Noel Playfair - NIR & RPSI driver

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

I've just read this in an e-mail from a "Timer" friend.

Obviously Noel was very highly regarded by the Students of Locomotive Performance (aka "Timers"). He drove (and fired) most expertly and was just as enthusiastic about a day out on 186's footplate as he was on Merlin or No.4. He learned the craft of driving the big Compound from an earlier GNR driver and when the day came for the IR drivers to take Merlin on a RPSI tour, Rob Jolly came up to the North and travelled down on her footplate to get some tips. Noel drove to Dundalk, with Rob watching how it was done. At Dundalk, Noel put him in the driver's seat, took up the shovel himself and let Rob have a hands-on tutorial. That was the kind of guy Noel was.

Nearly twenty years ago, he asked one of the timing fraternity for some idea of the best performances on the GNR main line in the preservation era. Armed with that information, he set about beating them. In particular, he was interested in getting Merlin over the great climb over the Border without falling below 50mph - he got very close! 

He got 70mph out of the recently-overhauled Q Class No.131 and we timers were looking forward to experiencing him driving No.171 when her overhaul is complete. Alas, that is a pleasure we will be denied.

My sympathy to his friends, family and colleagues who have lost a truly great guy.

May he indeed Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 9

On 16/1/2023 at 11:14 PM, leslie10646 said:

I've just read this in an e-mail from a "Timer" friend.

Obviously Noel was very highly regarded by the Students of Locomotive Performance (aka "Timers"). He drove (and fired) most expertly and was just as enthusiastic about a day out on 186's footplate as he was on Merlin or No.4. He learned the craft of driving the big Compound from an earlier GNR driver and when the day came for the IR drivers to take Merlin on a RPSI tour, Rob Jolly came up to the North and travelled down on her footplate to get some tips. Noel drove to Dundalk, with Rob watching how it was done. At Dundalk, Noel put him in the driver's seat, took up the shovel himself and let Rob have a hands-on tutorial. That was the kind of guy Noel was.

Nearly twenty years ago, he asked one of the timing fraternity for some idea of the best performances on the GNR main line in the preservation era. Armed with that information, he set about beating them. In particular, he was interested in getting Merlin over the great climb over the Border without falling below 50mph - he got very close! 

He got 70mph out of the recently-overhauled Q Class No.131 and we timers were looking forward to experiencing him driving No.171 when her overhaul is complete. Alas, that is a pleasure we will be denied.

My sympathy to his friends, family and colleagues who have lost a truly great guy.

May he indeed Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory.

Thank you so much for sharing these precious memories of my dad ❤️, Rebekah

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

@Rebekah Cunningham like so many, I was absolutely gutted to learn of your Dad's passing, a truly exceptional railwayman and a genuinely nice person, I met Noel a few times and corresponded with him too and he was only ever charming, kind and very very helpful.  It has been said that he was equally at home talking to his professional colleagues and also the enthusiast community and I can certainly vouch for the latter, a passionate railwayman to whom we all owe a huge debt of gratitude for his years of work keeping the steam locos running to perfection.

But the biggest loss is of course to you and your family - my sincerest condolences to you all on the loss of such a wonderful person, taken far too soon.  You can all be extremely proud of Noel.

May he rest in peace xx

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

@Rebekah Cunningham like so many, I was absolutely gutted to learn of your Dad's passing, a truly exceptional railwayman and a genuinely nice person, I met Noel a few times and corresponded with him too and he was only ever charming, kind and very very helpful.  It has been said that he was equally at home talking to his professional colleagues and also the enthusiast community and I can certainly vouch for the latter, a passionate railwayman to whom we all owe a huge debt of gratitude for his years of work keeping the steam locos running to perfection.

But the biggest loss is of course to you and your family - my sincerest condolences to you all on the loss of such a wonderful person, taken far too soon.  You can all be extremely proud of Noel.

May he rest in peace xx

Thank you so so much, the love, support and kindness from everyone is what's carrying us through these hard days. ❤️

• Like 11

I've just seen this -

https://www.facebook.com/briggstransportart/posts/pfbid0NjbALejj1CCWhWjsv9BfzA99kMyVTrqaGy2mp4B8BcVY1ZdxUSnYoz77BowwkW1Ql

"Earlier this week NI Railways and the greater railway community was shocked at the sudden passing of one of its longest serving and most enthusiastic employees and friends. Noel Playfair was a railwayman to his very core, not only in his day job as a driver but for many years the stalwart of preserved steam on the mainline in these parts. A pleasant individual who had a greeting for everyone he met and a dedicated family man he will be sorely missed. I had the privilege to produce this painting for him just over 2 years ago, which depicts Noel as a junior porter removing the tail lamp from a recently arrived railcar at his home station of Carrickfergus where his railway career began. During the following decades he would drive every loco and railcar type in use here and amongst his duties he would drive the late Queen and Prince Philip on their visits. His place in railway history on this island is assured and he will be sorely missed by friends and colleagues alike."

May be an image of 3 people, train and railway

• Like 7

More memories of Noel:

Back in February 2016 I attended the funeral of a neighbour and ex-GNR driver Ned O’Hara. I met Noel Playfair there and although I had only chatted to Noel online by that stage he recognised me and came over for a chat about Ned. He described Ned as a total gentleman, very professional and helpful to everyone he met and particularly so to the upcoming generation of railway employees, giving encouragement and advice freely and always with a smile.

Familiar words over these past few days.

On May 15th 2018, newly-restored GNR Q class locomotive No. 131 was doing a run up the Antrim branch and I was following the working that day, and of course Noel was driving.  Here are a few screen grabs from video clips I made that day:

2007138583_13101.jpg.7cc4bb30a885543e38624f2390e3a645.jpg

Noel giving his customary wave to this enthusiast, as he brings 131 through Finaghy on the outward leg of the trip.

1295558579_13103.jpg.9b8688ff9adb3d9fa85d1d4a575c3516.jpg

131 and train approaching the Largy Road bridge near Crumlin with the return working.

196712680_13102.jpg.c850b015fc85a67752f70a4bae3927b2.jpg

Noel doing what he did best - driving a steam loco at speed along the GN mainline, again at Finaghy on the return working that day.  Paul Hoy, NIR driver trainer, is the other gentleman on the footplate.

RIP Noel

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 6

• 5 months later...

The current (latest) issue of the Irish Railway Record Society Journal,  Volume 30, No 211, June 2023, has a very apt obituary for Noel, by Martin Baumann. I knew he started with NIR as a porter at Carrickfergus in 1979, but was unaware that he then was promoted to Conductor based at my modelling location, Larne Harbour, before further promotion to the driving grade at Belfast Central Services Depot in 1983. Noel had been driving for just over 40 years when his last turn came on January 16th this year. Sadly missed for many reasons, not least that he was the only remaining NIR driver passed out to drive steam locomotives. Gone but always to be remembered. RIP Noel.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

I had an E Mail from IRRS a few days ago saying that the Journals for UK members had been posted via Royal Mail in Newry but due to wrong information given by the Newry Post Office they had been posted with insufficient postage and Royal Mail have been sending out a card demanding another £1-50 (this includes an admin fee) to be paid before they will deliver them. I had the Email from IRRS because I am on their E Mail 'mailing' list. Their email had a link to an On-line version of the Journal so I have just read this instead. My postcard from Royal Mail demanding £1-50 arrived a couple of days ago. It says they will return the item to the sender in 18 days if I don't pay it.

• Informative 1
  • WOW! 1
  • Confused 1