A closer look at our A Classes!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

8 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

001 wasn't the only one to get this early shaded style. Several 141/181 class did too, as well as other As. It didn't last long.

I'm unaware of any 121s ever having it, though I could be wrong, and most certainly no 101 did.

We could always do it as A1 in that livery which certainly didn’t last very long at all! 😂

4 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

001 kept the highlighted numbers for many years afterwards which kind of made it unique .

I think thing about this was that locomotive 001's cab-front numbers were unlike those shaded numbers that were applied later to other A Classes and GMs; possibly unique as the shaded part was an unusual peach colour with a bolder shadow and was applied, along with the black roof, as part of the inaugural Supertrain livery, making 001 easily recognisable (the numbers sort of jump out!) compared to the other locomotives which got shaded numbers as the fleet were gradually repainted from 1972 onward.

• Like 3

They're Drew Donaldsons "0" gauge stuff. His model of Inchicore which is in Cultra.

He didn't like CIE engines in black or grey, and he was very impressed with the lined green passenger livery, so he painted all his models inclined green, even if they never were green - which was the case with almost all of them!

But they look amazing!

Edited by jhb171achill

16 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

They're Drew Donaldsons "0" gauge stuff. His model of Inchicore which is in Cultra.

He didn't like CIE engines in black or grey, and he was very impressed with the lined green passenger livery, so he painted all his models inclined green, even if they never were green - which was the case with almost all of them!

But they look amazing!

Thanks for info. Looks fab. I might do the same with my 00works when they arrive. Not sure I could watch all grey model steam locos despite prototypical accuracy. Might try a bit of weathering first which might great more visual depth.

We have a precedent, Noel, with 461 in CIE green - and extremely well it looks (as would, in my humble opinion, any engine), even though the shade on 461 is hopelessly wrong. Needless to say, in accuracy terms, 461 & 2 were grey always in current form.

I saw a photoshop of the RPSI's GNR 171 in lined CIE green once. It looked absolutely amazing! My own personal preference, though, in preservation or layouts, is accuracy.....

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, Warbonnet said:

We probably will do it in a future run if demand is there, we didn’t want to do A1 twice in the same rn as we’re already doing her in silver of course, but nothing to stop a future run!

Stick me down for one Fran!:tumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trainboy said:

Looking forward to the AClass products. Does anyone know the dcc configuration. Assuming a 21 pin decoder. Hopefully, access through the roof to the decoder. Any info ??

There are fairly detailed and impressive specifications on IRMs loco web pages. Link below to an example  

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/a23r-a-class-locomotive

Edited by Noel

7 hours ago, trainboy said:

Looking forward to the AClass products. Does anyone know the dcc configuration. Assuming a 21 pin decoder. Hopefully, access through the roof to the decoder. Any info ??

thanks,

brendan

Hi Brendan,

The loco will feature a 21pin MTX socket, designed to work with ESU Loksound chips. 

On 11/18/2018 at 12:00 PM, Warbonnet said:

We probably will do it in a future run if demand is there, we didn’t want to do A1 twice in the same rn as we’re already doing her in silver of course, but nothing to stop a future run!

Would be great to see 001 in Supertrain livery. I would love to see several more in this livery as a number of goods/ freight sets alone are almost specific to this loco/livery: Fertilizer, Taras: original blue & 2nd roof Tara's, Ammonia, various mineral trains, early Liners (with baby GMs), as well as many passenger hauled ( esp Suburban) trains. 018 is going to be running a lot of train sets from the early 70s to mid 80's at the same time!!!

Also, 018 and A23R will be the only two models to share the same design configuration?, i.e. redesigned roofs with original windows/cab lamps/no caws/ snatchers, hopefully more class numbers will be produced once the design has been approved? 

I would certainly buy four or five more in this important and long lasting livery/ configuration.

15 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Why not do some with a number decal sheet similar to the Green N Class

A blank loco with several numbers on a sheet and number them as you want

Just sayin.........

Hi Dave,

A few companies did unnumbered Locos with decal sheets thrown in the box and they were always reported as poor sellers as most customers do not want to do it for fear of ruining a loco. Our numbering will be fairly easy to remove to facilitate renumbering for those who desire it.

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Sorry to have neglected this guide to our A class variants, but with Warley etc it's been very a very busy period for us. 

Anyway, today is 018 in Supertrain, Staff snatchers; no CAWS; original windscreens

1474025000_Supertrain004.thumb.jpg.5fd4b7b7468609d3295055a572d5f625.jpg

018 will be in the same condition as 004 above, with original windscreens and snatcher equipment in the iconic SuperTrain livery.

018 entered CIE traffic in January 1956, was rebuilt in Inchicore in November 1970 and was withdrawn in September 1993.

If 018 is the A for you, you can place your order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/018-a-class-locomotive

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry to have neglected this guide to our A class variants, but with Warley etc it's been very a very busy period for us. 

Anyway, today is 017 in Supertrain, Staff snatchers; no CAWS; original windscreens

1474025000_Supertrain004.thumb.jpg.5fd4b7b7468609d3295055a572d5f625.jpg

017 will be in the same condition as 004 above, with original windscreens and snatcher equipment in the iconic SuperTrain livery.

017 entered CIE traffic in January 1956, was rebuilt in Inchicore in November 1970 and was withdrawn in September 1993.

If 017 is the A for you, you can place your order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/018-a-class-locomotive

Cheers,

Fran

Super photo. Now if IRM ever choose to manufacture the two wagons behind that loco I suspect all sales records would be smashed out of the ball park. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Quick question, lads...

I'm just confused as to what the CAWS equipment looks like. ,Is it the vertical metal bars protruding down from under the buffer beam?

Yes that's them. Then the CAWS protectors are the bars that sit proud of the buffer beam with the rail head level grill between them.