MRSI Exhibition

Rate this topic

Kirley

Well went to my first model railway exhibition in 20 years today. Enjoyed it very much. Many great exhibits. The venue was perhaps a bit tight for space, you couldn't swing a mouse let alone a cat by about 12pm. Some fabulous layouts. Met a few forumites too - Hello! :) Picked up a few bits and pieces, some books, DVDs and a nice IE EGV which is the main reason I went, but no other rolling stock as most show prices were above internet pricing. Highlight was having a brief chat with Mr Paddy Murphy, and getting the chance to thank him in person for the quality of his products and their impact on our hobby.

Nearly bought a pair of Silver Fox A class, but decided against in the end as the samples at the show didn't have all wheel pickups and had traction tyres common on older Hornby chassis (i.e. pickups on opposite sides of opposing bogies in the old style). I will investigate what higher quality chassis these can be married to or bought with as RTR models. For that kind of money one expects really good runners that can crawl over peco points much like the stunning MM GMs, a classy looking scale replica also needs to be a superb scale runner.

Liked the look of the green and grey Irish Rail intercity 201 locos, IMHO the best looking 201s in real life and in model form. Tempted to buy one at the show, but got a much better deal from an Irish retailer who was not at the show. Might pop in again on Monday. Anyway really enjoyed it, well done to organisers, and I am amazed how the hobby has advanced here in the past 20 years. Happy days.

clap4.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally you can pop a Class 55 chassis under the Silverfox A... a Hornby Class 52 is also listed,.... wonder would the new Dapol offering work too?

From the Dapol spec, I like the sound of

5 pole Super Creep Motor for controlled pulling power and fine slow speed running

Directional light with internal cab light

DCC ready with provision for a PluX 21 pin decoder

Anyone tried a conversion?

Edited by BosKonay

A good day, enjoyed listening to Paddy Murphy and his battles to stay ahead of the 'rivet counters', North Down had their first outing of "Cookstown", still under construction. The biggest crowd was at Jim Poots Buses, there was a queue to get to his Stand. Also to meet again some of the Site Members but I'm sure there were other Members there I did not know.

A good day, enjoyed listening to Paddy Murphy and his battles to stay ahead of the 'rivet counters', North Down had their first outing of "Cookstown", still under construction. The biggest crowd was at Jim Poots Buses, there was a queue to get to his Stand. Also to meet again some of the Site Members but I'm sure there were other Members there I did not know.

Rivet Counters?? :confused: What's Paddy's take on things at the moment? :D

What's Paddy's take on things at the moment? :D

From our brief chat with him, much the same as already posted here recently by others. New batch of mk2d coaches in CIE 'Supertrain' livery (ie orange and black, no white lining) due approx December or January with complete set of coaches to make up typical eight coach set including EGV, restaurant car, first class car, etc. 121 is on the 'radar' but it is very early stages yet. It was a pleasure to chat with the gentleman.

From our brief chat with him, much the same as already posted here recently by others. New batch of mk2d coaches in CIE 'Supertrain' livery (ie orange and black, no white lining) due approx December or January with complete set of coaches to make up typical eight coach set including EGV, restaurant car, first class car, etc. 121 is on the 'radar' but it is very early stages yet. It was a pleasure to chat with the gentleman.

But no discussion of an A class or anything to follow the 121? We have all got so used to the MM models that I wonder who would pick the baton if anything happened to PM. Even though Bachmann did many of the earlier models for him, its not like they decided there was a market for modeling Irish outline after that…..

The trouble was is and will be the scale of the market. 500 locos of a livery ( sometimes half that) sell 'just about right' here while the big lads in the UK will run thousands of a single run and sell them too.

BK, I understand that economies of working with a limited audience and agree with you. Despite their initial foray into Irish outline with PM they did not do a 500 limited run at least while PM is 'competing' for this small market. Hence my original concern, with only one real RTR producer, Irish outline rtr would be plunged back into the medieval ages :praying:(and no offence is intended to some on here who produce some very fine kits and those who model them)

It's far to early to be talking about the demise of rtr or MM. Who's to say that PM won't pass on the business to family to continue the company. Or someone else might take on the business. PM has established the company and it seems in a healthy condition when you think that models have been released annually over the last 7 years. The business seems to have done well in the economic uncertainty we have experienced in that time.

The bar can be raised again (it always can) and there is faith in the products as they are. I'd be confident that we will see more in the future whether PM is at the helm or not. Getting back on topic, get the pics up Stephen.

Rich,

FYI, be aware of the Dublin city marathon route today if crossing city to get to the exhibition. Out of towners may prefer M50 route around city. Or east link bridge if off the merrion road before Vincent's hospital.

Edited by Noel

I was over in Dublin for the weekend just gone and went to the MRSI exhibition in Raheny and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a wide range of layouts, demo and trade stands, but most of all there were a lot of people and a great atmosphere! There is a temptation to compare it to shows over in the UK (I live in Yorkshire) and the main difference was that the Dublin show was not just about railways, but also about modelling in general and the prototype. For example there were stands devoted to scenics, car and bus modelling and there was the Irish Railway Record Society (of which I am a member) stand. But the most important thing was the turnout which looked to be very good and must point to a healthy and developing hobby in Ireland. Particular favourites were Stanfording, a 7mm layout from Northern Ireland and the Studio Scale Models and Murphy Models stands. But I enjoyed it all.

Just back from the show, and enjoyable as always! I was on a tight time frame so hit the traders I needed to see and had a quick look round- some great layouts. I agree with Paul Greenes comments above- comparing and contrasting to a UK show is probably not fair. As a Modeller I would of course like to see more layouts, but I went specifically today to source items, and there were a great selection of traders represented for what is a small market. What I most took heart from is the large number of families and children that attend every year, and unlike when I was a child pestering my old man for a model railway, it's now easier than ever to get into the hobby, with an Irish flavour from day one. This can only be a good thing for the future!

Well done to all involved!