Original ICR model

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

4 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

I know a man......
I think the scale is 1:144 similar to these 2
They were presented to members of the teams that were involved in the ordering and purchasing of the originals

image.jpeg.2f986dbb83cef58fc9741386ff652e76.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.609c9607b1f8a1b23ec39695bfe410f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.afdb34a073638ee25f6014d76de1e549.jpeg

1:144 is not far off British N Scale at 1:148

I  wonder whether the Huyandi-Rotem IC railcar samples are to 1:144 or an established model railway scale.

It's a fair bit of expense to go to, producing the tooling for these and paying for their assembly, just to hand out as souvenirs, though I suppose in relation to the total contract value it's buttons. Nice touch all the same. I wonder how many of each would typically be produced. Would these be made by established model makers in China I wonder?

16 hours ago, Rob said:

A sad day 😀😀😀

Don't worry loco hauled trains will return whenever electrification occurs here. With our weather I'd bet on 3rd rail rather than overhead from a maintenance and capital cost point of view. Lovely model even if the prototype is not my personal cup of tea. Looks sort of N gauge. Presume they are static displays and not motorised, at least not at that low price.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Don't worry loco hauled trains will return whenever electrification occurs here. With our weather I'd bet on 3rd rail rather than overhead from a maintenance and capital cost point of view. Lovely model even if the prototype is not my personal cup of tea. Looks sort of N gauge. Presume they are static displays and not motorised, at least not at that low price.

Hope you don't mind losing your bet, offical policy for Electrification has been OHLE since the introduction of the DART project plus 3rd Rail is unacceptable from a safety POV, in the UK, ORR has prohibited any further expansion of 3rd rail electrifiction because of the unacceptable safety risks it poses.

Also Irish Rail is not going to return to loco hauled trains with electification, it's the stated public policy of CME Peter Smyth that the Enterpise might retain it's loco in the next form but the rest of IE services are intended to go MU and locos exiled to PW, frieght and railtour duties.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Pigs will fly. Sounds more like what you'd like to see.

It'll be EMUs, something like the 800s in Britain. 071s and 201s will hold the roster for locos on freight, PW and departmental work for a good while, after that probably some standard electric loco to fill those roles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Could electric locomotives haul currently loco hauled sets?

Hypothetically they could, yes; albeit with some adjustment, perhaps, to various connections. The De Deitrichs are actually an adaptation of a design originally intended for electric haulage.

However, as others suggest, I believe the future of railways here is hybrids at least, or more likely in the very long term, once the technology is suitable, battery-electric. Dr. Drumm was WAY ahead of his time.

Distances in Ireland are short by international standards. Freight traffic is small, and since these trains operate in almost permanently fixed formations, battery-electric freight multiple units would seem to be the logical way forward - and that's if there will be any freight at all in the future. Despite all the fine talk, the NTA's attitude to rail freight seems to be a carbon copy of the UTA in the 1960s.  NTA, UTA, same.

Thus, expect to see the Irish Rail network in years to become as NIR is now, has been, and will be for evermore. Amen. Railcar heaven; a 5 fut 3 Luas. Maintenance by increasingly sophisticated yellow things, rather than loco-hauled maintenance trains.

Therefore, I agree with the post above that the 071s and 201s will carry on, probably until the last of them falls to bits or they can't get spare parts. I doubt there will be a new fleet of locos of any hue, to be honest. Not complaining or praising such an idea; just stating what appears to me to be the obvious, whether any of us like it or not......... an evolving modern railway is better than none at all.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Niles said:

Whether it will come to pass or not is quite another thing, but the 2040 Freight Strategy refers to hybrid locos being sought to replace the 071s towards the end of the decade.

I'm calling it now, 5'3 gauge Vectrons... 😁

Hope it will happen, would be delighted to see new loco's arrive 😀

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Niles said:

Whether it will come to pass or not is quite another thing, but the 2040 Freight Strategy refers to hybrid locos being sought to replace the 071s towards the end of the decade.

I'm calling it now, 5'3 gauge Vectrons... 😁

Possibly a variant of the Stadler Eurodual https://www.stadlerrail.com/en/products/detail-all/eurodual/40/, though whether the Irish Government would be prepared to fund electrifying the lines that actually or could potentially carry freight traffic and generate the electricity from a renewable source is another question.

After looking at a number of options including sourcing locos from China and the United States Kiwi Rail recently (2021) placed an order with Stadler for 57 main line diesels (with Caterpillar (EMD) engines) to replace the South Island fleet. https://www.railjournal.com/locomotives/kiwirail-awards-stadler-locomotive-framework-agreement/ The Kiwirail order is based on the AsiaLight model with similar axle load limits to current IE locos.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Possibly a variant of the Stadler Eurodual https://www.stadlerrail.com/en/products/detail-all/eurodual/40/, though whether the Irish Government would be prepared to fund electrifying the lines that actually or could potentially carry freight traffic and generate the electricity from a renewable source is another question.

After looking at a number of options including sourcing locos from China and the United States Kiwi Rail recently (2021) placed an order with Stadler for 57 main line diesels (with Caterpillar (EMD) engines) to replace the South Island fleet. https://www.railjournal.com/locomotives/kiwirail-awards-stadler-locomotive-framework-agreement/ The Kiwirail order is based on the AsiaLight model with similar axle load limits to current IE locos.

And there's already a model available!

https://www.todomodelismo.es/es/próximos-lanzamientos-h0/635-s1591011-locomotora-stadler-eurodual-de-modo-dual-en-captrain-ho-sudexpress.html

• Like 1