Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Neil from wheeltappersdccsound has an ESU sound project. I have it on my 3D 121. Not sure if the standard ESU decoder will fit in the new MM 121, so PM may be supplying his own decoders for this loco.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Puka8roWms

Paddy's DCC and DCC sound chips will match the PCB fitted so I don't think other chips will provide the functionality without re-programming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Neil from wheeltappersdccsound has an ESU sound project. I have it on my 3D 121. Not sure if the standard ESU decoder will fit in the new MM 121, so PM may be supplying his own decoders for this loco.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Puka8roWms

The locos in those pics appear to already have the Loksound installed so I wouldn't worry about space. Anyway, ESU produce a smaller decoder which is readily available. I'm sure the likes of Wheeltappers would supply those decoders if required.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, irishthump said:

The locos in those pics appear to already have the Loksound installed so I wouldn't worry about space. Anyway, ESU produce a smaller decoder which is readily available. I'm sure the likes of Wheeltappers would supply those decoders if required.

Any decoder with enough functions will be suitable for the 121, but they will have a lot of separate lighting configurations so reprogramming will be a daunting task if you're not experienced.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Not sure if the standard ESU decoder will fit in the new MM 121, so PM may be supplying his own decoders for this loco.

I was never worried about space inside these locos to be honest. I mean the US manufacturers can fit everything, decoders and speakers, inside slightly smaller HO models.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Asked same question a month ago - tis all very quiet.

Personally I would dial back expectations of anything soon - with China only starting to get back to limited production - id say it will be the end of the year - anything sooner a bonus.

Spoke with PM last week
Might have this a bit arseways but the jist of it is that after the Chinese New Year and the extra weeks holiday that the workers were given

any worker who lived more that 500 miles from the factory was told not to return to the factory. They ended up with around 25% of the workforce out of which not all of them were qualified to do all the different jobs on the loco. Not sure if they are training any of them to do these jobs and no word of when the loco will go into production but fingers are crossed  and the odd saint has been texted,

Any more news will be passed on as soon as it becomes available. Stay safe people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 3

45 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Spoke with PM last week
Might have this a bit arseways but the jist of it is that after the Chinese New Year and the extra weeks holiday that the workers were given

any worker who lived more that 500 miles from the factory was told not to return to the factory. They ended up with around 25% of the workforce out of which not all of them were qualified to do all the different jobs on the loco. Not sure if they are training any of them to do these jobs and no word of when the loco will go into production but fingers are crossed  and the odd saint has been texted,

Any more news will be passed on as soon as it becomes available. Stay safe people.

In the great scheme of things given the circumstances a delay is not important for consumers, but please bear in mind the financial cash flow issues the CV-19 crises could potentially pose for all manufactures using Chinese sub-contractors for their production. Patience is a virtue. If all the promised new locos don't appear until 2021 its not the end of the world, but for any medically vulnerable folk who contract CV-19 it could be the end of their world. Thanks for the heads up Dave ( @WRENNEIRE).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Not to pushed about 121's as nice as they are, Just need to get through the next weeks, Months, year without burying anyone close.

When they arrive they arrive.

Very true, a minor inconvenience in the greater scheme of things.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Noel said:

In the great scheme of things given the circumstances a delay is not important for consumers, but please bear in mind the financial cash flow issues the CV-19 crises could potentially pose for all manufactures using Chinese sub-contractors for their production. Patience is a virtue. If all the promised new locos don't appear until 2021 its not the end of the world, but for any medically vulnerable folk who contract CV-19 it could be the end of their world. Thanks for the heads up Dave ( @WRENNEIRE).

You know What Noel, I pretty well pissed of with the Chinese. Whats going to come down the line next from this crowd?

Maybe its time to bring manufacturing back home and move from that crowd. It just shows how much the planet depend on them really. If the whole of China went down we would be goosed not to mind the toys in the happy meals gone. I would not mind paying a small bit extra for good quality stuff. People might think twice about buying cheap throwaway stuff and go back to longer lasting quality products but it is all growth this and growth that looking after the uber rich and thier Mini liners in Monaco.

Seriously enough though they produce enough rubbish that we really don't need, Much of it plastic crap that the kids play with once or twice before it ends up land fill. Time to end the making of that sort of crap too. The EU should but a quality system in place to reject those sort of products from plastic rubbish toys stuck on the front of Kids mags right up to electrical goods that dont have a long life. We throw away too much these days. I am tired of it all.

The Mircowave here as gone tits up, just because one button has stopped working, Not that old either but out of Warrenty. Too Expensive to get a dude to look at it not to mind repair it, Just might have look myself to see If I can replace it with summit in the shed.

Apologies for the rant and not a 121 chat, Self islolation needed in the man cave for the day I think as I have a RC Boat to Finsh off in case me Dad pops his clogs without seeing it along with some nice music.

Bye for now

G

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

You know What Noel, I pretty well pissed of with the Chinese. Whats going to come down the line next from this crowd?

Maybe its time to bring manufacturing back home and move from that crowd. It just shows how much the planet depend on them really. If the whole of China went down we would be goosed not to mind the toys in the happy meals gone. I would not mind paying a small bit extra for good quality stuff. People might think twice about buying cheap throwaway stuff and go back to longer lasting quality products but it is all growth this and growth that looking after the uber rich and thier Mini liners in Monaco.

Seriously enough though they produce enough rubbish that we really don't need, Much of it plastic crap that the kids play with once or twice before it ends up land fill. Time to end the making of that sort of crap too. The EU should but a quality system in place to reject those sort of products from plastic rubbish toys stuck on the front of Kids mags right up to electrical goods that dont have a long life. We throw away too much these days. I am tired of it all.

The Mircowave here as gone tits up, just because one button has stopped working, Not that old either but out of Warrenty. Too Expensive to get a dude to look at it not to mind repair it, Just might have look myself to see If I can replace it with summit in the shed.

Apologies for the rant and not a 121 chat, Self islolation needed in the man cave for the day I think as I have a RC Boat to Finsh off in case me Dad pops his clogs without seeing it along with some nice music.

Bye for now

G

Hi George.

Yes I sense your frustration. But as Fr Ted famous once said about the chinatown district of craggy island, sure "They're a great bunch of lads". Yea the rot started when Bachmann Branchline's Chinese manufactured stuff first hit the market 30 years ago and knocked inferior UK built Hornby for six on quality and reliability, hence the margate toy factory closed and their production moved also to china. They've come a long way from their 1960s 'lucky bag' contents reputation.  Wither CV-19 was an accident of nature or a result of a an accident 40 years ago in cold war era chemical warfare research lab we will never know. All we can do is deal with what's in front of us now, but with the help of determined community spirit and effort combined with modern medical technology we should be able to protect as many of our elderly seniors and medically vulnerable as possible. The developing world is not as well resourced as we are in this part of the global sphere with health services and access to medical science.  But I remain optimistic that together as a community of neighbours we can limit this thing. Saw a great video yesterday from a GP basically saying we cannot avoid it, but for most there is little to worry about, and there are simple practical measures we can all take to protect our older loved ones, or loved ones with medical vulnerabilities (eg recent chemotherapy patients, CF patients, etc). I am heading now to the workbench to use my airbrush to clear my head (not literally). A few hours cutting and painting should put my head in a happier place, then its a walk with the dogs down a local wood. But if I come across any chinese panda bears I'll be sure to shoot them on sight. 🤣 (in jest) 

Cheers and keep safe.

89096174_3052628868081837_5216095647639273472_n.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

The Mircowave here as gone tits up, just because one button has stopped working, Not that old either but out of Warrenty. Too Expensive to get a dude to look at it not to mind repair it,

The internet suggests that I could be back here in half an hour with a new microwave oven for £39.

I bought one in 1983 for £180, the internet suggests that is equivalent to £522 today.

To be fair, it is still working, just, though it is getting very slow now.

I would always suggest getting an old-fashioned type, "with knobs on" - more reliable and quicker to use.

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Excellent pic! Personally I am self-isolating. Given my age and a couple of "underlying conditions" I would be among the higher risk people.

I've too much to do to get ill!

Serious point, all - stay safe.

Nice one Noel I am waiting to see what my boss at work (not the one at home) has to say if I should go back to work next week, as I have Type 2 Diabetes (all Diabetics in the UK are being lumped into one box fits all) I am told to self isolate for 12 weeks (I will go stir craze if I have to stay at home that long, if I didn’t have my modelling to get on with).  

But at the moment it appears to be  very much a suck it and see approach to this virus, no one know what is going to happen.

Lets just hope we are all here in six months time to carry on this discussion.

Colin R 

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Colin R said:

Lets just hope we are all here in six months time to carry on this discussion.

Hear hear 👍Yes indeed, and with our loved ones too. This is the time to take those hidden away kits out of the attic and get absorbed into them as a distraction. Gareth doesn't need kits he can make his own out of almost nothing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Shows how blind I am! There were several of our good folks I missed! Must go to specsavers!

No problem, You were writing a cheque at the time I think and I didn't want to distract you when you got to the zeros phase. :)   

• Funny 3

Latest news from  CODIV China 

Their main problem now is shipping, they hope the locos will be produced soon but physically getting them to our lonely green shores is now a major problem
Docks are full of essential product which will have priority. No air transport for the foreseeable future 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

No air transport for the foreseeable future = no job for me with probably future layoff!!  Can't win it seems.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:08 PM, Broithe said:

The internet suggests that I could be back here in half an hour with a new microwave oven for £39.

I bought one in 1983 for £180, the internet suggests that is equivalent to £522 today.

To be fair, it is still working, just, though it is getting very slow now.

I would always suggest getting an old-fashioned type, "with knobs on" - more reliable and quicker to use.

I would always suggest getting an old-fashioned type, "with knobs on" - - It has one knob on - Just like Myself.... Lets hope that does not stop working....

• Funny 2

On 3/18/2020 at 12:17 PM, jhb171achill said:

Shows how blind I am! There were several of our good folks I missed! Must go to specsavers!

Don't worry, Jon, I'll send you the tapes from my security cameras and you'll be able to pick him out - mind you you'll have to remember WHEN you came, otherwise about 20 hours of viewing!

Leslie

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Latest news from  CODIV China 

Their main problem now is shipping, they hope the locos will be produced soon but physically getting them to our lonely green shores is now a major problem
Docks are full of essential product which will have priority. No air transport for the foreseeable future 

He could smuggle them out one loco each inside a roll of soft velvet in a 40ft container load of said rolls. Or send them by train :) 

3 hours ago, Edo said:

Fair enough - i dont think anyone has an issue with ventilators and health equipment being at the front of the queue.....the 121s can wait in grand scheme of things 

Its getting very real today guys - stay safe.

Did you know 50% of the world's ventilators are made here in ROI? Hope its not like the potato famine and we don't export 100% of them. Keep safe, keep modelling. Expect to see many layouts progressing at a great rate of knots.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1