for-4000-on-ebay/

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, MOGUL said:

It's not just video games or railway models, people are buying and selling Pokemon cards, designer clothes and even sports shoes, basically buying them with the intent of flipping them for a profit.. Probably the most notable one in recent years was the PS5, where you had parents desperate to get one for Christmas presents while scalpers tried to sell them for 3x what they paid for them! 

I'm not sure where the trend has come from, but social media has definitely fuelled the trend and I think some of it generational with Gen Xers preferring to be seen as "Entrepeneur" for doing this shit rather than just putting the head down and doing actual work..

As Stephen said, manufacturers can squeeze out the scalpers by producing more stock/new releases, but some brands are fully aware of what is going on an actively promote it by issuing limited editions on a monthly basis.. Want to know how crazy the world is, watch this, anyone for a packet of Oreos for $91K!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melissakravitz/2020/02/20/supreme-oreos-are-selling-for-4000-on-ebay/

digital property is the most mind boggling…..paying for non tangible items I can’t wrap my head around….shame as I’m sure we could all make some serious money if we knew! 

• Funny 1

When Seamus Graham told me years ago that way back when the MM 141/181s were first released, he had some customers who bought 4 of every single running number, I didn't believe such was possible but I certainly do now. The country was in the depths of the global financial crisis at the time. Who has that kind of money to spare, especially to take a punt on what are basically toys for the boys. What size layouts can utilise more than 15-25 locos on track? What's the point in having stuff hidden away in boxes except for future planned layouts? or ISUEOL (in storage until end of life), in perfect condition for next owner who buys for a song (executors sale). Personally for me models are to be operated and played with, yet I confess have some special items stored away too, only brought onto the layout for special occasions (eg J15, AEC 2600, etc). Its a free world. Enjoy collecting and/or playing.

Edited by Noel
type due lexdysia
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

digital property is the most mind boggling…..paying for non tangible items I can’t wrap my head around….shame as I’m sure we could all make some serious money if we knew! 

Emperor's New Clothes. You own it, but you don't own it. Smoke and mirrors. It could disappear if someone presses the wrong button.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horsetan said:

Emperor's New Clothes. You own it, but you don't own it. Smoke and mirrors. It could disappear if someone presses the wrong button.

Indeed! Give me 121s. As, J15s and 141s any day!

On 6/10/2022 at 11:02 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Not until after your 071's, please!

Are you going to do a 319 Retales variant of the 071? Might be a risky one in 1:76 but I'd definitely take a few. My 1:87 one looks like a midget.

IMG_20221007_0031512.jpg

IMG_20221007_0032153~2.jpg

What is that loco on the left?

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

What is that loco on the left?

Class 319, Subseries 2, numbers 201 to 220, known affectionately as "Retales". Retales has two meanings; "patchwork" and "scrap metal". The 319's were built using a patchwork of  071 style bits from GM, and the scrap metal / remains of the original Class 319's.

The original 319's had a single cab, about two thirds of the way along the body. Great performers but were terrible for rust, so instead of being completely scrapped, they were torn apart and rebuilt in the Subseries 2 locos.

I think that most of them were sold and exported to Argentina, but there are still a few skulking around:

• Like 3

On 8/10/2022 at 11:31 AM, jhb171achill said:

An 071 hauling easily twice what they do here…..

To be fair to our 071s, the Retales have an extra 4 cylinders, they have a 16Cyl instead of the 12 in the 071s..

Also, although our liners are short, they tend to be heavy as they move a lot of liquid in tanks.. More conventional container traffic like above, even though a longer train would likely weight less..

• Like 2
  • Informative 2