eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

After Lima had some success with their N Gauge models in the late 60's early 70' they decided to enter the British OO market

However their scale was HO and they produced HO models from about '73

They did not look correct when compared to similar British outline models and they decided to manufacture in OO

This was completed by '77 so as can be seen there was a small 4 year window when these models were produced.

The Irish company Toys International and in particular its General manager John Byrne was approached by the Wrenn brothers with a view to becoming the Irish agent for Lima and in '74 they met at the Nuremburg Toy Fair. John Byrne brought up the subject of Irish liveries as there was now for the first time an Irish agent.

Christmas '74 saw the introduction of the HO Supertrain set, the real one had just been launched by CIE the previous year.

So historically this is the first Irish outline set that was available to buy RTR

Incidentally John Byrne later moved to Hornby and was also responsible for the Hymek sets.

A very collectable set for any serious Irish collector.

I watched the end of this auction, a couple of bids were retracted and there was one bidder in particular who bid first on the set and retracted last

He also bid on another item this seller had listed

The second bid retraction was from a bidder that I have seen retract on Irish items in the past

Puts a huge bid in to see what the highest bid is and if its too much he retracts, complains about postage being too high etc.

Where are the eBay Polis when you want them?

I watched the end of this auction, a couple of bids were retracted and there was one bidder in particular who bid first on the set and retracted last

He also bid on another item this seller had listed

The second bid retraction was from a bidder that I have seen retract on Irish items in the past

Puts a huge bid in to see what the highest bid is and if its too much he retracts, complains about postage being too high etc.

Where are the eBay Polis when you want them?

Unless it's provably illegal, ebay don't seem to care any more.

Going back to this particular auction, a bid retraction after eight days and 'entered wrong amount' as the reason is just plain wrong - clearly as WrennEire says, it was just to flush out either the reserve or the other highest bidder - unfortunately for the seller there were at least two false bidders playing this 'game'.

-Rob