Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

18 hours ago, spudfan said:

P.S. It is rumoured that they are travelling overland in batches under their own power utilising the multiple unit control facility. Seems there is a delay due to bogie changes to accommodate different gauges

never mind own power, that would be a good option these days with air fright being obscenely expensive and sea being slow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiwu–London_railway_line

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 3:58 PM, Georgeconna said:

Sweet, I'll look forward to the 3 hours Sams train version at a later stage.

Yes, that’s the way an “unboxing” video should be!

I can never understand the mentality in making an epic “war and peace” out of taking something out of a box!

.......seems like making a documentary about opening a tin of beans, or a seven-part series about opening a cupboard door.....

Surely nobody buys a model just to take it out of its box....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, that’s the way an “unboxing” video should be!

I can never understand the mentality in making an epic “war and peace” out of taking something out of a box!

.......seems like making a documentary about opening a tin of beans, or a seven-part series about opening a cupboard door.....

Surely nobody buys a model just to take it out of its box....

Exactly you take it out of the box cause you wanna play with it and drive it. And then recycle the box for scenic work or structural scenic support.

• Like 1

I see another 121 is now out of stock with IRM, number 125 in B&T. These certainly are moving. I wonder is the market now there to increase production runs are maybe still the case now more than ever to pre-order everything possible until such time that enough demand is there to increase production runs so that models remain on the shelves for a bit of time.

The days of a a random impulse buy is coming to a very quick end I feel.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Funny 1

From a modeler's (or potential modeler's) point of view it's little frustrating to have thing sell out so quickly.

On the up side, they are available from other retails such as Marks Models and other retailer. Looking back at emails I guess I purchased 6 or 7 Class 071s from them several years ago so I prefer to give my business there rather than to GB retailers.  I'm sure Hattons have some too.

I prefer the IRM's website for automatic VAT deduction etc at the time of purchase (one and done)

Marks will do this for overseas but it involves an email and check the refund has been done.

It would be nice if the preorder models had an indicator of remaining supplies. IRM know how many 121 models they are selling (since they are sold out of some obviously)

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DiveController said:

From a modeler's (or potential modeler's) point of view it's little frustrating to have thing sell out so quickly.

On the up side, they are available from other retails such as Marks Models and other retailer. Looking back at emails I guess I purchased 6 or 7 Class 071s from them several years ago so I prefer to give my business there rather than to GB retailers.  I'm sure Hattons have some too.

I prefer the IRM's website for automatic VAT deduction etc at the time of purchase (one and done)

Marks will do this for overseas but it involves and email and check the refund has been done.

It would be nice if the preorder models had an indicator of remaining supplies. IRM know how many 121 models they are selling (since they are sold out of some obviously)

agree they obviously have a set number of each loco so it should be easy to start countdown at last 30 or so i was surprised that 125 was gone no warning so thats 1 loco i cant get from irm 

On 8/28/2020 at 4:06 PM, Noel said:

Exactly you take it out of the box cause you wanna play with it and drive it. And then recycle the box for scenic work or structural scenic support.

Are these guys meant to influence potential purchasers? They spend so much time unboxing the product that I end up knowing more about the packaging than the model being reviewed. Also, some of the Reviewers unbox the products on their floor the only thing I tend to remember is whether they were wearing socks [usually white] or slippers. (I think that this post should be moved to the Rant & Rave/Letting Off Steam thread)

• Funny 2

Having seen folk who have returned models as packaging to difficult  to work out  then almost anything possible and of course we overlook the newbie from out position of experience but some times the length taken does make mind boggle.    Still not three long to wait to see bank account reduced to a  smoulding desert like black hole. 

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Yep I don't understand the popularity either too but perhaps carpet layouts are more normal than we thought!

Jenny Kirk is at it too.A snip at 26 minutes unboxing a Duchess. At least her layout is daycent. The Selling or the Merchandise TAT bugs me too, the world has enough of crap as it is. Only 3.33 for a sticker. from Jenny...

• Like 2

So many of these vids......half an hour fiddling with a box, then half an hour talking about the packing, then the model is put on a bit of track. It sits there and sits, and sits, while the commentator gives us a lecture on the GX-3452/67.09 Version 4.3 sound chip.

The poor loco still has not budged.

Then, the headlights go on. Still, it sits, and sits and sits - motionless.

Now there is a distant recording of the real thing revving up. There will be four times the time taken to rev it up as on the real thing.

STILL it sits. 

Next, A lecture about the spare coupling. Now we’re back to the damn box it’s in.

The loco waits patiently, flashing its headlight, revving up a notch higher and hissing and grunting. It does not budge.

Now, and we’re an hour and 24.56 seconds in, the model revs up again and after an eternity, BARELY, just imperceptibly starts a frustratingly, and unrealistically slow crawl out of the station at a scale 2 mph. After 11.6 seconds, it’s just about made it to the end of the platform it was sitting at, as the camera turns to our host, still prattling on about bits of polystyrene and boxes.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this “Unwrapping” today, folks!

Tomorrow's tutorial will be about turning up the speed control to a scale brisk-walk, and having the train move away from a platform in less than three times the time the real ones take!

Thank you for watching.

Rant over; I’m going for my smelling salts.......!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Well to say amused by all this - the idea of picking model out by slip of polythene or in case of dapol models remove model and surrounding foam from box and then release model into the wild  is really all you need and once done is a skill. Another skill is the off button and using it, I find...  

Still despite froth on packaging looking forward to the 121 and the class 80 to follow.

• Like 1

@ Robert Shrives - I don't bother looking at them anymore as they are very annoying and seem to be more like self promotional videos rather than about the product they're reviewing. There are videos of high quality European HO model layouts so lots of them to keep me entertained. Hovermotion has a great layout [HO] and comes across as being very enthused by what he purchases.

Maybe someone on here could start doing product reviews minus the socks, slippers, shoes, wooden floors, carpets etc.

I'm sure lots of us will have plenty to say when we get our hands on the highly anticipated Murphy Models 121s - hope it's all good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Yep I don't understand the popularity either too but perhaps carpet layouts are more normal than we thought!

Jenny Kirk is at it too.A snip at 26 minutes unboxing a Duchess. At least her layout is daycent. The Selling or the Merchandise TAT bugs me too, the world has enough of crap as it is. Only 3.33 for a sticker. from Jenny...

Sadly a hybrid rather than a genuine Hornby Dublo repro. Plastic tender, no linear ring field motor, clear plastic inserts instead of the famous yellow card, box gloss finish instead of classic HD comic paper texture. A real disappointment from a nostalgia point of view despite being s super model, just not a Dublo.

45 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Next week people............
He told me not to say anything in case the ship sinks!

Tippex IE will be the last ones to arrive

So B&T in the first wave?

• 2 weeks later...

My 134 in grey arrived yesterday lovely model well impressed, the detail all round is fantastic from the detailed cab to the grilles in the bonnet. Thank you Mr Murphy .My only gripe mine is missing the front handrails , the ones by the steps so I'm now into the emailing bit . I do hope MM comes up trumps. Not Donald though!    😉

• Like 1

Holy Moly the detail inside the cab with driving controls is sublime

IMG_7801.thumb.jpg.57766be8ea319d5a88f0ad87dfb5056a.jpg

One of the high lights of this model is the see through body ventilation grills

IMG_7803.thumb.jpg.20ac5f191c1a7c0954d9688fbfc5841f.jpg

This model is multiple gears above the already superb 141/181 GMs, look at details like the wipers and window rubbers. Opps just noticed from this photo one of the cab door grab rails is missing, hadn't noticed until posting this.

IMG_7800.thumb.jpg.98eb9a84988f5b762fa787330af573a5.jpg

Decoder installation is so easy. The cover pops off easily but goes back on very snuggly when pushed back on with no gaps.

Lenz Silver+ 21 pin until the MM LokSound arrives next week.

IMG_7780.thumb.jpg.64e514aae076613351c87f540b3b12fb.jpg

Fitted Kadee No 20 to cab end, and no 19 to bonnet end.

IMG_7782.thumb.jpg.1247b553a6a930cce1a29f36fa7bec95.jpg

Kadee height perfect with the shim installed and running trials using uncoupling magnets successful

IMG_7767.thumb.JPG.7767e19f2e5bfacd804b04ffcf76a73c.JPG

A engineering and design feat to fit so much inside such a small loco. Love the finess of the wipers. The tablet catchers lacked were low profile. The more you look at this model the more things and detail you notice. Thank you Murphy Models, this model line marks one of the high points of a highly successful career in the Irish model rail business. Worth the wait and more.

IMG_7765.thumb.JPG.76ddba32feab9c6f4795e5019ca7f8bf.JPG

Thank you for your successful business products

tenor.gif.8a6fe49c04aa46deb47edd7b70e365bc.gif

IMG_7778.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

"Our ESU Sound decoder should be ready shortly for the 121."

says Charlie Petty at DC kits   when he advised on an order for some wheels this morning.    Just adding this but do not know enough about DCC and how 121 configured  to know if this is useful, I will leave that to better minds than mine ! 

Robert.  

He usually supplies the WheelTappers DCC sound decoders and a selection of speaker choices for 141 and 181s. I'm waiting on a WheelTappers decoder for B135.

10 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Only got my B134 today by post (yes, with my life history printed on the front!)....it doesn't concern me, but I wonder why it took so long? Not an issue, just curious?

Mine have been sitting in the Correos depot up north for a week, now. Already customs cleared, just sitting there with the staff looking at them, laughing at my pain...

• Like 1