Irish Railway Models Launch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Hopefully this will help to move the progress indicator along on the IR models site. It seems to be stuck on 40%, but I'm sure it was already there before the SDMRC show where a LOT of orders were taken as I understand it. Good luck :tumbsup:

As I may have said earlier, I believe that the Progress Indicator is illustrating the progress of the project towards fruition, rather than the amount of sales/pre-orders.

There seems to be a massive growth in the Irish market in the past month or two... Irish railway models... Des releasing commonwealth bogies and the rerun of the sulzer...the laminate..Dawson hall Irish range.the golden age of Irish modelling is here lads..but it has just begun..

Sounds very promising. Presume pre-order folks will get a status update sometime during Q1 2016.

Final CAD is imminent, and we'll post news updates here and on the website as things progress.

Once we have samples in hand, we plan to do a run of events / shows to let people have a poke :)

The mags did help things along, and we're just around the 50% of the run sold at this point. We'd certainly expect to sell out in advance of any hitting these shores at this point, which is great news, and highly appreciated!

On the subject of the three-wagon multipack, I'm sure there are economic reasons for doing it in threes, but it will risk putting off potential buyers who might only want one or two wagons, and who might balk at shelling out over 100 Euro just in order to have the one. It also potentially creates a profiteers' market on eBay. If profit is to be made (and there is little of that in railway modelling generally), it should be made by IRM, not eBay sellers.

There seems to be a massive growth in the Irish market in the past month or two... Irish railway models... Des releasing commonwealth bogies and the rerun of the sulzer...the laminate..Dawson hall Irish range.the golden age of Irish modelling is here lads..but it has just begun..

It's massive growth, because it starts from a fairly low base. Any growth in Irish railway model availability is to be encouraged, but we should all make sure it's not a false dawn.

I'd hesitate to call it a Golden Age, though. That sounds like hyperbole. A few extra swallows don't make a summer.

Edited by Horsetan

In fairness the 3 wagon pack approach seems to be well proven and successful with consumers in the market for some years, with Bachmann supplying many wagons in 3-paks. It seems unlikely that a single ballast wagon would have been hitched to a train. It also reduces cost to the consumer by reduced packaging costs per wagon, and more efficient to box and pack larger boxes at end of line.

You are right about it being a 'golden age' for the hobby here. Hopefully we are NOT in the final flourish of a sunset industry (i.e. due age profile active in the hobby).

On the subject of the three-wagon multipack, I'm sure there are economic reasons for doing it in threes, but it will risk putting off potential buyers who might only want one or two wagons, and who might balk at shelling out over 100 Euro just in order to have the one. It also potentially creates a profiteers' market on eBay. If profit is to be made (and there is little of that in railway modelling generally), it should be made by IRM, not eBay sellers.

It's massive growth, because it starts from a fairly low base. Any growth in Irish railway model availability is to be encouraged, but we should all make sure it's not a false dawn.

I'd hesitate to call it a Golden Age, though. That sounds like hyperbole. A few extra swallows don't make a summer.

What makes me laugh is you never know it's a "Golden Age" of ANYTHING until after it has finished!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the update. Ordered a rake, look forward to receiving it some time next year.

Cheers, Noel. Just a few minor adjustments needed to the CAD before we sign off on it; the amended version should be arriving in the inbox very soon. After that we move onto tooling and we'll hopefully have a pre-production sample early in the new year.

Are the wagons in those two photos an early prototype of the ballast wagon, as the design is different to the later wagons?

The wagons in the photo are the dolomite ore wagons, used on the Ballinacourty traffic. The wagon in the second photo started life as a magnesite wagon, and was converted, which explains the unusual looking sides. Most of the other wagons in the rake would have been built as dolomite ore wagons, and are very similar to the standard ballast wagons..

Edited by aclass007