Irish Railway Models Launch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Wow, really?

I was expecting around the time of the Raheny October show at the earliest. Can't wait:trains:

Yep, that's the plan. :) Customers who selected the 'exhibition pick-up' delivery option will be able to collect their orders at Raheny. Anyone who selected postal/courier delivery will be getting theirs as soon as possible after we receive the shipment.

Edited by Garfield

Hi Noel,

The tooling is ready to go but we can't confirm an exact date until we've received and approved the pre-production samples (we've just been told the factory should be turning-out the first one within the next two weeks). Depending on how these samples turn out, modifications may be required. If this is the case then obviously that would add some more time to the process. Once that phase is completed, we'll be given a slot in the factory's production schedule. Unfortunately we can't be any more specific than that right now; it's a case of 'wait and see' while the factory does its stuff. Nevertheless we're approaching the end line and customers should have wagons running on their layouts by the end of the summer.

Great Stuff

One question could you give us an update on when summer begins in Ireland!!!

;)

Hi Noel,

The tooling is ready to go but we can't confirm an exact date until we've received and approved the pre-production samples (we've just been told the factory should be turning-out the first one within the next two weeks). Depending on how these samples turn out, modifications may be required. If this is the case then obviously that would add some more time to the process. Once that phase is completed, we'll be given a slot in the factory's production schedule. Unfortunately we can't be any more specific than that right now; it's a case of 'wait and see' while the factory does its stuff. Nevertheless we're approaching the end line and customers should have wagons running on their layouts by the end of the summer.

Thanks Patrick.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like there's a rerun of the ballasts with a selection of running numbers!

And a slight price increase....to be expected these days I guess.

http://irishrailwaymodels.com/index.php/shop/

Hi Jimbo,

The adjusted pricing reflects the fact that VAT is now included in the cost (so the price is actually €97.52 plus VAT at 23%

Customers buying from outside the EU will pay just the 97.52 (so it's actually a price reduction from IRM's point of view :( )

Hi Jimbo' date=' The adjusted pricing reflects the fact that VAT is now included in the cost (so the price is actually €97.52 plus VAT at 23% Customers buying from outside the EU will pay just the 97.52 (so it's actually a price reduction from IRM's point of view :( )[/quote']

Wasn't meant as criticism, but thank you for the explanation!

What are postage rates for Non-EU as the website doesn't show?

Glad to see you have the market to make it worthwhile to do a rerun. How many packs are being issued this time?

Cheers.

For customers with existing orders, what packs will they get? All the same or will they be picked at random?

If you have already ordered multiples of Pack 1 at the launch rate, and want to spread the love across the other packs, just contact us by email and we can adjust your order to your preference, otherwise we'll ship multiples of Pack 1 as ordered.

Wasn't meant as criticism, but thank you for the explanation!

What are postage rates for Non-EU as the website doesn't show?

Glad to see you have the market to make it worthwhile to do a rerun. How many packs are being issued this time?

Cheers.

We'll have to quote non EU postage on a 'per order' basis I'm afraid, so do contact us if you need details.

We're running the 333 packs of Pack 1, as per launch (a small number are re-available, hence for sale on the site - but as of typing, we've just 6 packs in stock.

We're then running 250 each of Pack 2 and Pack 3, you can see full running number details on the site.

A small Gypsum run is not out of the question at a later date, so if that's of interest, do feel free to drop us a note to register interest!

Thanks so much for all the support to date - it enables us to push forward on more exciting projects - we'll make some announcements soon also regarding the much anticipated Cement Bubbles!

Thanks for clearing up, just ordered some of 1, 2 and 3 to keep me covered.

I;m assuming you will be doing the same for the bubbles closer to the time.

Thanks for your support Railer!!

We hope to be able to announce the Bubble packs, details, specs and running numbers on the site very soon.

If folks who have already ordered multiple original pack 1s at the launch price of €110 per pack inc Vat, wish to change some of their packs to 2 and 3 will they be charged a cost differential (ie. new price is slightly higher than launch price)?

If folks who have already ordered multiple original pack 1s at the launch price of €110 per pack inc Vat' date=' wish to change some of their packs to 2 and 3 will they be charged a cost differential (ie. new price is slightly higher than launch price)?[/quote']

Hi Noel,

In that instance the original price of €110 per pack will be honoured.

Hi Noel,

In that instance the original price of €110 per pack will be honoured.

Thanks Fran. Very positive news to see there is strong enough demand for significant additional production runs. Well done guys. What sort of timescale do you anticipate for delivery of the additional packs 2 and 3 (i.e. compared with the original run pack 1)?

• 1 month later...
Hi Patrick,

We're more likely to do a run in gypsum and dolomite guises in the future than undecorated packs.

When you say dolomite guise, do you mean basically the same wagon, without the large stenciled numbers and lettering, or would there be any other alterations?

When you say dolomite guise, do you mean basically the same wagon, without the large stenciled numbers and lettering, or would there be any other alterations?

The tooling costs are simply too high to justify any alternative hopper, be that magnesite or any other variant. The minimum run is 1000 units to start with, so I have been researching ways of getting alternative hoppers produced in either resin and/or brass for all variants to be produced at low cost. I've asked China about the possibility of getting unassembled and undercorated parts, effectively the sprues in a bag, ala Dapol Prestwin kits, but I've had no response as yet.

I have already ordered the ballast hoppers but would gladly wait for dolomite hoppers instead if they will be produced.

I'm in the same boat here, Patrick. I would have actually preferred the gypsum/dolomites. That said, I purchased as many of the ballasts as I could to try to ensure that this project did not fail at the first hurdle

The tooling costs are simply too high to justify any alternative hopper, be that magnesite or any other variant. The minimum run is 1000 units to start with, so I have been researching ways of getting alternative hoppers produced in either resin and/or brass for all variants to be produced at low cost. I've asked China about the possibility of getting unassembled and undercorated parts, effectively the sprues in a bag, ala Dapol Prestwin kits, but I've had no response as yet.

I always thought the magnesites were interesting due to the peculiar shape and I would be interested in those also, although something completely different (like the bubbles will be) would be good to add variety to the shape

Edited by DiveController

It was the gypsums for me too for my attempt at Kingscourt but I decided I wouldn't mind the ballast markings, being not the most precise modeller anyways. Perhaps as budget allows I may convert some or order them in that guise if they come available.

The Gypsum wagons are identical (for the most part) to the ballast wagons. The hopper has all welded seams as opposed to curved sides, paint the discharge wheels brown oxide and it's all good. I've no doubt that your local friendly decal supplier will produce the decals to suit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24683&stc=1

Also, I'll be providing the paint to China to avoid colour misrepresentations and so on, and my hope is to use an "off the shelf" paint, so that anyone can paint further bits and pieces to keep rakes uniform. That's the plan anyway.

Personally, the magnesites do it for me, but then again I'm kinda sick of the ballast wagon by now. My intention is that once the EP samples of the wagons arrive, I'll strip the wagon down, get out the calipers and make a start on a prototype for a brass hopper with the walkways and ladders too, ideally to be manufactured for when the main delivery arrives. I'm assuming there wouldn't be any more demand than 50 hoppers, so expressions of interest to any one of our IRM email addresses would be useful.

26783.jpg

• Like 1

From memory, and subsequent photos, the dolomite wagons had no large numbers or lettering stenciled on the sides, so I'm hoping removing the print from the models along with some weathering will be all that's needed..... Unless anyone knows different about numbers or letters they may have carried?

Decals will be Tampo printed, so can be removed using existing techniques (can't remember off hand, but deluxe materials make a superb stripping fluid).

The dolomite wagons were near identical to the original ballast wagons in that the decals/brake test codes etc. were all along the solebar, not on the hopper. The only difference in the 26XXX (older chassis design) series to our 24XXX (newer chassis design) series is the open type of W-irons and the flat grease type axle boxes. Garfield would be upset if I didn't point out the axle box difference :P This can be emulated by filing down the ones on our model.

Before and After for reference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24684&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=24685&stc=1

Hope that helps, R.

(Thx to Wrenn for the first photo)

26633 (6).jpg

26633 a(5).jpg