Retro livery.

Rate this topic

The 071s had a unique shade when new, when the all-White vie logo had been applied in the USA, rather than the standard version with orange surround, white letters.

The shade they were delivered in, like the logo, differed from the norm (but was repainted on first repaint). It was much more brown. The shade applied above is standard CIE from the time, and the logo, while white (as on delivery day) is of standard size rather than the slightly larger (non standard) vision that Illinois used.

Overall, though, I am sure everyone will agree that this is an absolutely fantastic job. Huge credit must go to those who suggested it and saw it through. "The Wanderer" of this community has to take the lion's share of credit for it. Mr W, there's a few pints awaiting you the next time our paths cross in Killarney!

What a change from some years ago. When the "A" class and later, the 121s, were nearing big anniversaries, suggestions were made from various quarters that one be repainted in original form. Apart from no Wanderer being available to "drive" the issue, management had no interest either.

Congratulations to all involved. Can't wait to see her in the morning and enjoy a first run; it'll take me back to my first cab run down the Cork line in 077 (I think) in 1978.....

And kept secret until about 24 hours ago, except for a VERY small number of folks "in the know"! As others have said, well done to all involved.

What about a Mk 4 set in black'n'tan for their 25th anniversary! (Always thought that would have looked well!)

Going through the seating plan for tomorrow, I see many of this community travelling as passengers. Good to see you all again!

Now the question of all time. Is that IE orange or CIE tan they used?:dig:

IE orange, the original ''yankee tan'' shade was no longer available I'm told, but it still looks great, they came in that CIE livery when they got repainted but the CIE wheel may have changed colour, but it doesn't matter, it's only a minor detail, a case of splitting hairs, great credit to all involved, does bring back memories, and adds more interest. There's barrels of IE orange in Inchicore from painting locos over the years,so plenty of that shade, still looks fantastic.

Regards

hg

Edited by h gricer

Yankee tan was dog poo brown and didn't last long.

Tan was a brown orange best represented by the phoenix paint colour.

Supertrain was also the same colour as above.

MKIII orange was the Tan diluted with about 20% white.

The paint shade on 071 above is not historically accurate. A white 3" stripe in photoshop over that shot will tell it's own tale.

That's what I was thinking when I saw it, very IE orange. Reminds me of the cab of 146 after the rebuild before they put the white stripes back on.

Just wonder how long she will last in that livery, hopefully a year or so considering the DARTs still have DART25 logos despite being 33 years old and some loco and ICRs still have their Movembers.

Edited by Railer

And kept secret until about 24 hours ago, except for a VERY small number of folks "in the know"! As others have said, well done to all involved.

What about a Mk 4 set in black'n'tan for their 25th anniversary! (Always thought that would have looked well!)

Going through the seating plan for tomorrow, I see many of this community travelling as passengers. Good to see you all again!

Yep, Everyone was not talking about it during the Wexford model show is Easter!!

Looks Fab, Might be tempted now to go to Tipp to see it today!! Need to plead now to get off a few hours early!

Two videos taken yesterday of the 071 40th Anniversary Tour. It is great to see the Orange and Black livery back again! Thanks to Irish Rail for putting in the effort in marking the anniversary.

Drumcondra Station 10.35 Dublin Connolly to Waterford

[video=youtube;Ys4ugcP-7NE]

Stacumny Bridge 16.55 Limerick Junction to Dublin Connolly

Another modeling opportunity for those so inclined and who run modern/preserved models. Obviously the loco has the modern LED marker lights, what is probably the modern shade of IE orange, no grab irons on the front of the cabs, the newer handbrake wheel and of course the flying snail is back!

IMG_5741.jpg

I believe that is due to there being some IE orange paint left but the older CIE orange being all gone.

From discussions on the day, attempts were made to get the original shade but failed due to the changes in technology (two pact paint compared to standard paint, and is chemically different)

Thanks for the comments folks - was a cracker of a day for a shot!

From discussions on the day, attempts were made to get the original shade but failed due to the changes in technology (two pact paint compared to standard paint, and is chemically different)

It's the thought that counts.

I look forward to the rest of the fleet following.....

The thing is, though, their delivery came thirteen years after the "flying snail" had been replaced by the "broken wheel"! However, their internal control desks had them, and still do. The NIR ones had them also, on delivery, and 113 wasn't delivered until 1981, getting on for twenty years after the "snail"....

I wonder if they will do a 201 like this

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8Pzma-AJE-k/maxresdefault.jpg

That was done by weathering gurus

Don't think so now after seeing 231 in the new common user livery which is just the new Enterprise livery without the red and purple swirls. I think the slate grey would look very well on the 201s, could only see it happening if they brought back some of the withdrawn 201s as they can only work freight dues to their couplings and buffers. Can't see that ever happening.