Weedsprayer Pack Now In Stock!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

2.thumb.jpg.eefaf2a159db953bb144d2ae7374dd14.jpg

Our highly anticipated weed spray set is now in stock in time to signal the final days of the prototype in service on the network! 

IE's weed spray train has been an essential infrastructure service for many years, operating every May across the entire IE network (including closed lines) to keep weed growth under control. In latter years it has also operated in September due to a change in the chemicals used.

3.thumb.jpg.ddc206b8e0c5e30b28a14a4a8a06e0c9.jpg

The prototype train switched from 20ft flats to 42ft flats in the mid 2000s with the introduction of the modified BR van. Operation was usually with a 141 and latterly an 071 with a very occasional 201 providing haulage. 

More recently the weed spray wagons have been paired with the larger sperry container wagon for brake force on its track recording missions across the network.

10.thumb.jpg.ce24ed97ded71c4f680bf0e29093e60a.jpg

Our weed spray pack features the three 42ft flat wagons with the distinctive weed spray tanks and a single CIE 20ft container used for storage of supplies. The tanks used were re-purposed from four wheeled tank wagons featuring the distinctive Bulleid triangulated underframes. 

13.thumb.jpg.3605b7d082dac67aa602a536ca898688.jpg

This set is finished off with a 20ft container finished in a darker brown shade to reflect the darkened state of the prototype in service. 

As you can now expect from our models, the weed spray pack features a high level of detail and prototype fidelity to do these interesting prototypes justice! the diecast framed wagons feature sprung buffers, kinematic couplings with NEM pockets at correct height (and separate coupling bars provided for close coupling) as well as weighty tanks and container. 

8.thumb.jpg.c174b9ddb802628e8549994026f15a69.jpg

We are still looking at producing the weed spray van, but as it is such a unique vehicle it is very hard to justify a RTR model. Thankfully there are models of this van already available in model form.

12.thumb.jpg.2935b044fc9d720bf1de9f166a09c469.jpg

The weed spray pack is now in stock and available for €150 for the three wagons. An essential pack for any layout based over the last 15 years of operation, this self contained short train is perfect for haulage behind your 141 or 071 models.

Production is limited so make sure you place an order quickly for immediate dispatch here before they go! Place your order by clicking here. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 14
  • WOW! 1

Well done again lads. Lovely looking model. The "42' era of operation" is too late for me but I've ordered a set anyway. I can re-purpose the flats in a normal liner train of the day and use the loads on 20' flats, whether they be kit built or perhaps even from your good selves as RTR, hint hint 😉

It would be great if someone could identify a source for a "dangerous chemicals" transfer so I can convert one of my IRM CIE containers as the mid 90's train seemed to have two containers usually.

• Like 1

ah Lads!................after me forking out this morning for the 121's........................looks great tho and the price is alright and ye wont be doing another run of these anytime soon...............

there'll be much hummin and hawing in the Edo household tonight...........

''

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RobertRoche said:

Excellent I was really looking forward to this one!! Great pricing also. 

Thanks Robert, we tried to keep the prices on these as keen as possible! 

19 minutes ago, DoctorPan said:

Oh now that's a tasty pricing. Order placed!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there mention of etched plates coming with this pack to represent the warning boards the locos wear?

Thanks for the order. The headboards are not included but believe Studio Scale Models offer them.

1 minute ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Would those tanks happen to be the same as those on the the oil wagons, for a future release???

They were modified for weedspray use, but you never know!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3

As was mentioned before release, will these have the hoses for between the wagon connections? Big shame about the lack of a van. If I knew that was coming I'd be all over these straight away. I have a SF version but I'd rather not run it next to these. 

Also, for those modeling this set in the last 4 years of it's life will need to paint the end of the container yellow.

Edited by Railer
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Railer said:

As we mentioned before release, will these have the hoses for between the wagon connections? Big shame about the lack of a van. If I knew that was coming I'd be all over these straight away. I have a SF version but I'd rather not run it next to these. 

Also, for those modeling this set in the last 4 years of it's life will need to paint the end of the container yellow.

agree on van cant remember if the silverfox one is even correct for it as there are 2 different types also the hoses are there we can see them on the tanks but not showing between wagons

17 minutes ago, Railer said:

As was mentioned before release, will these have the hoses for between the wagon connections? Big shame about the lack of a van. If I knew that was coming I'd be all over these straight away. I have a SF version but I'd rather not run it next to these. 

Any pics of the container?

The footplate grill panels over the buffers would have been a nice touch too. IRM seem to have changed direction in customer feed back. You used to release a decorated sample, get feed back and make changes but now it's all inhouse and a release out of blue.

After all the detail on the plough vans these, I'm sorry to say look a bit of a let down from the norm. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Railer said:

Hi Grahham,

We would need to make 1000 of the vans as a minimum, which is a totally unique tooling. We do not have 1000 customers for IRM, or anywhere near. It's a completely unique body compared to other vans. As we saw with the plough vans these niche items dont seem to sell and we are a business at the end of the day. the outer hoses were left off as they would've caused derailments around curves. 

We modelled the container in original condition as it was longer lived and it is easier to add the panel than remove it and match paint. Both are prototypically correct. 

6 minutes ago, Railer said:

The footplate grill panels over the buffers would have been a nice touch too. IRM seem to have changed direction in customer feed back. You used to release a decorated sample, get feed back and make changes but now it's all inhouse and a release out of blue.

After all the detail on the plough vans these, I'm sorry to say look a bit of a let down from the norm. 

The 42 project cost a small fortune to tool and the grills would have caused all the other wagons in the series to be incorrect with mounting points etc., so we had to make a call. Would be a nice area for some etching manufacturer to offer components perhaps. 

We are sorry you are disappointed with these, but it does seem to be a highlighting of very small areas. Totally understand if they're not for you but many others are speaking very positively of them. 

We have had much feedback complaining of long lead times, now we release something to buy straight off the bat and we get more complaining. We really just cant win.

Thanks,

Fran

• Like 15

22 minutes ago, Railer said:

IRM seem to have changed direction in customer feed back. You used to release a decorated sample, get feed back and make changes but now it's all inhouse and a release out of blue.

Agreed, it would be nice to provide feedback and questions as part of the development process. The knowledge of the community is a differentiating factor for IRM I think and should be leveraged. It makes IRM models different from other manufacturers.

Would have welcomed the chance to say I would be reticent to buy without the van being available also. As a collector rather than a modeller, not being able to complete a set is a major issue. For example the lack of extra unpowered wagons for the auto ballasters from Marks still annoys me. And before you say it, yes, I know OCD, first world problem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

Agreed, it would be nice to provide feedback and questions as part of the development process. The knowledge of the community is a differentiating factor for IRM I think and should be leveraged. It makes IRM models different from other manufacturers.

Would have welcomed the chance to say I would be reticent to buy without the van being available also. As a collector rather than a modeller, not being able to complete a set is a major issue. For example the lack of extra unpowered wagons for the auto ballasters from Marks still annoys me. And before you say it, yes, I know OCD, first world problem.

The original first EP of the weedsprayer was shown here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/blogs/announcements/first-project-42-sample-arrives also shared on the forum.

There is a van for this set already available from Silver Fox models. We were honest and up front from the outset that doing the van will be very difficult. If you read back over my opening post it states that we have not ruled it out yet, but it is very difficult to do. We have been honest  about this from the beginning and any level of debate cannot alter the facts of this matter.

With a van available from Silver Fox you can now complete a weedspray train. I think people are looking at this from a glass half empty viewpoint. Thankfully there are many who are looking at it from a glass half full viewpoint and 25% of the production run has sold since announcement. Thank you to everyone who has purchased and supported us so far!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Warbonnet said:

We a van available you can now complete a weedspray train. I think people are looking at this from a glass half empty viewpoint.

Fran

Fran,

I'm just saying as a loyal purchaser as you can see from my orders, I'm simply saying completeness is important to me and I believe others.

We are all addicted to the level of detail you guys have consistently delivered and having seen the Silverfox model it is nowhere near IRM quality, they are not comparable. 

If you can deliver a van then great, I'm in. Just my preference.

• Like 1

Maybe get people to put their money where their mouths is and set up a pay in advance order scheme for the van. If the required number of orders is not reached, then people either get their money back or can transfer the money to pay for another IRM item or items.

Weedspray wagons look excellent, and is a very niche item also for the IRM guys to release.

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Just now, Wexford70 said:

Fran,

I'm just saying as a loyal purchaser as you can see from my orders, I'm simply saying completeness is important to me and I believe others.

We are all addicted to the level of detail you guys have consistently delivered and having seen the Silverfox model it is nowhere near IRM quality, they are not comparable. 

If you can deliver a van then great, I'm in. Just my preference.

Hi Wexford70,

We always appreciate your custom, along with everyone who purchases from us. I understand your point of view, but if we made the vans and were unable to sell half of them and the price was astronomical as it was such a small run (which it would be, we're looking at at least €150!) then IRM would be sunk and that would be that. I wish it wasnt the reality, but it is sadly.

As I said, we're trying out best to resolve it.

Thanks,

Fran

• Like 6

My understanding was that the plough vans were IRM almost doing us, the community, a favour. I bought some just to support IRM, even though I have only three ballast wagons to run with them. Missed out on the ballast wagons first time around.

IRM have been pretty clear on the forum about the cost, availability and demand of stuff which would be in small runs, like the plough vans, the brake vans, the weed-spray van, as they have with what's on the way, ie the "Project 42" thread.

We can always hope for a high spec van at some stage in the future, but the plough van run kind of proves the point on limited runs. They're still available both from IRM and from Marks Models. You can't have another non-profit run when the last one hasn't even sold out yet.

I'm delighted to see the weedspray train released asis, and with the hints and possibilities for what lies ahead.

Thank you for what you guys do!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DJ Dangerous said:

My understanding was that the plough vans were IRM almost doing us, the community, a favour. I bought some just to support IRM, even though I have only three ballast wagons to run with them. Missed out on the ballast wagons first time around.

IRM have been pretty clear on the forum about the cost, availability and demand of stuff which would be in small runs, like the plough vans, the brake vans, the weed-spray van, as they have with what's on the way, ie the "Project 42" thread.

We can always hope for a high spec van at some stage in the future, but the plough van run kind of proves the point on limited runs. They're still available both from IRM and from Marks Models. You can't have another non-profit run when the last one hasn't even sold out yet.

I'm delighted to see the weedspray train released asis, and with the hints and possibilities for what lies ahead.

Thank you for what you guys do!

Nail, meet head! 

5 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

Maybe get people to put their money where their mouths is and set up a pay in advance order scheme for the van. If the required number of orders is not reached, then people either get their money back or can transfer the money to pay for another IRM item or items.

Weedspray wagons look excellent, and is a very niche item also for the IRM guys to release.

Basically everyone would have to buy at least 2 (and some of you 3) of the weedspray vans to make it viable currently. It has one livery and you only need one, so why would anyone buy one or two circa €150 coaches they dont need? That's the reality I'm afraid, Noel! If we can work something out we may do something like this. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5

Fantastic models guys. I remember the days when I used to operate four plastic boxes painted with the CIE 'Supertrain' livery 'round an oval track and thought it was the bees knees - it was a real test of my imagination. We've come a long way since then, only people my age or older would remember the dark ages of Irish railway modelling. Thanks again lads [IRM] for doing all the hard work in researching and producing such spectacular models.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another way of looking at things is that we're 90% closer to a highly detailed weedspayer train then we were yesterday.

My only niggle (and it's a minor niggle at that) I do enjoy the long run times and preordering, as it gives me a chance to spend my pennies over time then one lump sum but at the same time I can rest easy now, knowing all that's due shortly is the nearly paid off 121s and my paid As. 

• Like 5

Fran

Don't take it personally ( I know easier said than done).............there always be one of us whinging and carping about something ...........its what we do................it could be worse😁

I know the economics of what ye guys are trying to do and the basic truth that Accurascale makes IRM possible and the best that IRM can do is sell out to make the next gig possible.

Anyway - I'll be having one - probably tomorrow - the dog goes on Ebay when I get home - I hear Labradors with a peperami addiction are going for great money thesedays!

Edited by Edo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, Edo said:

Fran

Don't take it personally ( I know easier said than done).............there always be one of us whinging and carping about something ...........its what we do................it could be worse😁

I know the economics of what ye guys are trying to do and the basic truth that Accurascale makes IRM possible and the best that IRM can do is sell out to make the next gig possible.

Anyway - I'll be having one - probably tomorrow - the dog goes on Ebay when I get home - I hear Labradors with a peperami addiction are going for great money thesedays!

Hi Edo,

Many thanks. I dont take it personally and everyone has their view which is what it's all about. I just think it's important to explain where IRM are coming from and it's important to remember where the hobby was a few years ago compared to now (not to blow IRMs own trumpet or anything!) If we're not sensible then it's game over and the hobby will be poorer for it.

Dont sacrifice the lab though, not when they have faces like they do! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 6

Well done yet again the high standards continue and a pack has been duly ordered,

I would have liked to see the spray coach 3187 form part of the set but I fully understand the reasoning behind your decision as you have quite rightly pointed out above,

The Silver fox model with some minor modifications and weathering is an ideal companion for this set. :tumbsup:

Thank you IRM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it wasn't for MM & IRM I would be modelling a different country. I don't have enough hours left in my life to kit build the amount of rolling stock I will need for the layout I have in mind. The poster above who said that we now have 90% of a weed spray train rather than 0% yesterday is spot on. IRM needs time to prudently develop the market. In a few years they might have (primarily through AS) increased the foreign markets enough to come back and be able to safely do the van or whatever without betting the farm on it.

• Like 4