Can anyone identify the location / date?

Rate this topic

Wexford70

8 minutes ago, K801 said:

I can live with the odd error as the photos are great 

They are, yes, agreed - though I'm afraid it's more than the odd error! He got to many places that other enthusiasts didn't and seems to have a special interest in the innards of signal cabins and their staff. That alone is gold dust - not many others thought of that.

He was a very nice man to talk to.

• Like 3

Dead right about offbeat pictures and their value. The late JJ Smith was another who did this. Two days before the SLNC closed he spent some 8 hours at Florencecourt photographing everything that came through. The station is literally in the middle of nowhere - not even a pub for refuge between trains! It was terribly wet that day but he persisted and even got very rare images of the cabin interior and its antiquated fittings - including the signalling diagram. So we all owe a debt of gratitude to those photographers who see beyond the usual ! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 7:40 AM, Galteemore said:

Dead right about offbeat pictures and their value. The late JJ Smith was another who did this. Two days before the SLNC closed he spent some 8 hours at Florencecourt photographing everything that came through. The station is literally in the middle of nowhere - not even a pub for refuge between trains! It was terribly wet that day but he persisted and even got very rare images of the cabin interior and its antiquated fittings - including the signalling diagram. So we all owe a debt of gratitude to those photographers who see beyond the usual ! 

Indeed, Jim O'Dea was a traveling salesman and travel the length and breadth of the country in his Morris Minor 850, he travel on the last train from Valentia to Farranfore in January 1960, he gave many slide shows of his travels, photographing the interior of signal cabins and diagrams, his favorite signal cabin I recall was Enfield on the Sligo line, I met him there in 1987, the signalman in Enfield the late Colm Pender??? I think his name was, a real friendly gent and was always welcoming to enthusiasts, he loved O'Dea for his knowledge and sometimes would bring him a surprise photo, it's one thing I do miss on the modern railway, the  mechanical signal cabins and of course the friendly signalmen.

Edited by h gricer
  • Like 5

On 5/1/2022 at 7:47 PM, Wexford70 said:

Any identify what this new shiny coach was?

Again from eBay:

s-l640.jpg

CIE mail / parcels / brake coach, to an old GSR design dating from, I think, 1935. Modern bogies on this one, as most of them (there were maybe ten or so in total). The CIE ones were built in 1960, according to Doyle & Hirsch.

• Informative 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:49 AM, jhb171achill said:

They are, yes, agreed - though I'm afraid it's more than the odd error! He got to many places that other enthusiasts didn't and seems to have a special interest in the innards of signal cabins and their staff. That alone is gold dust - not many others thought of that.

He was a very nice man to talk to.

Amazingly sharp photos too for the time. You can zoom in and read the signal cabin clockmaker's names on the dials in some of them.

Some nice photos of staff at rest and work too. I find the standard 3/4 front view of locos and trains without any humans in sight to be rather boring and lifeless. You could be forgiven for thinking that trains ran themselves without any human intervention in some photo collections.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Amazingly sharp photos too for the time. You can zoom in and read the signal cabin clockmaker's names on the dials in some of them.

Some nice photos of staff at rest and work too. I find the standard 3/4 front view of locos and trains without any humans in sight to be rather boring and lifeless. You could be forgiven for thinking that trains ran themselves without any human intervention in some photo collections.

Very true. O'Dea's collection features very many cabins, with and without staff, including many of which (after decades of examining photos of all sorts) I have often never seen any other internal view of. As many others have commented, he also has a strong emphasis on staff in all areas in his phots, just as the late Mac Arnold had in his writings (often to the exclusion of much else!).

I spent several days during the lockdown this time last year trawling every single image of his that is online and making notes. Ten years ago I did the same, by examining them on microfilm in the National Archives; it took me almost a week! Superb stuff, very educational.

Edited by jhb171achill

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 20/1/2022 at 8:20 PM, h gricer said:

Indeed, Jim O'Dea was a traveling salesman and travel the length and breadth of the country in his Morris Minor 850, he travel on the last train from Valentia to Farranfore in January 1960, he gave many slide shows of his travels, photographing the interior of signal cabins and diagrams, his favorite signal cabin I recall was Enfield on the Sligo line, I met him there in 1987, the signalman in Enfield the late Colm Pender??? I think his name was, a real friendly gent and was always welcoming to enthusiasts, he loved O'Dea for his knowledge and sometimes would bring him a surprise photo, it's one thing I do miss on the modern railway, the  mechanical signal cabins and of course the friendly signalmen.

Colum Pender is indeed correct! A lovely, kind man, with a big welcome for anyone who was interested in the railways. I spent many evenings with him in the cabin in the 1980's and 1990's. He passed away a number of years ago.