Quick Wishlist Survey

Rate this topic

Noel

Below just for fun is a very quick simple 'wishlist survey' for 00 gauge RTR Irish models. Forgive as I'm sure I've probably ommitted some obvious prototypes. Existing RTR stock have not been included for obvious reasons. There's only few questions which you can rank in order of your preferences and to speed up answers you can drag or slide answers vertically.  It should only take a few mins to complete. Poll will remain open until Sunday night. Survey results will be published on FaceBook and here.  Have fun. Thanks. Noel

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DQZHN3M?fbclid=IwAR2dIMbyrhy00IBajKwJjsKyw91fL3vNWTes2hVl2wZuC30iRWIR7W83dMs

• Like 2

I see little mention of steam era traction, particularly a saddle tank cobbled together Maunsell piece of goodness...well used to pilot duties.  There's a silent majority who like a Sambo, just saying. 

My colleagues have yet to be convinced, so thumbs up folks for " Make Sambo Great Again" - We can do this!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

This has to be one of the most pointless threads I have seen on here. It would make total sense if a manufacturer set up the survey.

Any chance Fran, Pat, Richie, Stephen can enlighten us as to when IRM will be producing a Deltic. Didn't think they ran in Ireland 

Rich,

4 hours ago, connollystn said:

Enjoyed filling out the survey. Hope my wish(list) comes through.

Thanks for taking the time.  It will be interesting to see what the results are. 

On 8/22/2019 at 1:43 AM, Glenderg said:

I see little mention of steam era traction, particularly a saddle tank cobbled together Maunsell piece of goodness...well used to pilot duties.  There's a silent majority who like a Sambo, just saying. 

My colleagues have yet to be convinced, so thumbs up folks for " Make Sambo Great Again" - We can do this!!!

OK, just not sure what a 'Great Sambo' Saddle tank is, but assume it might be an 0-4-0.

As for 'little mention' of steam era traction apologies if I appear to have got the balance wrong, however there are 5 steam era coach types, four steam era wagons types and four steam loco classes listed (ie along with the 7 diesels).

Thank you to the many who have already completed this brief wishlist survey. It will be open until sunday.

Nice little shot of Sambo, Ernie. Thank you for having such a fantastic collection out there and posting some of it as necessary to embellish the threads on here.

A couple of members really need to freaking grow up and quit the sniping. I am sooooo tired of it and it just lowers the tone so if you haven't something decent to say, please, some forbearance (or a lot) would go a long way (and having suppressed that request for months, I shall now also do the same again).

Although Richie and I seem to share an interest in interest in oddball/rarer stuff, I think that silent majority must be geographically confined, and if anyone were to produce a steamie, I'd much prefer to see a 400 class for the mainline, GSWR/MGWR derived 4-4-0/ 0-6-0 to master running characteristics or whatever to get that ball rolling. There might be a silent following for Pat on the Cork coaling gantry too (just sayin', like!). And much as I'd love to see an 800 class, if that didn't fit with a reasonable numbers of modelers layouts, like I said, I'd be very happy with one of the aforementioned others.... tuppence 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 3

Jaysus Dive I thought Boutros Boutros Ghali had come back to life. You live in the states don't you. We should nominate you for the Nobel Peace Prize you could be added  to the list of recent winners, Obama, Gore, and Jimmy Carter.😁

I still can't see how a Deltic is included in that list seeing that it is aimed at modelling the Irish scene.

Rich,

• Like 1

Looking at rtr Irish steam loco I think a GNR Compound or an 800 Class is more likely to be a commercial success & feasible to produce than a 400 Class or Sambo

A Compound or Vs and 800 Class tick the box in terms of large flagship steam locos, with names and colourful liveries,a GNR  loco possibly has the edge in terms of demand compared to a Southern engine. Traditionally there has been greater level of interest among modellers in the GNR than CIE during the steam age, particularly among modellers in Northern Ireland and Great Britain.

An accurate rtr model of a 400 Class would be more challenging to produce than 800, a Compound or even a Vs. The Beyer Peacocke and GNR GA drawings still exist and are accessible for the GNR locos while GSR 800 Class GA and diagrams may exist in the IRRS archive, above all both 800 & 85 still exist and should be accessible for scanning.

The main challenge in producing an reasonably accurate model of a 400 is obtaining accurate information and deciding which specific variation of the class to produce. There was considerable detail variation between the prototype 400 and the Inchacore and Armstrong Whitworth production versions of the class as introduced in its original form, in-service modifications and subsequent rebuilding in two cylinder form.

The re-built locos basically break down into 3 subclasses with significant visual variation, before the GSR re-built the class with larger boilers in the 1930s resulting in a minimum of 6 sets of toolings to model the 7 rebuilt 400 class than survived into CIE days & 3 sets of tender toolings. 

Although it does not exactly fit in with my current modelling interest I would probably by a rtr Vs in GNR blue as I have a vague memory of a large blue steam loco with smoke a long express passenger train crossing Gormonstown Viaduct at speed duringa childhood trip to the seaside.

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, mphoey said:

funny went to do the survey and its closed and its only sunday evening not night

agreed not a member either results should have been here where the survey was done

Sorted please see above this post

1 hour ago, StevieB said:

My attempt to view the results were met with a request to join the group! What’s the next step?

Stephen

Result images now posted above this post

1 hour ago, Railer said:

Can't see as not a member.

Sorted please see above this post

• Thanks 1

May I please just ask how these results are to be interpreted?

It seems like 69 people responded to the survey but each person could cast one vote  (I am most looking forward to this... and done) or as many votes as there were options to respond to (I most like this, then my second/third/fourth choices would be X,Y,Z etc).

If all the votes are represented on this bar chart without some weighting system (1st choice vote weighted as 20, second choice 15, third choice 12 etc) then  a 5th choice vote would represent the same degree of interest in a model as a first choice vote and might explain the relatively 'flat' nature to the results you posted if you see what I mean.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedRich said:

Two answers for IRM producing a Deltic. No guesses for who voted for that.

Rich,

Not guilty m’lud! Didn’t participate as felt my biased picks would reflect what we have in the pipeline and would negatively impact on it as a result. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Funny 1

38 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Not guilty m’lud! Didn’t participate as felt my biased picks would reflect what we have in the pipeline and would negatively impact on it as a result. 

Cheers!

Fran

I know man it's mental that somebody actually voted for it. I reckon it was these two telling the world, to hell with it I wear a skirt and am proud of it.😃

$.jpg