eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

2 hours ago, Liam_Murph said:

I could manage up to 190-200 like the 121s are from the likes of IRM. I just get priced out on ebay for the 141s once I have to factor in shipping costs to Finland which invariable adds another 20 sterling at least onto the price

I hear ya 

Im the same - only got into the hobby in the last 3 years and missed out on the 141/181s.

Even living in Ireland - all the stuff on ebay is sterling area based - like yourself - when you add in the currency conversion and shipping - its over 200 yoyos in most cases and I can't justify that to myself -let alone her indoors - when brand spanking new 121s and A's will be 190 delivered to the door with the latest and most detailed specs ever. 

Even today I got into 2 auctions for 141's at the respectable enough price of 110 to 120 sterling this morning - not much activity for last 2 days - and within 2 hours the price had gone to 170 plus sterling and I bowed out at that...........its the same all the time.

the only thing I can surmise out of this is:

if there is this kinda demand and this kind of speculation  - IRM or PM or whoever (preferably the first 2) should think seriously about a new 141/181 - maybe not this year or next year given 121s and As and the Covid craic ( trust me - I work in the Aviation related sector and so does the missus and talk about a perfect storm! - its not looking good at all)   - but defo within the next 4 years......I , for one, would be prepared to spend on pairs in  a couple of liveries - the demand is there - the MM141s are selling at an average of 30 to 40 euros more than 3-4 years ago.

Other than that - I think I'll register an interest with Hattons and Rails etc or try and make it up to the big smoke for any of the fairs to see if I can get my hands on a couple of B&T and Supertrain 141/181's at a reasonable price for me - its the currency conversion and the postage is what kills it for me on the Bay.

Edited by Edo
  • Like 1

The MM 141/181's were excellent models when they were released and still hold up today. However, they were first released back in 2007/2008, so model loco specs have improved a lot even since then.

When you look at the IRM 001 and the MM 121, you are seeing the current detail and spec levels that any new loco being released nowadays seems to have, both here and in the UK.

As more people start modelling the Irish scene, thanks to the efforts of both MM and IRM, the MM 141/181's are getting scarcer and this is reflected in the price that they are commanding on ebay at present.

I don't know if we will see another run of the MM 141/181 models. If we do, happy days, but I would much rather the 141/181 and even the 071 was released with the same detail and spec levels that we are now seeing on the forthcoming 001 and 121 models.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

The MM 141/181's were excellent models when they were released and still hold up today. However, they were first released back in 2007/2008, so model loco specs have improved a lot even since then.

When you look at the IRM 001 and the MM 121, you are seeing the current detail and spec levels that any new loco being released nowadays seems to have, both here and in the UK.

As more people start modelling the Irish scene, thanks to the efforts of both MM and IRM, the MM 141/181's are getting scarcer and this is reflected in the price that they are commanding on ebay at present.

I don't know if we will see another run of the MM 141/181 models. If we do, happy days, but I would much rather the 141/181 and even the 071 was released with the same detail and spec levels that we are now seeing on the forthcoming 001 and 121 models.

Yes we are very fortunate these days. After A class and 121 are released Irish Modellers practically have a full house except for IRM or MM spec coaching stock (eg Mk3, Laminates, Park Royals, Bredin's, etc). Only additional notable items might be high fidelity steam locos, 2600 class AEC DMU and B101 Sulzer class loco, but that's a bit of a shopping list.

Not exactly "odd" per se, but look at the price someone wants for a Doyle/Hirsch 1st edition: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Locomotives-and-Rolling-Stock-of-the-Coras-Iompair-Ei-Book-condition-good/353102835927?epid=87420448&hash=item523691b0d7:g:O3IAAOSwSU5e4PtP

I know there's a 3rd edition still doing the rounds on Amazon at £50 but £180 seems a bit much! I don't think I paid anymore than £12.50 for any of the three editions.

1 minute ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Or whisky ;) I think that's liable to make one even more receptive to certain aspects of railway modelling stock!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

I don't want to throw the thread off-topic too much, but I often wondered what Mk 2s and Mk 3s (and even Mk 4s!) would have looked like in 1960/70s black'n'tan!

I'm so tempted to respray a 201 or at least an 071 in B&T livery just for the fun of it and to raise a few eyebrows at exhibitions and on club layouts

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Noel said:

€150 per coach for Lima in an unpopular prototypical livery?

Wouldnt say unpopular Noel, MM had 2 sets commissioned and they flew off the shelves
Love to see one in a rake of IC Mk2d's, always a conversation spot at shows
Although €150 a pop is a bit ott
But someone is willing to pay it, cant remember the last set to sell on the Bay?

• Informative 1

23 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Wouldnt say unpopular Noel, MM had 2 sets commissioned and they flew off the shelves
Love to see one in a rake of IC Mk2d's, always a conversation spot at shows
Although €150 a pop is a bit ott
But someone is willing to pay it, cant remember the last set to sell on the Bay?

Hi Dave, I was more referring to the unattractive look of the prototype than the models. IE must have changed their minds about rebranding all their coach liveries after the arrival of the 201s in 1994 and just these galway sets got the matching ugly 201 livery.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Murphy-Models-Mark-2-Generator-coach-5601-IE-Galway-livery-Iarnrod-Eireann/114248350382?hash=item1a99bb7aae:g:ttEAAOSw63Re2RDr

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Murphy-Models-Mark-2-coach-5217-IE-Intercity-black-roof-Iarnrod-Eireann/114248310393?hash=item1a99bade79:g:A-EAAOSweFhe2Qxt

Amazed people are actually bidding on these high prices. I don't understand the EGV @ €197 cause you can buy a new one from Marks for €56 and respray it into IE/IR Tippex orange roof, or black roof livery. . . . and €120 for a single standard mk2d coach. Are we not living in uncertain economic times?

The same seller has two listings of Piko timber wagons:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164243429871

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164243432918

Whats the feeling about these wagons?
I know they are HO but do you think they are reflective of our own timbers, and when running can the difference in scale be clearly seen?
Would look nicer with the yellow painted on top of the stauncions methinks? I think even I could master that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

I know they are HO but do you think they are reflective of our own timbers, and when running can the difference in scale be clearly seen?
Would look nicer with the yellow painted on top of the stauncions methinks? I think even I could master that.

Dave ,they are the nearest type of wagon to the Irish rail version, I have seven and with some minor alterations they are fine,

The stauntions need to be painted at the top and moved to accommodate five bays of timber, which can be easily done,I also added ladders to the ends and steps,

The wagons need to be toned down to a brownish colour rather than the red livery on these but are excellent runners,

I am working on some timber loads as the ones that are supplied don t really look the part,hence why my rake always have operated empty so far.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 6:54 AM, WRENNEIRE said:

and located in your neck on the woods too...

44 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Worth a look - he’s got a Leinster models ‘Maedbh’ amongst other things. I bought a coach kit in an earlier auction and he refunded some postage which was rather decent. Must have been some collection - he seems to have had at least one of everything produced by Alphagraphix and North Star! 

• Like 1

All the more reason for either a re-run by MM or a newer updated model released by either MM or IRM. Lots more Irish railway modellers exist these days since these locos were first released back in 2007/8.

They were excellent models when they were released and still are good models, but most of the MM 141/181's are displaying an unsightly gap between the cab fronts and the underframe at this stage and there is also the strange expanding cab sides issue where the cab protrudes over the underframe on either one or both sides of the cab(s). Not sure what causes these issues, but from experience, once you removed the cabs and main body to insert sound etc., the cabs never really sat back into place correctly. However, these issues also exist on models that have never been used and stored in their boxes since purchased, so could be a design flaw of sorts as similar issues do not exist on the 071 Class locos which have a similar cab design, albeit made by a different factory.

• Like 1