You Can't Beat A Bit of Bulleid - Open Wagons Next For IRM

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Great news that the Bulleid open wagons are being produced R-T-R by irm, they will be something special. However my own tuppence worth in this was the sheer enjoyment got from building Leslie's kits (staples an all ). Congrats well deserved to both IRM and Leslie.👍

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ironroad said:

They had a 10' wheelbase,  17' long, and 20' over buffers.

Twelve ton H vans  were built on the triangulated chassis  (from circa 1953), and probably Palvans (circa 1964) beyond that I'm clueless and and I'm also very interested to know what else the triangulated chassis was used for.

So they were 17' wagons and carried:

Single beet bodies.

H van bodies.

Palvan bodies.

Flat bodies.

Tank bodies, as per @Warbonnet's post here:

On 25/8/2020 at 11:47 AM, Warbonnet said:

Our weed spray pack features the three 42ft flat wagons with the distinctive weed spray tanks and a single CIE 20ft container used for storage of supplies. The tanks used were re-purposed from four wheeled tank wagons featuring the distinctive Bulleid triangulated underframes.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

23 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Does anyone have more details on the weedspray train's evolution from these triangulated chassis? Did the tanks get removed from the Bulleid wagons and placed directly onto the 42' flats or was there an intermediate 20' wagon used?

@Warbonnet said:

On 25/8/2020 at 11:47 AM, Warbonnet said:

The prototype train switched from 20ft flats to 42ft flats in the mid 2000s with the introduction of the modified BR van. Operation was usually with a 141 and latterly an 071 with a very occasional 201 providing haulage.

So it sounds like the tanks from the 17' Bulleid triangulated chassis were transferred to 20' Flats at some stage.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Received an email from IRM today saying that "pre-orders have been massive and some of the variants are approaching 50% sold already!"

No excuses and no sitting on the fence, get your plastic or your cheque book out and get splurging!

Also, @Warbonnet, you mis-spelled "beet" in the thread title.

😂😂😂😂😂

Just to remind it’s NO money down. So placing an order is 100% free, nothing to pay until in stock and cancel any time 👍👍

• 1 month later...
On 29/10/2023 at 3:34 PM, Noel said:

Logo was probably the manufacturer plate under the door. The letters CIE were on some of these plates.

Yes.

Like much of CIE tradition, and the GSR before, wagon makers / numberplates followed old GSWR Inchicore tradition.

So, in the later days of the GSWR, they changed from oval plates to the “D” shaped ones, with “G S W R” on them. The GSR simply copied this, using “G S R”, of course. In 1945 CIE did the same. 

CIE plates can still be seen everywhere. I wonder will we ever see the same type of plates with “I E” on them?

There are examples of these standard Inchicore plates with “N I R” on them, on PW bogies that were either built or modified in Inchicore.

• Informative 5

10 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Are those Bulleid open bodeis on the original triangulated underframes or on newer underframes?

Original - so, yes, the mix is available in model form. I see a few of Leslie's Provincial "H" vans in tere too, in this case probably to carry beet pulp. There's another brake van in the middle, so gawwd knows what's going on - was my first thought. But:

The then Wexford - Waterford goods had a guard's van at each end to save switching one from one end of the train to the other when it reversed at Rosslare strand. And the ferts have just ended up being added on somewhere.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 2

8 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Original - so, yes, the mix is available in model form. I see a few of Leslie's Provincial "H" vans in tere too, in this case probably to carry beet pulp. There's another brake van in the middle, so gawwd knows what's going on - was my first thought. But:

The then Wexford - Waterford goods had a guard's van at each end to save switching one from one end of the train to the other when it reversed at Rosslare strand. And the ferts have just ended up being added on somewhere.

At a guess maybe the ferts came down from Arklow on another service and were added in Wexford?

(Unless of course they're empties going back for Albatross in New Ross and were tripped from Waterford?).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Some Lovely shots on this thread that I have never seen before! thanks

it now pushing my thoughts into the 50's as the more interesting of the Era's to run on a layout!!

I would agree. It’s the only period where you such a huge variety of stock, plus both steam and diesel. Many, many one-off local operations like the two horse tramways (Fintona and Shannonvale); brand new modern diesel railcars, coaches, tin vans and wagons, operating not just alongside; but intermingled WITH, stock which in a large number of cases was pre-1900, even in a few cases pre-1880.

Some locos and rolling stock long predated the actual lines they were running on, while others were so new their classmates were still being built in Inchicore.

And with so many branch lines still open - even on the basis of a thrice-weekly goods and little else - you’ve a modelling prototype for anything.

And several narrow gauge lines are still operating. Donegal and West Clare railcars were able to glimpse new shiny tin vans and new “H” vans across the tracks at Strabane and Ennis.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for that. With an existing mix of Provincial Leslie’s Bullieds, and various wooden-bodied opens, as also seen in beet trains up to about 1971/2, and forthcoming IRM Bullieds, I will need this stuff!

At some stage I want to replicate the busiest of days at Dugort Harbour with the place choked with beet wagons, loaders, ramps for trucks, and the one-coach passenger train barely able to get in….

It isn’t so convincing with “laden” trains consisting of trucks as empty as the “empty” ones!

48 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Many thanks for that. With an existing mix of Provincial Leslie’s Bullieds, and various wooden-bodied opens, as also seen in beet trains up to about 1971/2, and forthcoming IRM Bullieds, I will need this stuff!

At some stage I want to replicate the busiest of days at Dugort Harbour with the place choked with beet wagons, loaders, ramps for trucks, and the one-coach passenger train barely able to get in….

It isn’t so convincing with “laden” trains consisting of trucks as empty as the “empty” ones!

There were days where so much beet was coming out of west cork every siding from courtmacsherry to Clonakilty junction. Was packed full of wagons 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

There were days where so much beet was coming out of west cork every siding from courtmacsherry to Clonakilty junction. Was packed full of wagons 

Indeed - a pattern repeated in many areas of the country.

Looking through Barry Carse's vast array of photos of beet operations a few years ago while selecting images for our last book, it was amazing to see what could still be witnessed even in the early years of this century - and that was but a tiny fraction of what was hauled in the 1950s and 60s.

• Like 3

On 17/2/2024 at 11:41 AM, Metrovik said:

So, having read all this, I'm guessing I should preorder a pack for my little 50s Branchline?

Very much so, and in the 60s they’re quite new, so clean and shiny too! Go for the ones with grey chassis - the brown chassis didn’t appear until well into the 1980s era. As Cathal says, in your chose era they’re mixed in with ordinary wooden opens, with perhaps a third of the open wagon fleet bring the new ones, the rest various types of wooden ones, mostly standard GSR but a handful of GSWR & MGWR examples too.

• Informative 1