Irish Railway Models Launch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

I had the pleasure and privilege of travelling on this line and the these trains. It certainly had its moments. I remember we passed a quarry like structure! The operators, there, would appear to have been somewhat lax in their respect of the railway and its traffic. There were large yellow painted earth moving vehicles passing across the railway track on both our outward and inward journeys. My driver needed to apply brakes and sound the warning device (pull the horn) repeatedly in out double headed 141/181 formation.

I had the pleasure and privilege of travelling on this line and the these trains. It certainly had its moments. I remember we passed a quarry like structure! The operators, there, would appear to have been somewhat lax in their respect of the railway and its traffic. There were large yellow painted earth moving vehicles passing across the railway track on both our outward and inward journeys. My driver needed to apply brakes and sound the warning device (pull the horn) repeatedly in out double headed 141/181 formation.

Indeed , that was Queallys Quarries. On one of the trains , we loaded ballast on the return journey , the hoppers were filled by one of those big yellow loaders as the train driver moved the train along as it filled. On that occasion I was dropped off at old the kilmeadan platform

The quarrying had begun after the railway initially closed and had grown to both lines of the line , given the few trains a day and there slow speed , I suspect things were quite lax , there was always significant walkers , fishermen etc on that line especially where it parallel the shore of the Suir The drivers were always leaning on the horn around there.

There was always a tremendous view of the train as it burst from the area locally known as the " mossy woods" on a steep curve as it swept along the Congreve estate on one side and the river immediately on its other. The "S" bend in the woods had two flange lubricators as it was tight, and the woods masked the sound of the doubleheaded 141s. Then they burst out , to the consternation of kids, fishermen etc.

Safety was a different concept in the 70 s !

I only rareLy remember 121s pulling that train. A class was more common on the magnesite and oil trains. But the magnesite trains were far less common then the dolomite, especially as time went on.

Edited by Junctionmad

• 4 weeks later...

First post!

I have been lurking on this site since the start but never bothered to join as up until now I have only been an armchair modeller of the Irish scene.

My plan is to model the late 70's early 80's (supertrain era).

That's what's so exciting about this model and the cement bubble to follow.

The same basic 20' underframe was used on practically every four wheel wagon built by CIE from the mid 60's on.

The main exception being the 22'9 container flat which was built to carry 8'6" high containers.

Are there any plans to sell the underframe on its own?

First post! I have been lurking on this site since the start but never bothered to join as up until now I have only been an armchair modeller of the Irish scene. My plan is to model the late 70's early 80's (supertrain era). That's what's so exciting about this model and the cement bubble to follow. The same basic 20' underframe was used on practically every four wheel wagon built by CIE from the mid 60's on. The main exception being the 22'9 container flat which was built to carry 8'6" high containers. Are there any plans to sell the underframe on its own?

Hi Mfjoc and welcome! We have no plans to offer the under frame on its own. However we do plan to maximise its potential in years to come. It is the most viable way of offering a RTR wagon to the Irish Market.

Hi Iarnrod,

For those on the installment option, the second payment is 2 months after your order, the final payment two months again after that.

The website will send you a bill at each junction, and then a full invoice / receipt on complete payment!

Many thanks for your support!

Hi folks,

This evening Irish Railway Models signed off on the finalised CAD design for the ballast wagon and the order has been given to the factory to "cut metal" on the tooling. All going well, we should have a production slot assigned to us by the time the plant closes for Chinese New Year (February 8th). We'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile, there are now less than 50 sets still available to purchase through our website, so now really is the time to purchase your models if you have not already done so.

Thanks for reading! :)

152exys.jpg

v6ruqw.jpg

6924y8.jpg

vrgcas.jpg

Payed my interim installment a few weeks ago and having seen these pics It's getting more exciting. Thanks for the pics Pat and to all concerned with the project for keeping us involved and updated. It shows a lot of respect to the rest of us and we appreciate it. I reckon the last few sets will be gone soon after this update. It's going to be a cracking model.

Rich,

Payed my interim installment a few weeks ago and having seen these pics It's getting more exciting. Thanks for the pics Pat and to all concerned with the project for keeping us involved and updated. It shows a lot of respect to the rest of us and we appreciate it. I reckon the last few sets will be gone soon after this update. It's going to be a cracking model.

Rich,

Cheers Rich, we appreciate all the feedback and interaction. On a side note, there is an interesting development for the 21mm'ers. The wagon as you know is designed to prototype so it means the leaf springs and axle box are out to their original locations. We haven't squashed them in to suit underscale track.

There is a little collar, about 2mm deep, like a piece of a cotton bud shank just outside the bearing itself. Removing this from either axle box will allow clearance for a 21mm wheelset, which should pop into the bearing behind. No need for top hat or brass bearings :)

Richie.

Hi folks,

This evening Irish Railway Models signed off on the finalised CAD design for the ballast wagon and the order has been given to the factory to "cut metal" on the tooling.

6924y8.jpg

The CAD images look very impressive. It's pretty instructive having the various parts picked out in different colors for those not used to looking at the mechanical aspect of the wagons. I think I finally understand some basic things like how the manual and vacuum braking systems actually work, the vacuum pipe diverting round one side of the wagon etc. This probably seems pretty basic and intuitive to modelers more familiar with rolling stock having had opportunity to be closer to the wagons due to career, or longevity as railway enthusiasts etc. Of course it's hard to find a shot of the prototype from this angle.

I'm not sure if the discharge doors underneath open symmetrically on both sides or there are doors on only one side only? Still working out where these are hinged etc?

Looking forward to these even more now:-bd

P

Cheers Rich, we appreciate all the feedback and interaction. On a side note, there is an interesting development for the 21mm'ers. The wagon as you know is designed to prototype so it means the leaf springs and axle box are out to their original locations. We haven't squashed them in to suit underscale track.

There is a little collar, about 2mm deep, like a piece of a cotton bud shank just outside the bearing itself. Removing this from either axle box will allow clearance for a 21mm wheelset, which should pop into the bearing behind. No need for top hat or brass bearings :)

Richie.

What gauge wheels are shown on the cad drawings posted above?

The CAD images look very impressive. It's pretty instructive having the various parts picked out in different colors for those not used to looking at the mechanical aspect of the wagons. I think I finally understand some basic things like how the manual and vacuum braking systems actually work, the vacuum pipe diverting round one side of the wagon etc. This probably seems pretty basic and intuitive to modelers more familiar with rolling stock having had opportunity to be closer to the wagons due to career, or longevity as railway enthusiasts etc. Of course it's hard to find a shot of the prototype from this angle.

I'm not sure if the discharge doors underneath open symmetrically on both sides or there are doors on only one side only? Still working out where these are hinged etc?

Looking forward to these even more now:-bd

Hi,this newbie will answer this for you.

The bottom of the hopper is indeed asymmetrical, and this fact surprised me when I did the measurements and photo survey. It took a little time to get my head round it to be honest.

There is only 1 door per half of the hopper, opened very cleverly by the hand wheel adjacent.

Turning this operated a screw link that operates a pivot that operates another pivot that 'cracks open' the hopper door. It is hinged from the outer edge of the door, opening close to the offset centre line.

I've had fun doing this wagon and apart from 1 or 2 un mouldable features it's pretty close to the real thing. It's very enigmatic, that's for sure.

Cheers

Dave

Looking at the CAD drawings, I still recon that the manual brake lever is still sitting too far down at it's outer end. Looking at the pics in the gallery section the end of the lever sits about half way between the underside of the longitudinal steel that forms the main frame & the 'round' hanger that the leaf springs hangs from. As it stands, I'd say the brakes are just about rubbing.

Cheers, Mike C

You can't edit an already placed order, so simply use the same login (if you made an account) and order more.. last tally was about 42 or 43 packs remaining for sale on the site, so we would strongly recommend anyone considering to place an order soon to avoid disappointment!

You can't edit an already placed order, so simply use the same login (if you made an account) and order more.. last tally was about 42 or 43 packs remaining for sale on the site, so we would strongly recommend anyone considering to place an order soon to avoid disappointment!

I ordered four packs when they first became available. I didn't pay for any postage on that order. However, I have just ordered two more packs now, on which I paid postage through parcel motel. I left a note on today's order, asking if you can send all six packs through parcel motel. Will this be alright?

On another note, it's great to see that it's likely the whole run will be sold out even before production begins! =D

Hi aclass,

Yes indeed, we have that - once we have everything in hand we'll do everything possible to combine and hand deliver where possible to keep costs as low as possible!! Many thanks for your business - happy to report the remaining packs are now less than 40!

Hi aclass,

Yes indeed, we have that - once we have everything in hand we'll do everything possible to combine and hand deliver where possible to keep costs as low as possible!! Many thanks for your business - happy to report the remaining packs are now less than 40!

That's great! Thanks.