IRM Rawie Buffer Stop

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

1660428000_rawierender.thumb.jpg.c67fee4239be7639b5c4263cd1b03319.jpg

While the A Class announcement was on the lips of every Irish modeller since the Model Railway Society of Ireland's Raheny show, we did preview another all new model; the ubiquitous rawie buffer stop. These could be found across the Irish network for the past two decades and are still in use today.

Our model follows a pattern unique to Ireland and will be available in packs of two for just €6.95! They will go on sale at the end of the year!

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/buffer-stops

• Like 12
  • WOW! 1

They look great. :tumbsup:

I liked the old hydraulic buffer stops they used to have at the end of the platforms in Heuston/Kingsbridge and Connolly/Amiens Street. Presume H&S and past accident experience was the reason modern ones like above are placed so far from the end of the track and end of the platform. My OCD quite liked the symmetry and punctuation of a large hydraulic stop right at the very end of the platform. :)

8 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

1660428000_rawierender.thumb.jpg.c67fee4239be7639b5c4263cd1b03319.jpg

Another all new model; the ubiquitous rawie buffer stop. These could be found across the Irish network for the past two decades and are still in use today.

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/buffer-stops

This is a very nice little model. Looks really impressive with all the track clamps (dynamic train safety system or whatever is the correct term). Unfortunately too modern for me but I would definitely like to see more authentic Irish line side models. Very tasty

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Railer said:

There's a few hydraulic ones left at Fairview depotnow painted in yellow Noel. 

14 hours ago, DiveController said:

This is a very nice little model. Looks really impressive with all the track clamps (dynamic train safety system or whatever is the correct term). Unfortunately too modern for me but I would definitely like to see more authentic Irish line side models. Very tasty

The yellow buffer stops at the north and south ends of Fairview Depot are not hydraulic. They are Henry Boot buffers retrospectively fitted with standard buffers to their buffer beams in order to prevent damage to the scharfenberg couplers. Close inspection of these buffers will reveal that these buffers have fishplates fitted behind them and the buffers are are highly torqued. They were originally designed asslidig or friction buffers. However subsequent tests and trials on this design of sliding buffer revealed that they not behave as was predicted by the manufacturer. The buffers were removed from running lines and installed in sidings.

Friction buffers currently in use are mostly supplied by Rawie in Germany. Earlier friction buffers were supplied by Godwin Warren in thr UK who manufactured under licence from Rawie.I believe Godwin Warren has stopoed trading. They also supplied level crossing barriers.

Friction buffers operate by arresting the energy of a train and stopping the train at a rate of retardation deemed acceptable to ensure the safety of passengers on the train or waiting at the station. Passengers on the train may be standing up and collecting their belongings before getting off. Passengers may be queue along the platform waiting to board. Limiting the possible damage to rolling stock and infrastructure us also considered. The energy is burned off by the travel of the friction buffer. As the train slows down additional friction elements can be engaged to stop the train within the specified length or distance.

The standard length of run out afopted by Iarnród Éireann is about 12 metres.

• Like 2
  • Informative 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Might be rust marks from rainfall?

Possibly, though, on the full-size image, there's no yellow on the top of the rail on the far side, and there doesn't seem to be anything at the other end, though the rust just could be from the bolted-up face?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

How very nice ! I guess it shows the speed of an inquiry is expected to be so slow the rust will have back filled before a visit!! Almost as useful as indicators on BMWs - and not for getting taxes paid for that to be painted on! 

Now will IRM provide a scale transfer to go with packs ??

Just putting on a hat as its too hot for a coat - leaves stage right.:D

Robert 

• Funny 1

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

After much working, reworking, testing, amending and further testing, we are delighted to report that our bufferstops are now in the final stages of assembly and will be here in mid-November! Thank you to everyone who has pre-ordered and awaited delivery for their patience!

996289665_rawieproduction.thumb.jpg.0abae9f8c1b59f5ed79ac7a4f3931738.jpg

You can order your Rawie buffer stops via the following link! https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/buffer-stops

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

These have just arrived in from China! They are currently being broken down from the pallets and dispatch should start in the next day or two, with them arriving to you early next week all going well!

507400864_image(57).thumb.png.d80b0e1edff03421c327c5d18f66e4b6.png

You can add your name to the dispatch list by placing your order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/buffer-stops

Cheers,

Fran 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Railer said:

Quick question guys. How come IRM stock is now shipping from the UK? Just got Royal Mail tracking number for the RAWIE buffer packs (Irish Versions). Are they part of the Accurascale brand now or is it a Brexit thing?

Been getting my outstanding IRM invoices from Accurascale too.  Since Accurascale is an  entity that has to stand alone from IRM (and I have no particular interest in British outline whatsoever) I was wondering why we are seeing a merging to these 'separate' entities? 

When you have 2 small companies owned by the same people surely distribution of products being merged must be common sense and help keep costs down which is what we all want. 

At the end of the day all products are distributed from China!😁

Edited by NIRCLASS80
  • Like 3