KQA pocket container wagons

Rate this question

Riversuir226

Question

I m currently working on drawings for the pocket wagons i ve over the bogies and the main frames done and dusted.

Am i right in thinking the pockets will take a 45ft container unlike the UK versions which are 40ft's.(hope so as i ve drawn them to take 45 footers).

Has anybody got detailed pics of the wagon or know were to get them on line?

19 answers to this question

Just a thought, everything in those photos is for scrap except the two CPWs. The Mk3s, 2700s, 8200s, the 141, the orange 201s are being or have been stripped for parts.

Didn't know the CPWs had screw couplers, thought they had the horse shoe links like the rest of freight stock. Any time I have seen them head down Alexandra Road there is alot of slack between the buffers.

Has anyone tried lengthening the Dapol KQA model to accept 45' containers? Is it even possible and it be done without compromising the integrity of the model? Any thoughts welcome...

Tom

Was thinking along the same lines, there is a few differences between the two, other than the length there quite different around the bufferbeam/ ends as well.

I haven t ever held a dapol one in the flesh but i d imagine some part of the chassis is metal for weight so it might lead to complicatioins during the conversion/lengthing

I scratchbuilt the irish version a few years ago, and there are considerable differences between the two. I got the drawings from the manufacturer here - http://www.kockumsindustrier.se/en-us/our-products/productdetail/?categoryid=3&productid=15 and re-drew it to suit. I got the plan view of the openings from a google earth shot at inchicore, and cobbled it together to make the irish one. The brake gear is completely different, as is the slope at the end, and the internal slope of facing the wagon doors, but if you're not a stickler for that level of accuracy it would pass muster painted up in grey & muck freight livery :o.

DSCF0880.jpg

Doing a Cut n' Shut on it would be tricky just looking at how the Dapol one is formed. There needs to be two extra openings at either end of the base, which would mean four cuts across the body, and the only way to get structural integrity back in it would be to put a styrene or brass C channels running the length of the wagon on either side. The Dapol ones are smaller than the irish ones, so it could be blended in handy enough. I can't give out my drawings for commercial reasons, but with the drawings from the manufacturer above and a slap of photos I hope it's of help. Many of the photos are mine, but some are from the lads here.

vlcsnap-2010-05-12-17h12m08s143.png

vlcsnap-2010-05-12-16h36m03s61.png

P1090107.jpg

P1090092.jpg

Nw-NESK_liner_at_Kildare_on_180305_b.jpg

notsure.jpg

intermodal_container.jpg

HPIM1423.jpg

HPIM1421.jpg

HPIM1418.jpg

HPIM1417.jpg

DSCN3872.jpg

DSCN3871.jpg

DSCN3870.jpg

I haven t ever held a dapol one in the flesh but i d imagine some part of the chassis is metal for weight so it might lead to complicatioins during the conversion/lengthing

The Dapol's are all plastic so it should be a straight forward cut and shut with a little time and effort. As for the truss floor should also be able to be reworked to look like the Irish version and if not put some containers in it and you won't see it.

The Dapol's are all plastic so it should be a straight forward cut and shut with a little time and effort. As for the truss floor should also be able to be reworked to look like the Irish version and if not put some containers in it and you won't see it.

Interesting food for tought there. Might have to get the saw out again soon :cool: Thanks for posting the info and the detailed photos guys. Cheers, Tom.

Had a quick look at the Dapol Pocket Wagon. While this wagon has plastic sides the base is constructed of lattice work plastic which is covering a metal sub frame.

The need to have strength over such a long wheelbase is obvious and the danger of cutting the wagon in the middle and adding an “extra piece” could weaken the construction fatality.

This had made me shy away from tackling this modification unless someone can come up with a workable solution.

Guest hidden-agenda

Why not think about strengthening underneath with rails ( remember that conversation about the timber wagons) as you could cut the body in to three pieces then mount on the rails and glue to hold then fill in the gaps with plasticard pre shaped and a bit of filler and tender sanding to finish. A bit like adjusting a wedding dress with a chainsaw but i think it could work. I intend making my own version from scratch but if i had a dapol to hand i would certainly hack it up to see what way it looked.

13 minutes ago, PJR said:

Anyone got information regarding the colour of Irish Pocket Wagon. Its hard to judge by pictures

Light grey with black buffers and black bogies. The background to the vehicle number is a black strip, and there are yellow lines for visibility just above the bogies on  the main frame.

In traffic, a liberal coat of weathered brake dust!

• Informative 1

Hi lads,

With the pocket wagons now making a return and being refurbished, would anyone have any information on these particular wagons? When they were built/introduced, withdrawn and so on. I saw 086 with pocket wagons this morning, to which they're being transferred to Limerick to be refurbished as far as I know, with a few past that process already. Are these wagons being brought straight back into services, or are they returning on a later date?

Edited by 228RiverOwenboy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, 228RiverOwenboy said:

Hi lads,

With the pocket wagons now making a return and being refurbished, would anyone have any information on these particular wagons? When they were built/introduced, withdrawn and so on. I saw 086 with pocket wagons this morning, to which they're being transferred to Limerick to be refurbished as far as I know, with a few past that process already. Are these wagons being brought straight back into services, or are they returning on a later date?

24 wagons were built -36001-36024 Introduced to traffic in 2001, mainly used on Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Limerick container trains, they were restricted these route due to them being prohibited from operating over mechanically signalled points for some strange reason  

They were subsequently stored when both Cork and Limerick container depots closed in 2005,

12 wagons are the maximum in a set and are air braked with a through Vacuum pipe also fitted  

14 were returned to traffic in 2010 when DFDS commenced operating from Waterford to Ballina with the remainder stored at Limerick,North wall and two at Inchicore,

For a short period of time they operated with the standard LX bogie wagons, two wagons were marshalled next to the locomotive for IWT  

They are to be returned to traffic to enable extra container trains operate between Ballina and Waterford for XPO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 3

20 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

24 wagons were built -36001-36024 Introduced to traffic in 2001, mainly used on Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Limerick container trains, they were restricted these route due to them being prohibited from operating over mechanically signalled points for some strange reason  

There was a risk of derailment with facing point 'locking (lifting) bars" with mechanical points moving under these wagons because the distance between bogie centers was longer than existing stock/locking bars.  https://85a.uk/templot/archive/topics/topic_721.php  

The wagons were originally restricted to run between Dublin and Mallow with containers transhipped by road between Mallow and Cork. Its likely IE fitted longer locking bars bars to points at existing interlockings to clear the route into Cork as pockets wagons operated through to North Esk (Cork) before IE ceased running container trains in July 2005.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1