Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

3 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Thought so, very noticeable on 122 . 
Nice paint job, by the way
121 looks a lot better body wise, stratification not as noticeable

Interestingly ( to hijack  for a moment)  Shapeways have announced a partnership with a supplier who is offering the materials used in some private printers that give much better results. I have a collection of 3mm items from a 3mm society member that puts Shapeways in a "cocked hat."  

Also to add Great work on the 121 and I look forward to the  finished work. 

Robert    

• Like 1

That BnT turned out nicely despite the modern LED light clusters. Yet the ST liveried version seems to display the line from the 3D print, maybe the BnT livery hides then better?

Just wondering about the retained CIE logo on the front cab, usually they stuck a smaller IR over it until they got the Tippex stripes but tbh I don't recall (m)any 121 in transitional livery whereas it was pretty common with 141 and A iirc?

Edited by DiveController

13 hours ago, DiveController said:

That BnT turned out nicely despite the modern LED light clusters. Yet the ST liveried version seems to display the line from the 3D print, maybe the BnT livery hides then better?

Just wondering about the retained CIE logo on the front cab, usually they stuck a smaller IR over it until they got the Tippex stripes but tbh I don't recall (m)any 121 in transitional livery whereas it was pretty common with 141 and A iirc?

No Kevin, I spent many hours rubbing down the B&T body to smooth out the 3D artefacts. I couldn't have been assed to do the same for 122 nor B130 as the MM 121s are on the way. The duck test applies. :) 

• Funny 1

Ah, understandable! I guess the surface is still somewhat uneven on the 3D prints. Now the there is a OO 121 I guess these 3-D printed  models will probably phase out although maybe useful in another gauge. I suppose with the current 3D print quality it may not be as useful in N gauge though but maybe better than nothing. Still it was a good bridge until the impending 121s arrived

• Like 1

Shapeways print mediums have changed over the years and WSF - white strong flexible that B1Lancer used for the 121 now is unavailable.  Smooth detail and smoothest detail while more expensive give a better finish and some N prints I have had from Recreation 21 are much better. This still eclipsed by some home printers using PLA - I have had from Lenny Sweenny  via ebay in 3mm have been as good as production plastic models.  

It was good to read Shapeways have in partnership with a materials supplier overhauled the range of materials available - but it seems the originator has to upload materials choices  or you get the cheapest option by default which is a WSF furry lookalike.   So hopefully if folk play ball Shapeways will continue to provide a good resource for modellers and many other users.  

I do agree that sanding SWF is nigh on impossible and that the Normal viewing distance and some imagineering will help (gloss over) the layering.  

Robert          

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 2:49 PM, DiveController said:

Ah, understandable! I guess the surface is still somewhat uneven on the 3D prints. Now the there is a OO 121 I guess these 3-D printed  models will probably phase out although maybe useful in another gauge. I suppose with the current 3D print quality it may not be as useful in N gauge though but maybe better than nothing. Still it was a good bridge until the impending 121s arrived

Despite all the hype around the advances is 3D printing, it's still a long way off being good enough for quality modelling in OO gauge let alone N gauge. 

• Informative 1

I have no experience of 3D print stuff, other than Silverfox models (am I right in believing that their stuff is produced this way?), so having noted the above, I wonder what opinions there might be about its suitability for "0" gauge?

A friend is currently putting together an "0" scale shunting layout, and I would pass on to him any relevant opinions.......

15 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I have no experience of 3D print stuff, other than Silverfox models (am I right in believing that their stuff is produced this way?), so having noted the above, I wonder what opinions there might be about its suitability for "0" gauge?

A friend is currently putting together an "0" scale shunting layout, and I would pass on to him any relevant opinions.......

Silver Fox are moulded resin, so the finish is a lot smoother. Whatever scale your modelling in a 3D printed model will require some finishing to removing print lines but if you're prepared to put in some work or if you can live with a cruder finish then there's no reason not to use printed models in O gauge.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Silver Fox are moulded resin, so the finish is a lot smoother. Whatever scale your modelling in a 3D printed model will require some finishing to removing print lines but if you're prepared to put in some work or if you can live with a cruder finish then there's no reason not to use printed models in O gauge.

I've seen the results of a pals resin 3D printer, much higher resolution that Shapeways. But agree low cost 3D is a long way off IMP for detail and smoothness.

Having a good look at 135 and I see it has the sand filler high up on the front of the nose. One thing I am not taken with are the high level hand rails along the side. They look very "plasticky", might be just the photo perspective. Also the body looks to be coloured plastic and not spray painted. Probably wrong but that is the impression I get. I will need to see one in the flesh to give it a proper examination.

Edited by spudfan

6 hours ago, spudfan said:

Having a good look at 135 and I see it has the sand filler high up on the front of the nose. One thing I am not taken with are the high level hand rails along the side. They look very "plasticky", might be just the photo perspective. Also the body looks to be coloured plastic and not spray painted. Probably wrong but that is the impression I get. I will need to see one in the flesh to give it a proper examination.

Hi Spudfan, I was gonna make that suggestion too after a couple of gawks of the piccys, the Grey version look very plastic with the Yellow Printed on. Time will tell I spose when you get one in the hand.

Yeah will have to wait and see the final model first hand. 

Settling for coloured plastic rather than a top quality spray coat would be disappointing but unfortunately it has happened before as with the super train MK2s. Just could not bring myself to spend the money.

5 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

Yeah will have to wait and see the final model first hand. 

Settling for coloured plastic rather than a top quality spray coat would be disappointing but unfortunately it has happened before as with the super train MK2s. Just could not bring myself to spend the money.

I have a feeling that they will be painted after reading these posts:

On 7/2/2020 at 1:58 AM, WRENNEIRE said:

No definite dates yet, but the latest I have heard is that the Grey locos will be the first to arrive, some problem arose and now it looks like the IE's are held up and the greys will be here first, they will be shipped this month.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

No George, something to do with paint not taking, there are 3 different forms of plastic on the body and I think there was a reaction with one of them
(EBay looking good for you atm!!!)

• Like 2

PS: With some unpainted plastic models a trick is to first spray with a coat of matt varnish (protecting windows with masking or they'll go milky), then apply weathering which takes to the matt varnish much better than directly onto plastic. The Matt varnish can also help get rid of the fisher price toy look of some models  coloured only by their plastic.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, spudfan said:

That clears that up.

P.S. It is rumoured that they are travelling overland in batches under their own power utilising the multiple unit control facility. Seems there is a delay due to bogie changes to accommodate different gauges

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Funny 2