A closer look at our A Classes!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Hi everyone,

As the IRM A Class project progresses we are going to update this thread with certain milestones and in time show all the work that goes into producing a loco. Firstly, we are going to go through each loco we are doing day by day, giving a little history on each and showing what livery the IRM model will carry. 

So, first one first, A1 The class leader in Silver Livery (as delivered)

As you may know, we are doing a highly collectible edition of A1 with a certificate and wooden presentation case in its as delivered livery of silver with sandboxes. This will only be available through IRM. It is also the best selling IRM A so far, jointly with A39r.

A1 arrived at North Wall on July 4th, 1955 and would remain in its striking livery for only a few years as it rapidly deteriorated in service! The loco entered service in September of that year and was rebuilt with a GM power unit in June 1971. It would continue in service until August 1994, giving a service life of 39 years.

There is a fantastic film of A1 in action in original silver on YouTube on the Southern Yard channel brimming with nostalgia. This is the condition our model will be in. 

Of course, you know where to order it, but here's a link to make life a tad bit easier: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/a1-a-class-locomotive

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 11

A closer look at our A Classes - A39r in black and tan with high waistband livery.

1516501772_a39rESIZED.jpg.b8c390241dc5e8f7811f15bf11285441.jpg

Our second most popular A Class so far is preserved A39r. It was delivered to CIE in 1956, entering traffic on May 14th of that year, before being re-engined on July 23rd 1969 and being outshopped in the now famous black and tan livery as our model will depict.

Eventually renumbered 039, the loco went on to have a long career with CIE, being one of the last A's in service. It was also one of the locos selected by The Irish Traction Group for preservation. Through the hard work of their volunteers, the locomotive has conducted mainline railtours in preservation and is currently operational on the Downpatrick and County Down Railway.

A39r is also the locomotive we surveyed to create our model of the A Class, with special thanks to both groups for facilitating us.

You can place your order for A39r here and you can read more about the history of the loco itself on the superb ITG website.
  • Like 7

A look at our A Class - 054 IR Livery with Dayglo Panels

The mighty A class carried the distinctive IR 'Tippex' livery with points logo in their final years in service, as will be depicted by our model of 054, which will feature dayglo panels, toughened windscreens and CAWS protective guards.

054 was one of the last A's to be delivered to CIE, entering traffic in June 1956. It was re-engineered in November 1971, being the third last A Class to receive rebuilding treatment. It would go on to provide sterling service for Irish Rail until July 1993 and was one of a few A's to receive an uprated engine, which produced 1,650hp in order to work the Cork - Heuston and return fast goods.

054 will resemble the livery of 012 below (with lovely 42ft flat liners, somebody should make them too!), thank you to Jonathan Allen for permission to use this photograph. You can place your order for 054 here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/051-a-class-locomotive

IR_dayglo_2_watermarked_896x640.jpg.87d5abffb1d7ed43d5dcd5bc97c90ff1.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Tarabuses said:

Have you changed the numbers for the IR Dayglo locos?  I have them listed as 051 and 024.

looks like a mis type, the link still has 51 in it.

EDIT: The url has 51 but everything else is 54

Edited by chris

Hi folks,

In the hustle and bustle leading up to the launch at the MRSI's October show, a couple of the IR loco numbers got mixed up. They couldn't be left as they were, as 024 was withdrawn while still in Supertrain livery, while 051 had non-standard detailing which would not be economical to tool. Apologies for the confusion!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, chris said:

looks like a mis type, the link still has 51 in it.

EDIT: The url has 51 but everything else is 54

I’ve cleaned up the site and URLs to match up now to avoid confusion. 

We hope to have the decorated livery samples ready soon after Warley!

8 hours ago, Garfield said:

Hi folks,

In the hustle and bustle leading up to the launch at the MRSI's October show, a couple of the IR loco numbers got mixed up. They couldn't be left as they were, as 024 was withdrawn while still in Supertrain livery, while 051 had non-standard detailing which would not be economical to tool. Apologies for the confusion!

I've pre ordered 051 do I need to change the order?

017 IR Livery

IR_1_watermarked_f6db5947-dc39-4d73-97e7-3c0fb016ad24_896x640.jpg.2354a44f1ff7dd2bfe98489074ab9194.jpg

Our fourth most popular A Class is 017 in IR livery without CAWS guard and without dayglo panels.

017 entered traffic in January 1956 and was rebuilt in November 1970. It would soldier on in revenue service until September 1993 before withdrawal and scrapping.

Our model will feature its final condition on the network; IR 'tippex' livery without dayglo panels, with toughened windscreen and without CAWS protective grill as modelled by 019 here, snapped on another Bell liner by Jonathan Allen.

IR certainly seems to be a very popular livery for our models so far. Have you ordered yours yet? If you fancy a model of 017, you can place your order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/017-a-class-locomotive
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Warbonnet said:
IR certainly seems to be a very popular livery for our models so far. Have you ordered yours yet? If you fancy a model of 017, you can place your order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/017-a-class-locomotive

Glad I ordered an 017 then. :) Livery is outside my era but I felt I should have one as due homage to the more modern livery.

PS: FYI, the loco photo on your website page for A39r actually depicts A23r with the lower stepped band livery. Will A39r be sold in its current restoration livery with the wide band, or as depicted on the A39r web page with the narrower stepped band?

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Glad I ordered an 017 then. :) Livery is outside my era but I felt I should have one as due homage to the more modern livery.

PS: FYI, the loco photo on your website page for A39r actually depicts A23r with the lower stepped band livery. Will A39r be sold in its current restoration livery with the wide band, or as depicted on the A39r web page with the narrower stepped band?

Hi Noel,

As explained above A39r will have the high band.

thanks,

Fran

1 minute ago, Garfield said:

Hi Noel,

Only the rebuilt locos received the low band, so A15 has the high band.

Thanks Patrick. It was just the new photos on the IRM web site that caused a degree of confusion. So two high band B&Ts and one low band B&T. :) 

027 Supertrain - No staff snatchers, CAWS without protective guards, toughened glass windscreens

One of the iconic A Class liveries is of course, Supertrain. Class leader 001 was used to launch the new future of Irish railways (briefly numbered A1 in the livery) with a rake of the then new Mark II coaches.

027 will represent the class later in the Supertrain era, with CAWS without protective guards, no staff snatchers and toughened windscreens as depicted by here:

027, Killarney, April 1989

027 entered traffic in March 1956, was rebuilt in June 1970 and soldiered on in service until witdrawal inin June 1992.

You can place your order for 027 here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/…/pro…/027-a-class-locomotive

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

18 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Great to see all the various liveries represented will be getting supertrain and Black and tan liveries . The only A class missing is supertrain liveried  001 with highlighted front numbers and black roof covers as ran with the early supertrain Mk2's , wonder if this maybe added in the future .

001 loco.jpg

We probably will do it in a future run if demand is there, we didn’t want to do A1 twice in the same rn as we’re already doing her in silver of course, but nothing to stop a future run!

• Like 5

001 wasn't the only one to get this early shaded style. Several 141/181 class did too, as well as other As. It didn't last long.

I'm unaware of any 121s ever having it, though I could be wrong, and most certainly no 101 did.

28 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Great to see all the various liveries represented..........

The lighter green had variously lining and no lining; two varieties, not counting the rarer dark green.

There's something niggling the back of my mind regarding the dark green. It is easy, given lighting and dirt and different camera film, to occasionally mistake the darker bus green for the post-55 railway green. I'm pretty sure there was nothing like as much dark green on "A"s as seems to be assumed; I will search for concrete information if I get a chance today.