ex BR mk2's

Rate this question

StevieB

Question

On 13/7/2021 at 2:35 PM, burnthebox said:

Hi & thanks, I’ve contacted the only motor factor that I know of, & that’s VINNY BYRNES, I contacted them about this paint colour & was told no, they don’t have any skin like colour paint in PRIMER...so up to now the only solution seems to be a mix of colours to get something usable but the point is it won’t be a PRIMER...

BTB  

Try independent motor factors for the Holts or Simoniz brands 

CB9F2762-B93B-42A4-B48F-85E6EE5DFAEA.jpeg

3C1456D4-6944-4C89-A47E-871D09EB6CA4.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, DJ Dangerous said:

Bumping this as @flange lubricator highlighted it in the thread on IRM's NIR Mk2 B/C announcement...

Some of us are waiting with baited breath to see if there'll be a surprise Christmas announcement on some IR / IE variants!

😂

Perhaps this might wet the apatite 202 at Portarlington with the Athlone ex Heuston summer 2003  the Coach behind the loco is 4112, the second coach is a Mk2c (Ex FO) the third coach is a MK2b ex(FK),

112 18062003 (3).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How do the new IRM Mk2 B/C's look when compared to the Bachmann Mk2A models from a few years ago?

Any chance of a sneak photo from @Warbonnet or @BosKonay?

As in, if somebody were brave enough to repaint an NIR coach into IR / IE livery, or if IRM were to launch and IR / IE range, would they look well when mixed together in a rake?

Looking at you, @murphaph!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

How do the new IRM Mk2 B/C's look when compared to the Bachmann Mk2A models from a few years ago?

As in, if somebody were brave enough to repaint an NIR coach into IR / IE livery, or if IRM were to launch and IR / IE range, would they look well when mixed together in a rake?

I dont own any of them, so kinda hard to do a side by side (and poor form from a manufacturers POV to be honest) You'll just have to compare and contrast when they arrive!

Cheers!

Fran 

If anyone can provide photos of former BR Mark 2B or Mark 2C coaches they may have in their collections we would love to see them!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

If anyone can provide photos of former BR Mark 2B or Mark 2C coaches they may have in their collections we would love to see them!

Here are a couple that I posted before of one of the MK2b FK buffet cars , interestingly enough 4106 Mk2c FO is still in existance at Kilmeadan and 4402 ex Mk2b FK at Moyasta.

440x mk2b.jpeg

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Perhaps this might wet the apatite 202 at Portarlington with the Athlone ex Heuston summer 2003  the Coach behind the loco is 4112, the second coach is a Mk2c (Ex FO) the third coach is a MK2b ex(FK),

112 18062003 (3).jpg

We've spoken about 4112 privately but I guess there will be a lot more interest in the discussion now that we might some day get an IRM RTR version of this oddball yoke!

It was you that put me on to the mk2d door swap that was done on it and the long CIE grab handles as opposed to the small ones. Also of note are the square biscuit tin shaped "GM" roof vents instead of roevac types. The early vintage of this particular mk2c is belied by its toilet windows which are from the 2b still rather than being the "AC" type fitted to most mk2c's including the coach directly behind it. Some early 2c's got the 2b toilet windows, presumably just using up the stock in Derby.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, murphaph said:

We've spoken about 4112 privately but I guess there will be a lot more interest in the discussion now that we might some day get an IRM RTR version of this oddball yoke!

It was you that put me on to the mk2d door swap that was done on it and the long CIE grab handles as opposed to the small ones. Also of note are the square biscuit tin shaped "GM" roof vents instead of roevac types. The early vintage of this particular mk2c is belied by its toilet windows which are from the 2b still rather than being the "AC" type fitted to most mk2c's including the coach directly behind it. Some early 2c's got the 2b toilet windows, presumably just using up the stock in Derby.

I think as they were building the coaches they were morphing from Mk2b into Mk 2c  4112 also has two roof hatches? , The vents are what were called 'GM vents' I belive very similar to what were on the cravens , most Mk2c had Roe Vac vents . Whatever chances we have of seeing some MK2b's and Mk2c's in IE/IR livery I doubt 4112 would be one of them as it a total oddball .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Side by side here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166677-mark-2b-by-accurascale-and-irm/&do=findComment&comment=4561662

This looks pretty damn good to me. The gangway is marginally higher on the sample but the bogie is warped very slightly too, so when that's rectified on the production models one would imagine they would be a near perfect match in terms of ride height. Very much looking forward to making up a rake of IR/IE ones like that some day. They will look fantastic together.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Side by side here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166677-mark-2b-by-accurascale-and-irm/&do=findComment&comment=4561662

This looks pretty damn good to me. The gangway is marginally higher on the sample but the bogie is warped very slightly too, so when that's rectified on the production models one would imagine they would be a near perfect match in terms of ride height. Very much looking forward to making up a rake of IR/IE ones like that some day. They will look fantastic together.

Hey, how come they're allowed a photo and we're not???

🤣

Going to look excellent together, but the Bachmann's will need IRM's magic "bogie and lighting" kits!

Look at the bump stops and handles on the IRM coach!

Incredible!

1096307113_Mk2height1.jpg.8bf7aeb85b02ea0b1dcabccbe3f36336.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

🤣

Going to look excellent together, but the Bachmann's will need IRM's magic "bogie and lighting" kits!

Incredible!

Opps OCD vision here spots the off parallel buffer. Presume just pre-production assembly. The close coupling and touching gangways are a stellar innovation. Look forward to these one day in IR/IE livery.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, popeye said:

I see the bogies have a bit of a curve, hopefully this will be sorted. :tumbsup:

I would imagine it would , I do wonder if IRM would be making available the 5'3" version of the  B4 & B5 as an accessory which I think would be a huge seller allowing us to convert existing stock like Mk1 GSV's , Cravens etc

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 2

On 26/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

So a lighting and 21mm bogie kit might be an idea???

11 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

I would imagine it would , I do wonder if IRM would be making available the 5'3" version of the  B4 & B5 as an accessory which I think would be a huge seller allowing us to convert existing stock like Mk1 GSV's , Cravens etc

More votes for this please

• Like 3

While asking about bits and pieces from the good lads I was taken with the long handrails  on the ends - I guess a tool exists for bending to length - bags of 20 or so would be good for me  as my efforts with a Bill Beford jig not as good as yours !     I bet you could smuggle a pile out next time somebody goes to the factory !

The deforming bogie was an issue with the Dapol N MK3 coach bogie (BT10) that also has a metal strip for pinpoints and pick ups.  IIRC correctly it was solved by letting the frames rest for a period before inserting metal part, but you still see bent ones on coaches. _ I guess the metal cools differently to warm plastic and some deformation results, but there might be a much better explanation of engineering tolerances and bogie being forced onto the metal strips. I was surprised at how well they ran with the banana effect on the video, with little twist on the bogie. 

Robert 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, seagoebox said:

Some pictures taken in Inchicore on the same date as those on page 84 of the Railway Rambler book

1884.jpg

Great pics, not long after this a massive fire destroyed the carriage shop, at least one of the imported MK2's was lost also

IE got good use out of them given they were destined for scrap initially, they traded a few old C class locos in for them with Vic Berry in Leicester, UK

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 1/9/2021 at 3:44 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

🤣

Incredible!

The wheels on the IRM bogie are 14.4mm and most other manufactures use 12.5mm so this can also increase the height.

33 minutes ago, popeye said:

The wheels on the IRM bogie are 14.4mm and most other manufactures use 12.5mm so this can also increase the height.

Actually, the wheels on the MK2 are 12mm, like most other coaches, the 14.4mm measurement is the Back-to-Back (the gap between the wheels)

B4 Bogies has 3ft diameter wheels, which is 12mm in scale

• Blackened RP25.110 profile wheel-sets with 14.4mm back-to-back measurements, and 26mm over pinpoints

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Actually, the wheels on the MK2 are 12mm, like most other coaches, the 14.4mm measurement is the Back-to-Back (the gap between the wheels)

B4 Bogies has 3ft diameter wheels, which is 12mm in scale

• Blackened RP25.110 profile wheel-sets with 14.4mm back-to-back measurements, and 26mm over pinpoints

Sorry, I misread that  in the specifications. :facepalm: