Warley 23-24 November

Rate this topic

leslie10646

As usual, the Irish Railway Record Society will have a stand at the NEC this weekend - Stand B57.

Richard McLachlan will have several new books of scanned drawings from the IRRS Archive on sale. Of note are his books of architectural drawings of  Heuston (it was Kingsbridge when the drawings were made); Amiens Street and Derry (GNR). I believe he is working on a Broadstone set as well. Plus old favourites of carriage and wagon drawings from the larger companies.

We'll have a couple of slide shows going on monitors, showing drawings but also some photos from our collections. Something for everyone.

Remember that his "books" are available on disc as well, making it easy for the modeller to zoom in on some detail to get it just right.

I won't be selling Provincial Wagons at the show, as it's a society stand (and therefore free), but if you want some of my wagons, let me know via the website, or a PM and I'll bring the kits along with me. By the way, I now have the CIE cattle wagons back in stock!

Finally, I will have a small quantity of Irish books, new and out of print, on sale.

Warley is always very busy on the Saturday, but Sunday is MUCH quieter - a good time to miss the crowds and see, or shop, for the best in our hobby.

Hope to see some of you there.

Leslie (and Richard)

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Warbonnet said:

We will be there with the Accurascale stand, no B46 with lots of IRM goodies on show too! Do drop by for a look and say hi!

I certainly shall.

Today, I went train watching at Pangbourne (it counts as a walk and getting some fresh air on a God-given day) and as a train went by with those sliding top bogie wagons used for carrying car parts, among other things, I thought about you guys!

Amazing to see 37.800 go by Light Engine in Rail Delivery Group livery - must be sixty-ish if a day?

I hope that you have a successful show, demonstrating that you can outdo Hornby, Bachmann and Heljan.

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

We will be there with the Accurascale stand, no B46 with lots of IRM goodies on show too! Do drop by for a look and say hi!

B 46...?

Do you have this unique vehicle as a corporate jet for your international jaunts?

Image result for B 46

Only a three-seater, but I suppose somebody has to stay in the office..?

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I think the lads have already rocked the show with the Class 37 reveal earlier today 😂😂

Wow, I had no idea when I was photographing 37.800 at Pangbourne on Monday that the Lad's were busily announcing their model of the class! Now there's a Good Omen for you? Or part of The Great Eternal Plan (as we Presbys say).

She wasn't making a lot of noise as she flew by at about 60mph, but I do have a great memory of two of them roaring past me at Frimley on the South Western mainline some years ago. One of the most successful Modernisation Plan diesels.

905307010_20191119Pangbourne37800.thumb.jpg.af4c09d792f0b2757cb3b3ce9bcb932c.jpg

Good luck with the launch, guys and massive sales of the model, which I'm sure will be well up to standard!

I might even buy one! (Not sure how I'd explain that at Portadown).

Leslie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

I might even buy one! (Not sure how I'd explain that at Portadown).

Leslie

The UTA very nearly took a Class 20 on trial, so it's a possibility they may have decided to go for a slightly more powerful off-the-shelf EE design if it had proved successful... 😁

See you on Saturday, Leslie!

Sadly I will miss the show this time due to work, but while leslie was trying to think of a way to buy one, here is a true story from the days of British Rail.

Back in the 1980's I was and still am a supporter of the 2ft guage Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in North Devon, simply put the line was closed in 1935 and was soon lifted, however BR has a duty of care regarding certain items of civil engineering, now the old L&B has a 7 arch Viaduct in the middle of nowhere 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chelfham_Viaduct_Lynton_%26_Barnstaple_Railway_(geograph_1667109).jpg

Now imagine our surprise to hear that the bosses of BR had decided to take a jolly for the day to visit the lynton and barnstaple railway and to try out some new standard gauge civil engineering kit.

Well it was red faces all round once they realised it wouldn't fit and secondly they wouldn't be able to get it to Chelfham which was about 3 miles away from the nearest rail head, since the track bed and track had both be lifted and sold off.

At first I didn't believe it, but I have been told this story by a few folk who where there when this happen, I wonder how the report went when they got back to base.

Colin 

Well lads I hope everyone enjoyed the good old Warley war!!  Battling through the crowd. 

I have got to say I really enjoyed the whole event on Saturday. Met up with Wrenneire aka Dave and John Hamilton at Ardmore. I hope your colleague was ok after his fall. 
Also meeting up with Patrick and Fran on the IRM/Accurascale stand and taking the time to have a chat and see the new products due soon, great stuff. 

But just as I left the show and entered the Starbucks queue I happen to say hello to Paddy Murphy. This is a man I have only seen once before in my life. 
So he said to wait a couple of minutes and he would be back. 
Sure enough as I was collecting my coffee he came back and for the next hour we chatted. He gave an amazing insight into the problem child the 121 had been and the various difficulties he had faced and at the same time keeping the price as sensible as possible. 
He then unwrapped some samples and showed the various options covered and the enormous moulding challenges. It was the highlight of the show for me. Thanks Paddy for taking the time to talk but also the fantastic models produced over the years. 
And if anyone wants to complain about the 121’s being late take time to consider how blessed we have been for such a small market. Gareth 

0521E818-3046-482B-A1D4-08CCAC8B102F.jpeg

B3CE7F26-36F1-4ED0-9FE8-FE775E6EDC63.jpeg

35E679ED-3A2C-433F-9B58-4E2BBB07A8EF.jpeg

FC1E0866-3180-4449-991A-BC864625D3A5.jpeg

214D8275-C3BF-43F0-87B9-70B1F1A07AAE.jpeg

78B38B9B-0BAD-4DFE-B8F4-A0BA5EF521FB.jpeg

6F070BAC-8727-4756-9707-41E7455F4126.jpeg

38C67CCE-FA0D-4378-BBAE-81F0B0C2AEE5.jpeg

7E99F065-A4B0-49F2-A213-43EF1DC17847.jpeg

746558F3-DBEA-46D8-AC17-C51201EB6480.jpeg

5C2BA7C1-0271-4030-B616-3C8C92F5E77C.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Informative 2
  • WOW! 4

On 11/18/2019 at 11:17 AM, leslie10646 said:

As usual, the Irish Railway Record Society will have a stand at the NEC this weekend - Stand B57.

Richard McLachlan will have several new books of scanned drawings from the IRRS Archive on sale. Of note are his books of architectural drawings of  Heuston (it was Kingsbridge when the drawings were made); Amiens Street and Derry (GNR). I believe he is working on a Broadstone set as well. Plus old favourites of carriage and wagon drawings from the larger companies.

We'll have a couple of slide shows going on monitors, showing drawings but also some photos from our collections. Something for everyone.

Remember that his "books" are available on disc as well, making it easy for the modeller to zoom in on some detail to get it just right.

I won't be selling Provincial Wagons at the show, as it's a society stand (and therefore free), but if you want some of my wagons, let me know via the website, or a PM and I'll bring the kits along with me. By the way, I now have the CIE cattle wagons back in stock!

Finally, I will have a small quantity of Irish books, new and out of print, on sale.

Warley is always very busy on the Saturday, but Sunday is MUCH quieter - a good time to miss the crowds and see, or shop, for the best in our hobby.

Hope to see some of you there.

Leslie (and Richard)

Being a new member it was nice to chat

NIRCLASS80, thanks for your note on your meeting with Paddy and the accompanying photographs. I saw this model at the Dublin Exhibition and, just like the A Class, it is truly impressive. Wasn't aware that it was problematic but the railway modeller is so demanding these days that people are looking for nothing less than perfection. Judging by your detailed pictures, it looks like he's trying to get an awful lot of technology into so little space. These models will certainly be worth waiting for.

• Thanks 1

Also to say thanks for photos. Show as ever a hectic success. I did not get much chance to view layouts - all had crowds around but that is to be expected at model railway show  - not that some do given comments ! Saw the good lads on the fine stand and all the lovely models. 

I look forward to all that comes - so much better than I can do in the time available, thanks to all who make the hobby fun.

• Like 2

As ever, good to meet old friends and make new contacts. Warley has always been good for networking.

Picked up my VS Class, which was having surgery, pulls eight coaches without any effort now! And a hand-made Christmas Present of a GNR Belgian Brake. 

Robert, the Club's "Great British Steam Locomotive from Cradle to Grave" was one of the best pieces of interpretative history-telling I've ever seen. A brilliant model - well done to Ian Carter and the Club.

Very pleased to see Harry back on his feet on Sunday after his illness on Saturday.

I had a great chat with Paddy also, not so much on single-ended Yankees.

I'd had that at Blackrock. I suggested to him that the miniaturisation which made it possible to put so many features into the B Class was all down to an American President with Irish roots - John F - who kicked off the Moon Race, which dictated that things HAD to be smaller. Talk about unintended consequences?

• Like 4