Irish Railway Models Launch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Hi,this newbie will answer this for you.

The bottom of the hopper is indeed asymmetrical, and this fact surprised me when I did the measurements and photo survey. It took a little time to get my head round it to be honest.

There is only 1 door per half of the hopper, opened very cleverly by the hand wheel adjacent.

Turning this operated a screw link that operates a pivot that operates another pivot that 'cracks open' the hopper door. It is hinged from the outer edge of the door, opening close to the offset centre line.

I've had fun doing this wagon and apart from 1 or 2 un mouldable features it's pretty close to the real thing. It's very enigmatic, that's for sure.

Cheers

Dave

Dave welcome to the group. I have watched your work with your previous employer and wish you every success with your own company. I am delighted that you are on board with this project. Your willingness to interact with your customers brought a real breath of fresh air into the hobby and it shows you care.

Rich,

Phew, I can rest easy now. I wasn't trying to put the model down, but that error just jumped out & hit the 'eye', the down side to being a draughtsman I guess.

Cheers, Mike C

Mike I know you from this and previous incarnations and I know that you care strongly about the little details that really set a great model apart from a good model. I share these views also. I can guarantee that the folks involved with this project will deliver a top model and set new standards. Each of the lads involved are also hobbyist's and will put into this what they would do in their professional lives.

Rich,

The CAD images look very impressive. It's pretty instructive having the various parts picked out in different colors for those not used to looking at the mechanical aspect of the wagons. I think I finally understand some basic things like how the manual and vacuum braking systems actually work, the vacuum pipe diverting round one side of the wagon etc. This probably seems pretty basic and intuitive to modelers more familiar with rolling stock having had opportunity to be closer to the wagons due to career, or longevity as railway enthusiasts etc. Of course it's hard to find a shot of the prototype from this angle.

I'm not sure if the discharge doors underneath open symmetrically on both sides or there are doors on only one side only? Still working out where these are hinged etc?

Looking forward to these even more now:-bd

It's nice to see someone taking a real interest in the operating side of the wagons. These details do matter to lot's of people and it's nice to see another modeller getting hooked. Top marks Dive, no homework tonight.

Rich,

Cheers Rich, we appreciate all the feedback and interaction. On a side note, there is an interesting development for the 21mm'ers. The wagon as you know is designed to prototype so it means the leaf springs and axle box are out to their original locations. We haven't squashed them in to suit underscale track.

There is a little collar, about 2mm deep, like a piece of a cotton bud shank just outside the bearing itself. Removing this from either axle box will allow clearance for a 21mm wheelset, which should pop into the bearing behind. No need for top hat or brass bearings :)

Richie.

I had a good feeling that would be the case Richie. Fair play for including all prospective customers, I appreciate it, but wouldn't expect anything less from yourselves.

Rich,

Hi,this newbie will answer this for you.

The bottom of the hopper is indeed asymmetrical, and this fact surprised me when I did the measurements and photo survey. It took a little time to get my head round it to be honest.

There is only 1 door per half of the hopper, opened very cleverly by the hand wheel adjacent.

Turning this operated a screw link that operates a pivot that operates another pivot that 'cracks open' the hopper door. It is hinged from the outer edge of the door, opening close to the offset centre line.

I've had fun doing this wagon and apart from 1 or 2 un mouldable features it's pretty close to the real thing. It's very enigmatic, that's for sure.

Cheers

Dave

Newbie indeed. Hi Dave, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Thanks for that description, makes perfect sense now.

It's nice to see someone taking a real interest in the operating side of the wagons. These details do matter to lot's of people and it's nice to see another modeller getting hooked. Top marks Dive, no homework tonight.

Rich,

Many thanks, Rich. Comment appreciated :D

v nice drawing. If I can get the sheckles together I will get one more set I think.

I'd get the deposit down on it, Rich, the shekels have a way of turning up on time for delivery. I ordered another rake for gypsums. Oh, boy!:o

Edited by DiveController

Thanks for the suport guys, am doing a tally this morning but we're rapidly approaching single digits of packs remaining...

So.... when are you starting to take orders for the bubbles:-bd

Have to say, that has to be some vote of confidence for a product to sell out that no one has actually laid eyes on the finished article. Although the latest CAD drawings do look great. I'd buy a few more sets myself but I'm waiting for the bank to issue a replacement credit card, hope it gets to me in time. Of all the times for it to go missing.:((

Thanks for the suport guys, am doing a tally this morning but we're rapidly approaching single digits of packs remaining...

F this is the case would it not make sense to increase the production quantities. Surely it would be useful to have some extra

I presume since the tooling will be paid off , you could rerun at a later stage , potentially even at a slightly lower cost

Dave

F this is the case would it not make sense to increase the production quantities. Surely it would be useful to have some extra

I presume since the tooling will be paid off , you could rerun at a later stage , potentially even at a slightly lower cost

Dave

There will be another run if demand is there. Looking at things I'd say it's sure thing. I don't think they ever dreamed of selling out before production even started.

Dave

Some of the packs will have been purchased for sale on the secondary market so I am sure they will become available at some point. Additional personal requirements may be satisfied in this fashion, so we'll see about a re-run. With demand this high it would have been nice to have the wagons in a slightly different finish like the gypsums. Easy enough to fix, I guess.

Since everything has sold pre-production there will be no need to have these in the model shops as potentially contemplated earlier in the thread. The chassis (as I understand it) is common to several of the freights so by undoing those two screws on the underside another body could be mounted on top. Potentially this should make production of anything else mounted on the same chassis cheaper due to reduced tooling costs. We shall know in time, no doubt.

Edited by DiveController

From reviewing the order books, I really don't foresee anyone purchasing any for the secondary market. Most are going for the 3 pack option, so don't expect fleabay to be selling them singly. Doing a second run is easy enough provided there is demand, but take it easy on the speculation folks.

The chassis (as I understand it) is common to several of the freights so by undoing those two screws on the underside another body could be mounted on top. Potentially this should make production of anything else mounted on the same chassis cheaper due to reduced tooling costs. We shall know in time, no doubt.

That is why it took so long to get it right. We had to do the CAD work for both wagons at the same time so that we know that the bubble will fit perfectly into the ballast chassis.

Went to buy some and it says out of stock! Sorry I missed these but delighted for the lads they sold so well! Good job fellas!

CIE/IR/IE two-axle ballast wagon multi-pack

€110.00

A three-wagon pack of the iconic two-axle ballast/mineral wagon.

Features:

NEM coupling housing

RP25.110 darkened profile wheel sets with 14.4mm back to backs, and 26mm over pin points

Etched steel factory fitted parts

Extra fine factory fitted detail plastic parts

DJModels ‘Quick Load’ ballast load

Individual lettering from real wagons for authenticity

Out of stock:facepalm:

Went to buy some and it says out of stock! Sorry I missed these but delighted for the lads they sold so well! Good job fellas!

Hi Jimbo, there's currently a small glitch on the website we're working on at the moment. We havent quite sold out yet you'll be glad to hear! We'll have it resolved later this morning but you'll have to be quick on the draw as we only have a few left!