proper irish bus

Rate this topic

mphoey

Just thinking

Seen as IRM have proved and excelled themselves in the hobby so far with their range of Irish Railways would they do the same for road based vehicles.

Rapido trains have proved how they can create a plastic bus similar to Herpa , Wiking and Busch but far better and allowing multiple liveries and registration route choices.

Do we think that IRM could do something similar and do an iconic Irish bus in this way or even other vehicles like trucks vans or cars that only operated here.

on the other hand would love a  LUAS tram

• Like 2

id also be looking at types that may be sold through accruscale the olympian from irbus has done very well with various variants even though id love to see a readily built average price d or kc i think a good option is the av as its got lots of livery choices and a lot went to the uk for operators

• Like 1

Anything that ran in a lot of different liveries AND had a long life-span is gonna be more commercially viable.

Aside from the WV's, I'd love to see another run of the Imps, and a load of Olympians in different liveries.

CMNL have two Dublin bus models due out, an ADL MMC Enviro 400 and a V/A CitySwift BT7L ALX400, so we also have those to look forward to.

Hopefully, IRM will be stocking them to make it easier to spend even more money!

😂

16 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Anything that ran in a lot of different liveries AND had a long life-span is gonna be more commercially viable.

Aside from the WV's, I'd love to see another run of the Imps, and a load of Olympians in different liveries.

CMNL have two Dublin bus models due out, an ADL MMC Enviro 400 and a V/A CitySwift BT7L ALX400, so we also have those to look forward to.

Hopefully, IRM will be stocking them to make it easier to spend even more money!

😂

We will be stocking the ADL MMC Enviro 400 when the time comes, due March is the latest information we have. And we have a couple of other things up our sleeves too....

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mphoey said:

Just thinking

Seen as IRM have proved and excelled themselves in the hobby so far with their range of Irish Railways would they do the same for road based vehicles.

Rapido trains have proved how they can create a plastic bus similar to Herpa , Wiking and Busch but far better and allowing multiple liveries and registration route choices.

Do we think that IRM could do something similar and do an iconic Irish bus in this way or even other vehicles like trucks vans or cars that only operated here.

on the other hand would love a  LUAS tram

TRAMS!!!!

(Maybe an old Howth tram?)

Buses - the single deckers used by the UTA and CIE in the 1950s and 60s, of several types, would be a winner, I feel.

• Like 1

Nice Bus Scoile would be the Job, Right Across the land people travelled on them, Some people even got to sit next to the driver on the way to school cause they were bold and some people had happy memories of Cogging their homework on the way to school in a panic as that person was 3rd last stop to school and 10 mins away!!..........

image.png.e8668c123c778819f5cb7f2ed5f800b3.png

• Like 6

5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Don't want to go to Crumlin, if all they have there is Club Lemon instead of Bush, and the bus is named after an Oik.

JHB You almost sound like Elvis Costello (I don't want to go to Chelsea).

You were more likely to find Powers, Jameson, than Bush in the "Anchor Bar" "The Horse Shoe Inn", "Lisle House" or "Mooneys" in Crumlin Village during the 60s though I was too young to be allowed in until the mid 70s.

One of my most prized possessions is a Derek Farrelly model of a No50 Altantean  though I would be very interested in an R or an RA in the original blue and cream which I often took to school or with my parents to town.

Moving on from a bus the one thing that's missing is a decent model of a typical Irish "Hyno" truck of the 70s & 80s, Irish tipper bodies were quite different to the UK with higher capacity bodies and different hydraulics as there was little or no enforcement of gross load weights .

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

My experience of bus travel in Ireland was more rural- typically in West Cork in the 70s/ early 80s (the days before we had a car). Single deckers, box- like bodies, roof racks with a ladder. Scarcely touched the seat from Cork to Skibbereen for the bouncing.  I can't even find a photo of one at the moment.

• Like 2

Just now, Maitland said:

My experience of bus travel in Ireland was more rural- typically in West Cork in the 70s/ early 80s (the days before we had a car). Single deckers, box- like bodies, roof racks with a ladder. Scarcely touched the seat from Cork to Skibbereen for the bouncing.  I can't even find a photo of one at the moment.

Probably an old "E" class?

I'd second and third a Bus Scoile and a KC in Bus Éireann livery.

Hinos are a "must have" for an Irish layout of a certain era. Ireland wasn't as wealthy as the UK so the vehicles reflected this. Hinos were cheaper.

Cars on an Irish layout would look fairly different to a GB one. Invariably the lower spec (no alloys, no spoilers, 1.4 CL as opposed to 2.0 GTI).

Far fewer transits and far more Hiaces.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

A proper Irish bus and a perfect companion for the 001 class locomotives.....

84CEB1C1-F23F-4909-BBAC-A084A7E2AC09.jpeg

You've an excellent CIE bus collection. Personally I preferred the cream and red livery I remember travelling on in the early 1970s due nostalgia memory (not the school bus variant shown below). Travelling up to Dublin to watch SCT rugby matches with a fleet of 10 in convoy was fun.

12-md42.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

I'd second and third a Bus Scoile and a KC in Bus Éireann livery.

Hinos are a "must have" for an Irish layout of a certain era. Ireland wasn't as wealthy as the UK so the vehicles reflected this. Hinos were cheaper.

Cars on an Irish layout would look fairly different to a GB one. Invariably the lower spec (no alloys, no spoilers, 1.4 CL as opposed to 2.0 GTI).

Far fewer transits and far more Hiaces.

Definitely Hino lorries and Hiace vans. Lorries, vans and cars seemed to carry more damage than in the UK - crumpled wings and mismatched doors - but there were no 4x4s of any description even out in the country, except for the Isuzu Troopers of the Army and FCA. Nearly all tractors were cabless and most didn't even have a roll bar.

Edited by NIR
  • Like 2

The thing is, there ARE nice Irish buses out there, but the runs tend to be so small that they are only available for a very short period of time.

The secret Facebook Van Hool Atlantean is a prime example, but even the IRM commissioned Rail Link buses flew off the shelves incredibly quickly.

Then somebody comes along looking for Irish buses, and the only ones they can find are going for crazy money on eBay.

I know that eBay pricing is a whole different debate, and there are arguments for and against crazy prices, so let's not digress on that here.

2021-02-04 15.47.24-1.jpg

2021-02-04 15.48.41-1.jpg

• Like 2

Definitely. Estates were even rarer. It's one of the things that struck me when I first moved to Germany: almost the default version of a car was the estate or hatchback model with very few saloons in comparison.  The saloon car was king in comparison in Ireland back then I would say. My father had Granadas before "graduating" to an Audi 100. A 5 cylinder beast of a thing which I loved going anywhere in. All used and several years old when bought mind!

Neighbour had a series of Jettas after graduating from a Ritmo. Actually Fiats were far more common back then full stop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NIR said:

Definitely Hino lorries and Hiace vans. Lorries, vans and cars seemed to carry more damage than in the UK - crumpled wings and mismatched doors - but there were no 4x4s of any description even out in the country, except for the Isuzu Troopers of the Army and FCA. Nearly all tractors were cabless and most didn't even have a roll bar.

I worked as a construction site manager in Dublin during the early 80s the most striking thing was the heavier loads carried by tipper and ready mixed concrete trucks compared to the UK. It was an institutional thing trucks were fitted with higher capacity bodies and pre-mix bottles compared to similar vehicles in the UK, and it took a lot of adjustment getting used to the lighter loads carried after I moved to the UK in the mid 1980s. In Ireland the vehicle manufacturers GLW was treated as the net load weight!

The Hino's were popular because they were simple and stood up to abuse better than the more expensive British & Scandanavian trucks, on haulier overturned his 3 axle Hino tipper on a site checked the engine oil and water levels after we righted the vehicle with an excavator then went off to the quarry for another load!

The "hackers" lorries that delivered palletised bagged cement from CIEs Abercorne Road depot direct to construction sites were a motley bunch of second and third hand vehicles always looking for a quick turn round on site to collect another load from the depot.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, Mayner said:

I worked as a construction site manager in Dublin during the early 80s the most striking thing was the heavier loads carried by tipper and ready mixed concrete trucks compared to the UK. It was an institutional thing trucks were fitted with higher capacity bodies and pre-mix bottles compared to similar vehicles in the UK, and it took a lot of adjustment getting used to the lighter loads carried after I moved to the UK in the mid 1980s. In Ireland the vehicle manufacturers GLW was treated as the net load weight!

The Hino's were popular because they were simple and stood up to abuse better than the more expensive British & Scandanavian trucks, on haulier overturned his 3 axle Hino tipper on a site checked the engine oil and water levels after we righted the vehicle with an excavator then went off to the quarry for another load!

The "hackers" lorries that delivered palletised bagged cement from CIEs Abercorne Road depot direct to construction sites were a motley bunch of second and third hand vehicles always looking for a quick turn round on site to collect another load from the depot.

1950s and 60s TH series Hinos (presumably unknown in Ireland) are still working to this day in Burma.