eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Who buys Irish models in Japan and then decides Oh no I don't want it I'll sell it for 4 times the price? Is there business model I'm missing here?

some lad in canada with the same sort of notions!

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Check out his other items for sale
Some kind of scam or else he knows something I dont!  🕵️‍♀️

seems to be a general theme on ebay of limited run or niche stuff going for 3-4x its worth not long after the production of them  winds up

• Like 1

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 17.41.48.png

sheeeeesh

1597238306_Screenshot2022-04-05at17_43_48.png.ba1ef6770668dc3ff8e7a6e1b7cdd6de.png

same seller, not a bad deal until you realise youve preordered far superior versions of the same thing due in a few months....

maybe he wants these sold quickly so he can fund the new ones haha

Edited by Sean

Hello All, I hope this is the correct place to ask a question about buying from the US on ebay? This Santa Fe loco caught my eye :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HO-Scale-Proto2000-23224-Santa-FE-E6A-B-Powered-Unpowered-Diesel-Set-HO6081-/115346822162?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I'm wondering if anyone has used An Post's AddressPal service to save money on postage (Addresspal charges 15.99 to post from US to Ireland). And if so what were the customs charges like? Any cheaper than the $40 eBay would charge?

3 hours ago, Sean said:

i used them from uk when parcel motel stopped northern ireland operations. got a disproportionately large customs bill with absolutely zero means to appeal and havent used it at all since.

Yeah that happened to me with the UK too. I'm probably foolish to think customs charges on goods from the US would be any less crippling.

6 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

If you are interested in US outline stock there is a lad who sells US outline at Bray Wheelers
Phil McHugh, PM me for his details

Thanks

• Like 1

14 hours ago, raymurph said:

Hello All, I hope this is the correct place to ask a question about buying from the US on ebay? This Santa Fe loco caught my eye :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HO-Scale-Proto2000-23224-Santa-FE-E6A-B-Powered-Unpowered-Diesel-Set-HO6081-/115346822162?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I'm wondering if anyone has used An Post's AddressPal service to save money on postage (Addresspal charges 15.99 to post from US to Ireland). And if so what were the customs charges like? Any cheaper than the $40 eBay would charge?

take into account you will still pay normal customs due on all addresspal parcels add in the addresspal charge plus the post charge to the addresspal office sometimes its cheaper sometimes not

• Like 1

@raymurph - I bought a couple of new locomotives from the U.S.A., had to pay 112€ customs but still worked out 100€ cheaper than buying in Europe (Britain included). I've never bought off eBay so don't know what additional charges would be incurred when purchasing from them in the U.S.A. but you can be sure that they, like PayPay, will want their pound of flesh.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, connollystn said:

@raymurph - I bought a couple of new locomotives from the U.S.A., had to pay 112€ customs but still worked out 100€ cheaper than buying in Europe (Britain included). I've never bought off eBay so don't know what additional charges would be incurred when purchasing from them in the U.S.A. but you can be sure that they, like PayPay, will want their pound of flesh.

Prices for US stuff in the States tend to work out cheaper including customs charges because retail prices tend to be lower mainly due to the much larger size of the market and greater competition between retailers compared to EU, UK or other countries.  

Trainworld https://www.trainworld.com/ is one of the larger US retailers that exports World Wide

United States Postal Service (USPS) is usually the cheapest option for shipping from the States.   Irish vat at 23% is charged on the declared value of the item plus shipping An Post charge a flat processing/clearance fee.

Couriers like DHL charge more but offer a faster service.  Customs Clearance fees have come down since the Revenue went over to electronic customs clearance DHls charges appear to be based on a minimum charge €10.00 or 2% of the vat if higher

• Like 3

Informally, I'm happy to offer a bit of "looking help" and potentially postal shipping for someone seeking certain U.S. design models or books. 

I'm based near Chicago and we're fortunate to have two large hobby shops that specialize in railway models and kits, Des Plaines Hobbies and Chicagoland Hobby and Toy, as well as a monthly sellers' show for small unincorporated modellers who rent tables and sell in several large exhibition halls at the DuPage County Fairgrounds.  Both hobby shops have web sites, but Des Plaines Hobbies is more comprehensive.  Chicagoland Hobby offers a lot on eBay that can also be purchased cheaper, faster in person.  Slower, definitely, but possibly better savings.  Books and U.S. models here tend to be glutting the market from estates, so prices can sometimes be pennies on the dollar compared to online distributors.

In my own Irish railway interests, I've been fortunate to have much material help from gentlemen involved in this conversation.  I'm happy to keep a lookout to pay something forward.

Martin

• Like 7

23 hours ago, connollystn said:

22 hours ago, Mayner said:

Prices for US stuff in the States tend to work out cheaper including customs charges because retail prices tend to be lower mainly due to the much larger size of the market and greater competition between retailers compared to EU, UK or other countries.  

Trainworld https://www.trainworld.com/ is one of the larger US retailers that exports World Wide

United States Postal Service (USPS) is usually the cheapest option for shipping from the States.   Irish vat at 23% is charged on the declared value of the item plus shipping An Post charge a flat processing/clearance fee.

Couriers like DHL charge more but offer a faster service.  Customs Clearance fees have come down since the Revenue went over to electronic customs clearance DHls charges appear to be based on a minimum charge €10.00 or 2% of the vat if higher

Thanks , buying from US retailers and associated customs charges was going to be my next question! I'm tempted by prices on Trainworld.

19 hours ago, NorthWallDocker said:

Informally, I'm happy to offer a bit of "looking help" and potentially postal shipping for someone seeking certain U.S. design models or books. 

I'm based near Chicago and we're fortunate to have two large hobby shops that specialize in railway models and kits, Des Plaines Hobbies and Chicagoland Hobby and Toy, as well as a monthly sellers' show for small unincorporated modellers who rent tables and sell in several large exhibition halls at the DuPage County Fairgrounds.  Both hobby shops have web sites, but Des Plaines Hobbies is more comprehensive.  Chicagoland Hobby offers a lot on eBay that can also be purchased cheaper, faster in person.  Slower, definitely, but possibly better savings.  Books and U.S. models here tend to be glutting the market from estates, so prices can sometimes be pennies on the dollar compared to online distributors.

In my own Irish railway interests, I've been fortunate to have much material help from gentlemen involved in this conversation.  I'm happy to keep a lookout to pay something forward.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I'll DM you and stop hijacking this thread

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a look at the MM Jenny coach & thought HOW much? insane, if  people pay that sot of price we are headed into far more money than sense territory. In the same league as women's fashion in the Sunday supplements. Just my opinion.  :dig:

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Sean said:

While we're on the subject of mental insanity, I'm doing a clearout and I have the following to go at €500 each:

Pudding bender, hardly used

Spotted paint, single coat

Glass hammer, smashing price

Chocolate doorknob, barely nibbled

Contact Annette if interested, Annette Curtain...

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Don't know why but they weren't particularly popular models in that livery. The prototype was no beauty in that livery and usually allowed to decay, compared to the current freight grey 071s.  I have one but never run it so it might get resprayed to freight grey or NIR 8112 livery as both of those seem rather unique.

7 minutes ago, Noel said:

Don't know why but they weren't particularly popular models in that livery. The prototype was no beauty in that livery and usually allowed to decay, compared to the current freight grey 071s.  I have one but never run it so it might get resprayed to freight grey or NIR 8112 livery as both of those seem rather unique.

Not so sure about them not being popular models in this livery. They were just as hard to track down as any of the other 500-unit runs.

• Like 1