Ballykay

Rate this topic

The weathering shows up how crap the silver fox body really is

Showing the usual degree of tact, I see..

I actually think the weathering improves the look of the body shell, and I feel that, as far as I can ascertain from the video and photos, this model is one of the best looking SF Sulzers yet

Edited by UP6936

Stephen I dumped the standard Silverfox chassis in favor of some American muscel. I hand built a chassis from plastic card and fitted it with Proto 2000 motor running gear and bogies.

The good old SD9 chassis have served me well in my early days of modelling aussie prototype. Glad to hear its universal :)

Great idea building a chassis out of plastic card. Was it overly hard? I only ask as have a couple of locos that need frames and was leaning towards brass scratch built but always feel stronger in my abilities with plastics.

• 2 weeks later...
Well spotted Boss I dumped the factory coupling and made up my own spring loaded version. Now I have got the prototype right I plan to convert the rest of my steamers.

Tell us more?! It 'makes' it (that and the awesome weathering as always!!)

• 1 month later...

It is indeed, Heirflick. I have an actual sample in my possession. The model shows the dirt associated with use very convincingly too - important to note the unusual feature (for Britain and Ireland anyway) of grey (ie body colour) on motion, wheels, smokebox and chimney too.

My elderly relative also confirms accuracy. In use, the grey tended to darken slightly with "cleaning" with oily rags, thus a very slightly darker shade would leo be acceptable, but that model is extremely well done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...