Weedsprayer Pack Now In Stock!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Is the coach the same as the one that's missing from the RPSI Cravens sets?

no 2 different 3173 is the rpsi one 3185 is the other out of service and the weedspray is 3187  

ive added the drawings of both types of van to show the differences

3171 to 3176.jpg

3177 to 3192.jpg

Edited by mphoey
extra info
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

Fran,

I'm just saying as a loyal purchaser as you can see from my orders, I'm simply saying completeness is important to me and I believe others.

We are all addicted to the level of detail you guys have consistently delivered and having seen the Silverfox model it is nowhere near IRM quality, they are not comparable. 

If you can deliver a van then great, I'm in. Just my preference.

The loads above look superb. I'm sure many folk are interested in this PW train and will delight in same. Class again.

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ir-ie-weed-van/

The lack of satisfaction some special people experienced with this SF van may have been responsible for triggering and inspiring far more than we'll ever know nor appreciate. The 3 chemical tanker wagons above looks superb and will enable folks who acquire, build, or kit bash the actual weed spray van to run an interesting PW train. Totally understand the numbers issue surrounding the practicality of producing the weed spray part of this train. The tanker loads produced above for the 42ft flat wagons look superb and sit well with the CIE container. What next from this stable now that project 42 has been completed? B101 Sulzer, Park Royals, mk3s, CAF mk4 sets??? Looking forward in due course to announcements about future plans.

SF coach below looks rather fisher price and toy plastikie.

image.thumb.png.5c7a1c66bc5c782a8ded0001ea16f9df.png

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DoctorPan said:

And of course the final word from me on the coach. If enough of us order the SF coach and start detailing it, Murphy's Law will have to kick in and Fran and the lads will annouce a RTR one!

bigger issue  is does silver fox still have enough stock plus also as fran said it would probably be 150 a proper weedspraying coach we are paying 85 stg plus post for the silver fox variant as it is 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoctorPan said:

And of course the final word from me on the coach. If enough of us order the SF coach and start detailing it, Murphy's Law will have to kick in and Fran and the lads will annouce a RTR one!

Richie will sort you out with this.....:tumbsup:

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, StevieB said:

The spray coach was converted from one of the BGSV’s which was originally a BR BSK, whereas the RPSI BGSV started life as a BR BCK.

Any chance of a second version of the spray tanks in their original form on 20’ 0” flats?

Stephen

3173 our current GSV, was started out as a BCK however 3185 is a former BSK like 3187

• Like 1

18 hours ago, iarnrod said:

It's probably best that the picture is fuzzy.

Hi 

I have had  NIR hunslet, C Class from John and excellent productions, so indeed a shame pic fuzzy . At £43 for a kit not a bad punt  to save filler time but looking forward to the RTR version...   Ordered pack just now  and could repaint  a Old lima BG in yellow as it was over length IIRC .. while waiting.    

Robert 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Excellent, thanks for that, Now which RAL?

Not too far off topic but BR / RT/ NR have five RAL warning yellows  in the "ok " range today. Who would be a manufacturer.  The yellow is less lemon than the loco but brighter than coach and tanks - the tanks are very faded and dirty anyway.  The coach suffers from chemical attrition due to overspray and age  so this photo shows four differing yellows on a bright day...     so good luck  on that one

RAL 1004 is golden Yellow  and shows on several plan paint listings for class 66s  FWIW. 

Best not mention scale colour at this point.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi 

I have had  NIR hunslet, C Class from John and excellent productions, so indeed a shame pic fuzzy . At £43 for a kit not a bad punt  to save filler time but looking forward to the RTR version...   Ordered pack just now  and could repaint  a Old lima BG in yellow as it was over length IIRC .. while waiting.    

Robert 

Each to their own, I suppose. If you are happy with your Silver Fox purchases and they meet your needs, that's great.

However, the concensus of many other modellers is that they are inaccurate. The cab shape on their A and C Class locos has the totally wrong profile. Their weedspray van gives a very general appearance when viewed from a distance of the real thing, but on closer inspection, doesn't really pass the accuracy test, and would appear rather insufficient alongside the highly detailed weedspray wagons that IRM have released.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

Each to their own, I suppose. If you are happy with your Silver Fox purchases and they meet your needs, that's great.

However, the concensus of many other modellers is that they are inaccurate. The cab shape on their A and C Class locos has the totally wrong profile. Their weedspray van gives a very general appearance when viewed from a distance of the real thing, but on closer inspection, doesn't really pass the accuracy test, and would appear rather insufficient alongside the highly detailed weedspray wagons that IRM have released.

Personally I was happy and content with the following SF models that were acquired over the years. They represented value for what they were given that there was no alternative. Perhaps better to have a reasonable representation of a prototype than nothing at all. Back in the day there were no suppliers of Irish vans. They are what they are and I am more than content with them as are obviously the many modellers who have bought their kits and models in the past. The only headache I ever had was the 'orrible hornby railroad chassis used in one of the A classes, but that is currently being reengined with a spare 071 class chassis from a damaged model that I picked up on ebay some years ago. Academic now as the highly anticipated IRM/AS A classes should be upon us in time for Christmas or early in the new year. The A class will be IRM's moment of crowning glory, yet I'm sure they have bigger plans for the future. This is only the beginning.

• AEC ex2600 class DVT
  • A 001 class kit x 2
  • C 201 class kit x 2
  • B 101 class kit x 1
  • GSV BR mk1 BSK x 1 (RTR)
  • GSV Dutch x 2 (RTR)
  • GSV Dutch kit x 1
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, Mayner said:

I am planning to use the tanks as a basis for the tank wagons built by CIE in the late 50s early 60, looks like a matter of cutting off the ISO twistlock frame extensions,  designing and installing suitable running gear

Fuel Oil Docks.jpg

i wonder before you do that is there a plan for it

15 hours ago, Mayner said:

I am planning to use the tanks as a basis for the tank wagons built by CIE in the late 50s early 60, looks like a matter of cutting off the ISO twistlock frame extensions,  designing and installing suitable running gear

Fuel Oil Docks.jpg

Excellent idea,  but would suspect (as does mphoey) that since IRM have already done the work of producing the tank it would make sense for them to use it again and produce this wagon.

What length was this wagon and what was the wheelbase, and is there a RTR chassis available? 

• Like 1

Heljan already produce these tank wagons in 4mm scale. Same as the tanks used on ESSO North Wall-Sligo & (Oranmore) Claremorris oil trains.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/203086/heljan_1154_4_wheel_a_tank_44290_in_esso_grey_with_1980s_hazchem_symbols_weathered/stockdetail.aspx

The Class B wagons are the correct size for the Irish wagons if I remember correctly; the Class A wagons were longer in length so unprototypical for the Irish wagons.

Previous IRM thread here

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ironroad said:

Excellent idea,  but would suspect (as does mphoey) that since IRM have already done the work of producing the tank it would make sense for them to use it again and produce this wagon.

What length was this wagon and what was the wheelbase, and is there a RTR chassis available? 

Personally I will probably get more enjoyment out of re-building at least one of the tanks back into its original state as a wagon, than waiting in the expectation of IRM producing a rtr model, I also need to design a 21mm gauge w iron assembly suitable for other wagons with triangulated underframes.

One of the attractions of the conversion is that IRM have completed the really difficult work in modelling the tank anchors and triangulated underframe.

The wagons were originally built on a standard 16'11" 10' wb triangulated underframe similar to the corrugated opens and later H vans. The wagons were converted into de-mountable tanks during the late 70s for use with the new weedspray train. These wagons were smaller in capacity and quite different in design to the tank wagons built by CIE from the mid 1960s onwards and the Class A & B Charles Robetrs tank wagons imported for ESSO oil traffic during the late 1960s

• Like 2

Wow Mine just arrived a few mins ago, Close call, the missus out doing the messages. Smashing bit of kit when stuck behind a Loco.

Tiny bottom part of the bogie axle cover was flying around in the box, took me a while to figure what that actually was until I saw the exploded view on the back of the leaflet included and a brake wheel broken off so must of had some knocks during transit. No have to get the glue out to fix and to have a play at lunchtime.

Fair play top notch stuff IRM dudes.

• Like 4

PH Designs back in 2010 did the GSV etch overlays - not in stock at this time Peter has just let me know but is getting a price for me next week  so these might give a good way of making the control vehicle.

My pack arrived today and a big thanks to all involved - great models crying out to be weathered.  Gives something to wrap around the Sperry while faffing with a control coach, given advice above I will be able to finish it without fear of the rtr one coming  along shortly after....

Robert